Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Scholarship Winner - Shane Heslet



The dark blue plaque on the sidebar of my blog links to The Dillenkoffer Endowment which rewards gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgendered (GLBT) high school seniors who graduate from a Kansas or Missouri high school and attend a Kansas or Missouri college, maintain at least a 2.75 GPA, and make a difference through community and school involvement, with $25,000 per year in college scholarships. TDE was established in 2006 to honor Kansas City, Missouri, resident Gayle Dillenkoffer’s acceptance of diversity without judgment.

Gayle is my sister. She died two years ago of pancreatic cancer at the age of 67. She was a powerful influence in my change of heart about issues relating to LGTB folks. I'm ashamed that until so very recently - a few years ago - my heart and mind were not on the right side of the push for equality and inclusion, but that's the truth of the matter. However, I've heard it said, "There's no zealot like a convert." I hope that's true in my case.

The scholarship program began last year. Shane is the second recipient of a major scholarship from the endowment.

In his application essay, Shane wrote about the challenges many GLBT youth encounter in their daily lives: "GLBT citizens … have a tough road to become successful. We must overcome the acceptance of our peers, family, friends and everyone in our daily lives."

"Shane is helping to build a positive image for the GLBT community and is a role model to straight and GLBT young adults everywhere," says Honorary Chairman of the Endowment Frank Dillenkoffer. "He regularly volunteers for community projects and fundraisers, and tutors lower-level students. Shane aspires to be a teacher and continue his dedication to helping others, and we trust that this scholarship award will help him realize that.


I have great admiration for the courage of young people who decide early to be open and honest about their sexual orientation.

The Dillenkoffer Endowment also awarded three one-year scholarships this year to the following students:

Chelsea Masewich
of Chesterfield, Missouri—$1500

Ralph Jenkins II
of Lake St. Louis, Missouri—$1000

Trey Matzes
of Washington, Missouri—$500


I'm sure that Gayle is delighted that our fond memories of her are being honored in this manner.

18 comments:

  1. Thanks for keeping this in sight, Mimi; I've intended to since probably last year, and I hadn't chosen a June contribution yet.

    No, I didn't, but I know when I have. (Punned).

    ReplyDelete
  2. This young man will make a significant contribution to a better future.

    In contrast, what lasting good have Akinola and Jensen done?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Johnieb, my heartfelt thanks, love.

    DP, how true.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a good role model to honour the memory of your sister

    ReplyDelete
  5. Grandmere! How inspiring! God bless you for sharing this good news with us. And God bless your sister!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fr David, Margaret, last year I got to meet the scholarship recipients, and I can tell you that the committee must have had a time of it to choose the winner of the top scholarship, because all of the finalists were impressive young people.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, Mimi, and Gayle's other family members who are keeping a hand in this, for making a mitzvah so easy to choose and to do.

    I believe Godde is tickled, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember your announcing winners last year and once again my heart is warmed and encouraged by this scholarship and the young people honored with it. What a wonderful tribute to your sister Gayle.

    I will never think of the lagoon in Audubon Park without thinking of her and of you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. PS: I just donated some of my "stimulus" check to the Endowment. I know I want to stimulate something other than corporate profits! Blessings on you and all involved.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love what everyone has said, but maybe especially DP's comment.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Johnieb, I assure you that this announcement will be an annual event on this blog.

    Paul, thank you for the donation and for the lovely thought. You stimulated a good work with your stimulus check.

    For those of you who didn't read the story here, my brother-in-law and I sprinkled a few of Gayle's ashes in the lagoon at Audubon Park. Don't tell, because I don't think we were permitted to do that.

    Fran, yes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a lovely young man, and what a wonderful memorial to your sister.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Truly, I am greatly moved by the courage of these young people. Last year, one of the finalists was thrown out of his home by his parents at the age of 14, when he told them he was gay. Fortunately, another kindly family took him in, and he lived with them during his high school years.

    ReplyDelete
  14. They are incredibly brave, aren't they?

    (((Mimi))).

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think the impressive part is the kid from Washington, MO. That is not exactly an easy place to be a gay high school kid. I noticed a lot of the Mo. kids were from suburban/exurban St. Louis, where I would expect a little more tolerant atmosphere. Washington is relatively close to St. Louis but it is culturally a world of difference.

    Maybe some year I will see a name like Kirksville, Brookfield, Macon, or Moberly on there, and then I will truly cheer, because I will know the world really is changing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Kirke, maybe it won't be too very long before that happens. What about Minneapolis, Kansas? The winner last year was from there. His dad was a plain, hard-working Kansas farmer, and he was there to support his son.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Minneapolis, KS is definitely impressive!

    Don't get me wrong, the bravery of each of these kids to come out in high school is amazing. But I have to admire the rural kids in this situation even further b/c I know how peer and community pressure in small towns has a level of influence not possible in bigger towns.

    I always think back about the time I was personally denounced from a pulpit (it was during the "Procter and Gamble devil cult" urban legend the first time around in the 80's). If small town people would try to make me a pariah over the unrepentant use of a can of Comet, I can only imagine what it would be like for a high school kid to come out of the closet!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I remember the Proctor and Gamble nonsense. That started back before email but, nevertheless, it spread like wildfire.

    I'm really sorry I didn't get to meet the young people this year. I was quite moved at the gathering last year.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.