Saturday, November 8, 2008

"Fair And Tender Ladies?"


From the left: Mary, Georgianne, and Mimi

Grandpère took the picture, and he did a pretty good job of it.

Georgianne Nienaber, who wrote the much too flattering article about me for The Huffington Post, introduced me to Mary, pictured above, who lives right nearby. Imagine! During the everlasting election period, I could have had a real person to talk to about politics in this area, without ending up in a screaming match. Mary is a singer, and quite a good singer and composer. Next month, Georgianne and I will go to to hear Mary sing in New Orleans. When we were talking about going, Georgianne said, "... if Tom will let you go". I nearly fell on the floor laughing at that remark. As though I needed Grandpère's permission!

The other night, Mary, Georgianne, and I went out to eat in downtown Houma at Café Milano, an Italian restaurant, which is quite good. Houma is a few miles south of Thibodaux.

Below is a blurry picture of GP and I at the restaurant on another occasion. I forgot all about taking pictures in the restaurant that evening, because we jumped right in and hardly stopped talking long enough to eat our dinner. I believe I talked the most, but I'd let my dinner companions weigh in on that. I took home a box of leftovers which were enough for a meal the next day.

Mary and I, both being native south Louisianaians, bonded rather quickly. I'm afraid that poor Georgianne was allocated listener status for too much of the time. And she paid for the meal! She said she was enjoying watching the two of us. Mary and I knew some of the same people, as is inevitable in a town the size of ours.
 

Georgianne spent time in Congo, and the miserable plight of many of the people in the country and the constant danger for the journalists who try to tell their stories lies very close to her heart. Her latest article at The Huffington Post, titled "The World Cannot Look Away" on the people and the journalists in the eastern part of Congo is heartbreaking.

As America jubilantly celebrates the election of Barack Obama and the freedoms that predicated this historic moment, we should take pause and realize that nothing has changed for war-ravaged Central Africa. As writers for OffTheBus pack up our laptops and head on to other assignments, journalists in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) are working under deadly conditions.
....

"Our colleagues covering the conflict in the Eastern part of the Democratic Republic of Congo are incredibly vulnerable to violence and abduction," said Gabriel Baglo, director of the IFJ Africa office.
....

"The world cannot look away again as thousands suffer in eastern Congo. The people of Congo deserve more," said Juliette Prodhan, head of Oxfam in the Democratic Republic of Congo. "We have had fine words and important meetings but these must now be put into action by providing additional troops to safeguard the people. We need more urgency, more action and more commitment."
....

Congolese Tutsi rebels under General Laurent Nkunda have captured villages in eastern Kivu province, which has seen over 1.5 million refugees in the months leading up to the latest offensive. MONUC (UN Mission in DR of Congo) reports the rebels are breaking their own ceasefire.


Mary contributed a song to Congo's Angels a CD described as:

A collection of songs and poems for our sisters, mothers and daughters of the Congo.

This compilation CD is comprised of songs and poems donated y the artists to benefit FRIENDS OF THE CONGO. To learn more about FOC and its work please visit this link.


Mary's is a folk song, titled "Apollo". It's not Cajun music, but, nevertheless, she sounds like a daughter of the bayou to me. The CD is a nice mix of folk, country, R&B, (Irma Thomas), gospel, and poems, just an all-around good CD, by various artists giving of their gifts to a noble cause.

The title of this post is taken from one of the songs on the CD by Caroline Herring or from the novel by Lee Smith of the same name. Take your pick. Are we fair and tender ladies? I leave that to you.

If any of you would like to read Georgianne's article about me, here's the link. I'm embarrassed to continue to link to something so "about me", but it's good for Georgianne to get the traffic. Really.

14 comments:

  1. Umm...did you just say that Georgianne spent time in Congo? Where I hope to go next May? Thanks for the url, grandmere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scott, Georgianne is passionate about calling attention to the plight of the people in Congo. She has friends in the area near Goma. You may leave comments at Huffington Post when you read her article.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As always, I see your face and I smile. It is automatic.

    Congo- God have mercy. I am going to read the link and go check out the music.

    Coming to you briefly while I am in DC at a meeting of Americans United (separation of church and state) in DC.

    I was thinking that you would love this meeting Mimi.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good morning Mimi! I loved your recollections of our very fun dinner and conversation...even though you "had the bit in your mouth," as you like to say. Loved the tat, also!

    On a more serious note, I see that even your readers are struck silent by the IDEA of what is happening in DRC. This is always a puzzle to me. Is it that the inhumanity is simply too big to grasp? Do people feel powerless?

    I feel powerless also, but a friend recently sent these words to me, and it helps:

    "...however, there is great courage shown in standing up in the darkness and demanding in the smallest or biggest of voices, "I will have light."

    We all need to stand up together in one huge voice and DEMAND that there be light in DRC.

    So glad I met you, Mimi...you give me courage...

    GN

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was thinking that you would love this meeting Mimi.

    Fran, I have no doubt that I would have enjoyed the meeting.

    The situation in Congo is horrible, but I did not realize quite how bad, until I began to read Georgianne's work. Of course, having my eyes opened somewhat is nothing compared to the suffering of the people there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The struggles in and around east Congo have been horrific for years and gotten almost no publicity in the US. Thank you for bringing them to the attention of your readers, Mimi.

    As for you ladies, definitely fair and, I think, tender-hearted but just plain tender? I am thinking of magnolias made of steel. We should all know better than to underestimate a southern woman.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Georgianne, I loved reliving our gathering last week.

    Is it that the inhumanity is simply too big to grasp? Do people feel powerless?

    I believe that's part of it, Georgianne. We feel helpless, and we can't stand that, and so we look away.

    I'm so glad that we met. You're an inspiration, too.

    I love your quote. I must continue to remind myself to do what I can do, even if it seems like nothing at all, or, at best, much too little.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Paul, steel magnolias, eh? Georgianne's a Yankee, but we allow her honorary bayou woman status. We let almost anyone in. You know - we're inclusive.

    The saddest part of all is that the people of Congo have been suffering for so long, and that there's no end in sight.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah, but, Mimi, you must not forget my Acadian ancestors in the St. Martinsville cemetery. I had an affinity for the southland ever since I was a child and read The Yearling...I "knew" the place from somewhere..

    now the name..we need a name...

    GN
    ..at least you let me in...:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Georgianne, forgive me. I did forget. You don't need permission.

    Regarding the name, I like Evangeline, pretentious or not. What about Emilie, Madeleine, Françoise, Aimée, (like my grandmother) or Marielle?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOVE Evangeline..but feel it is iconic..could never live up to it..Marielle has possibilities..need last name..that CAN be pretentious..

    Jeanne?

    GN

    ReplyDelete
  12. Georgianne, Jeanne is good. We talked about that the other night. I may have a last name for you. You said the last name could be pretentious, right? How about LeSage? That was my maternal great-grandmother's family name. You know what it means, of course - The Wise. Hey! It sounds good to me.

    Jeanne LeSage

    Marielle LeSage

    What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely women. I would never call any of you steel magnolias (barf.) :)

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.