Tuesday, February 10, 2009

The ABC's Address To Church Of England Synod



The experiences of last summer's Lambeth Conference and last week's Primates' Meeting have left me with one or two strong impressions which seem worth sharing with Synod as it prepares for further discussion of some sensitive matters this week. Despite many predictions of doom - and a fair number of subsequent assessments of inefficacy - the Lambeth Conference at least established two things. The first was the significance of a climate in which every participant is guaranteed a hearing....

Indeed, one might say that the ABC's statement is technically correct, but what about the duly elected and consecrated bishop of the Episcopal Church who was not permitted to be a participant? What about Bishop Gene Robinson? Everyone who was included was, indeed, "guaranteed a hearing", but Bishop Gene's voice was never heard, because he was not allowed to be present.

What good does it do to put a good face on the process at Lambeth, while simply ignoring the exclusion of Bishop Gene? I'm tempted to dismiss every word of the ABC's address that follows, because he refuses to acknowledge or address the exclusion, which was his very own doing, but, I won't.

He goes on about mission and the horrific plight of the church in Zimbabwe and of supporting the the church there by prayer and practical help, a good thing, surely. Then on to self-restraint and moratoria for we know whom. The burden of self-restraint and moratoria on the backs of our LGTB brothers, will, I hope, be lifted in the Episcopal Church. As to the incursions into the territory of the Episcopal Church and the Anglican Church of Canada by unauthorized bishops, who believes that these will cease?

Yet last week, all the Primates who had attended GAFCON were present, every one of them took part in daily prayer and Bible study alongside the Primates of North America and every one of them spoke in discussion. In a way that I have come to recognise as very typical of these meetings, when talk of replacing Communion with federation of some kind was heard, nearly everyone reacted by saying that this was not something they could think about choosing.

Well, whoop-de-doo! The GAFCON primates were present, and they all spoke. A federation is not something which can be agreed to now. Excellent.

It appears that Primates are not contaminated by sharing Scripture studies, but sharing the Lord's table is in another category altogether.

No-one wants to rest content with the breach in sacramental fellowship, and everyone acknowledges that this breach means we are less than we are called to be. But the fact that we recognise this and that we still gather around the Word is no small thing; without this, we should not even be able to hope for the full restoration of fellowship at the Eucharist.

Perhaps, there is hope.

And there are those in the Church of England who are adamantly opposed to women bishops, and on the other side, those who believe that it must happen.

This is not the place to elaborate on what that could mean in practice, but it does no harm to hold in mind the vision of a Church in which a difficult plurality of conviction will not simply be done away with by decree. This is not, though, simply a matter of tolerating private views, since it bears on the public life and worship of the church. If I hear correctly what is being said by those opposed to the Code of Practice currently on the table, they are asking what more might be offered to secure some kind of continuity of pastoral care for congregations and clergy unwilling to accept women as bishops, and some measure of organisational (including sacramental) coherence for them, rather than being wholly dependent on ad hoc provision and local chance.

Wholly tongue in cheek, how about a team from ACNA, The Anglican Church in North America, the parallel "province-in-waiting" as Mark Harris calls it, to help the Church of England along with providing pastoral care for all?

Once I quieted down from my "guaranteed a hearing" outrage, I gave the ABC's address far more time and attention than I intended to - a fairly close reading and an admittedly quite personal commentary.

UPDATE: H/T to The Lead for the link to the ABC's address, which I should have acknowledged from the beginning.

21 comments:

  1. Dang --I love it when you preach it Grandmere!!!

    God bless you!

    --it's margaret (from work!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Margaret, thank you. Sometimes I wonder why I bother, but responding to the ABC's words helps me to clarify my own thinking, which is not a bad thing at all. Plus, he doesn't answer back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dammit, +Rowan, the Communion you have _is_ a federation, and one of its fundamental problems is your bloody-minded, and (in your own country) unconstitutional insistence on turning it into something other than that. Only someone so brilliant as you would have the excess mental energy available to devote to so determinedly ignoring the facts of history.

    ---

    There, I feel better now. Thank you, Grandmere.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 4 May, I'm pleased to give you a forum to vent.

    I'd say that the Communion is something less centralized than a federation. The provinces are autonomous. The only power the ABC wields is to invite or disinvite bishops to Lambeth and set the agenda, a not inconsiderable power, but not one that involves day to day governance in the provinces in any manner.

    Quoting the words from the Instruments of Communion:

    Their churches are autonomous yet inter-dependent in their relationships with each other.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As far as I'm concerned, there's still no Communion without communion at the Table.

    I could be wrong, but I believe ACNA is itself divided over the issue of women clergy. xIker is dead-set opposed, and xDuncan is not, I believe. They may well split themselves over this issue, among others.

    ReplyDelete
  6. CL, I agree with your first statement. In that sense the Communion is already broken.

    The entities that make up ACNA are here, there, and everywhere, certainly not of one mind in all matters of faith and practice. We'll see how long they hang together.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also agree with CL regarding the state of the Anglican Communion. If we can't gather around the Communion table as the Body of Christ, we aren't a Communion.

    As for the ACNA: it has been obvious to me from the beginning that all they agree on is their dislike of TEC and their own righteousness. One group I know of (split from the parish I belong to) has a woman priest assisting and uses the '76 BCP, yet they are proud members of ACNA. Reality will hit before very long. Right now it is still an exciting new venture for all involved. The honeymoon won't last forever.

    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  8. Most seem not to understand that we have entered a post-partisan age. It happens about every 500 years. The old guard either drowns or gets eroded away by the river of change, grain by grain. The wise go with the flow and remain part of it. God bless us all. It's not an easy era.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mimi reads these things so we don't have to. Thanks, GM.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Elizabeth, we three agree.

    Scott, do you think that I was too partisan? I thought my response was rather mild, but upon rereading it seems rather more sharp than I realized.

    Paul, a slight tendency to masochism perhaps? I don't know what makes me do this stuff, but there was the link at The Lead, and, of course, I had to follow it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. grandmere,

    no no no. I was talking about those other people - the ones who "think in two's" - the ABC, Petey, etc. Sorry for not being more clear!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Scott, I WAS angry about "guaranteed a hearing" when I wrote my commentary. That's why I asked.

    ReplyDelete
  13. (why am I hearing "Steam Heat" in the back of *my* head?)

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Scott, the water has nearly boiled away. Time to remove the kettle from the fire.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Akinola is on top form now anyway, so it'll all end in tears.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It appears that Primates are not contaminated by sharing Scripture studies, but sharing the Lord's table is in another category altogether.¨ GM

    As far as I´m concerned this is the END of MY listening, and or any respect for the spiritual guidance of any of these GS/BS wackos...Queer or not, ready or not, they are bungling idiots who intend to, and do, harm others at Church.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Don't you get the feeling that the GAFCON crowd is made up those people who, as children, were admonished on their report cards for "not playing well with others"?
    I'm part of a parish that split four years ago. And the other day, somebody remarked that newcomers find our church "friendly and welcoming"...a sign that "the split" did something good!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Maybe, just maybe, it's time we made it clear to our bishops and our primate that, regardless of how they feel on the issue, the people of the Episcopal Church are no longer in communion with Rowan's little club. The AC is like any other organization they choose to belong to privately, and, like those, they can pay the membership dues and transportation themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The Episcopal Chruch will do what it will do at GC this year. Those at the meeting will not take instructions from the likes of Abp. Akinola. If, as a result of the actions taken at GC, TEC is thrown out of the Communion or marginalized by being assigned to a lower class of membership, then so be it. I pray that with the help of God's grace and the guidance of the Holy Spirit the leaders gathered at GC will do the right thing.

    I'm not in the business of declaring who is in and who is out of the Communion, or who should be in or out of the Communion. That's for others to say.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I understand that some people are opposed to women bishops. I do understand that. It doesn't need to be explained to me. I recognize misogyny when I see it all my self, thank you.

    But, my own little prejudice against idiot bishops gets no mention at all. And, I am truly opposed to them. I'm an idiotphobe. A idiot bishop phobe.

    I often thing that it's too bad stupidity wasn't mentioned somewhere there in Deuteronomy.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lindy, if you form an idiotphobe club, I will join.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.