Tuesday, July 21, 2009

St. John's Episcopal Church - Thibodaux

Last night, Lisa Fox at My Manner of Life challenged me to a pictures-of-our-churches duel. It was too late, and I was too tired to do it last night, but Lisa got a second wind and posted her pictures late yesterday. I saved my efforts for this morning. Lisa has the clergy and the congregation in hers, but our church is so small that the people would be recognizable, so I waited until they had left to take my pictures, because I was not sure they'd want to be on the internet.

 

Here's my church, here's the steeple (belfry), open the door, and all the people have left. The parish was founded in 1843 by Rt. Rev. Leonidas Polk, and the church building was completed in 1844. The church originally had a porch with columns, but the porch was enclosed and is now the narthex. An extensive renovation was completed in 2001, but the on-going maintenance costs continue to be high.

As a youth, Bishop Polk, known as the Fighting Bishop, attended West Point and when the Civil War began, he joined the Confederate Army. He wasn't a very good military strategist, but he cared well for his troops. He was shot in battle in Georgia and is buried there.


The view of the sanctuary of the church shows the stained glass window of St. John the Evangelist, holding a chalice with a snake coming out of it. According to legend, the emperor Domitian offered poisoned wine to John, but he blessed the wine and the poison came out of the cup in the form of a snake.

The beautiful needlepoint kneeling cushions at the communion rail were a years-long project of the Episcopal Church Women of St. John. I was asked to do background fill for the needlework, but once I saw the lovely work that other more talented women had done with the designs, I declined, because I knew my needlework skills were not up to par even to do the background.

 

The unusual kneelers in the church are in a fixed position, halfway between up and down. The undocumented story is that they were built in that manner to accommodate women's hoop skirts, which makes sense to me. Or else, the position may represent halfway between Catholic and Protestant custom, the Via Media, so to speak.

 

In the choir loft are the pipes and other innards of our old organ. The pipes that you see in the picture are decorative only. The true sounding pipes are behind them and are visible only on the sides of the organ from a position in the choir loft and cannot be seen from the nave.

The organ, which dates to the late 19th century, was originally in an Episcopal mission church in the Northeast, and the church authorities wanted to get rid of it and were willing to give it away to anyone who would dismantle it and cart it away. Jim Hammann, who restored the organ, took it apart, transported the parts to New Orleans, rebuilt the organ, and installed it in our church for quite a reasonable price, or we would not have been able to afford it.

 

The cabinet of the organ console is completely new, since the original was unsalvageable.

UPDATE: From Ormonde Plater at Through the Dust:
After his death in 1864, Polk was buried in Augusta, Georgia. In 1945 his body and that of his wife were disinterred and buried in Christ Church Cathedral, New Orleans. They are on the right, or downtown, side aisle near the organ console. Worshippers returning from the altar rail have to step around them. (Bishop Iveson Noland, who died in a plane crash in 1975, and his wife are in the opposite aisle.)

I once asked the bishop how come we got the Polk bodies back from Georgia. He replied: "The UDC did it." That's United Daughters of the Confederacy, at that time more powerful than an altar guild.
Thanks, Ormonde. I did not know that. I'm happy to pass on the information to my readers. Next time I visit Christ Church, I'll be sure to look for the grave marker.

Note: To lend perspective to the chunk of time that blogging takes from my life, this post took approximately three and a half hours, with breaks for breakfast, to load the dryer and fold the clothes in need of immediate folding or they would be wrinkled, and have an argument with Grandpère about his negative attitude versus what he calls my don't-care attitude. Just so you'll know how much time a post like this takes. Of course, I may work at a slower pace than other blogggers. I don't know how Lisa did her wonderful post in the late hours last night, because we are in the same time zone, and I was way too tired and would have made a botched mess of a post, had I done mine then.

22 comments:

  1. Nice.

    Here is the message I left over at Lisa's blog in response to her call for links to pictures:

    Last summer and this summer I have spent my mornings at Church of the Rolling Hills but with the move back to Chicago next week I expect to spend more time at one of the places in this diocese.


    (just having fun. sort of. honestly I am trying to make up my mind between All Saints in the Ravenswood neighborhood and Church of Our Savior in the Lincoln Park area. It will take a few visits with each to decide.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dennis! I fell for your Church of the Rolling Hills and clicked the link. You're very naughty.

    The two churches in Chicago both look like possibilities. Take as much time as you need to decide. I gather that neither is the high-Anglican church that your partner loves. If not, may I suggest that you give him a break and go with him from time to time for his silk and lace, candles and processions, smells and bells fix. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sometimes go to the local university church (I know I'm an atheist but one does get tempted when the minister preaches on what atheists get right; they also have good concerts). (One of the ministers is apparently a collateral relation of your Bishop Polk.)

    The original donor did go overboard on the decoration (late Victorian) and not always high quality. She did insist that a large number of women from the Bible be depicted. The organs are fantastic (at least the three I've heard).

    BTW Diocletian lived in the late 3rd century, I know John the Evangelist was suppose to have lived a long time but 250 years seems a bit much :-).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Grandmere --I love this post--and I love you for posting it.

    Thank you. You have a lovely church, and I admit--I have NEVER seen kneelers like that!

    --it's margaret

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh God, there is one very spooky high church parish in Chicago that just gives me the shivers. That place is out of control.

    It is the kind of place that keeps girl cooties away from the altar and likes Latin anthems. It is where fiddleback chasubles go to die. Among the old lace.

    Just precious, really.

    Not too far from there (also north of the Loop) is a wonderful parish that has Morning Prayer every other Sunday as their main service, which is just fine with me. High-Protestant.

    But I figured that the two places that I am considering are enough of a compromise. Standard middle church 1979-BCP kinds of places. Easy to get to run of the mill average Episcopal parishes.

    And All Saints is where the group started that became the Chicago Consultation, so I'm giving it a lot of thought.

    But I can't promise that the Chicago Park District golf courses won't win out pretty often.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Erp, what a grand church, really beautiful, a feast for the eyes. It's quite a contrast to our simple. unadorned church. We have six grand, high, clear old-glass windows, three on each side, that flood the church with light, and which don't show in any of the pictures.

    As to the discrepancies in dates between St. John and Diocletian, what can I say? A legend is a legend is a legend. as Gertrude Stein would say.

    Thank you, Margaret. I believe that our kneelers are unique. What I do and what most people do is rest their knees on the kneelers and their bums on the seat, just the way the Roman Catholic nuns forbid us to do in elementary and high school. It feels good, a kind of revenge on the nuns for the reprimands, although most of the nuns who taught me were good, intelligent women, and I'm thankful to them for educating me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dennis, oh my, oh my, oh my! The works, huh? A spectacle every Sunday. Sometimes I doubt that you are gay. You should love this kind of stuff over the manly man golf course.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I must confess to having a soft spot in my heart for Ascension in Chicago. I wouldn't call it spooky but it is hard to imagine being an active member of the parish (unless I could somehow hide behind my husband's skirts, so to speak -- he was the one who introduced me to it). It just was a lovely place to escape to now and then -- the blue and gold, the music, and the great choreography.

    Truly, I have always been treated very cordially there but... one of my strangest church adventures was being there on Mother's Day several years ago. My daughter, around 9 then, was playing in a soccer game in a southern suburb and I took a wrong turn heading home and ended up near downtown and decided we should go there because it was close by. So there I was, just about the only woman in the place (except for a couple of nuns and a very aged mother accompanying her adult son), and my daughter in her soccer uniform was... well, not quite part of the setting, although she was well-trained back then to sit quietly and daydream unobtrusively.

    I'm not quite sure what to make of that kind of Anglo-Catholicism, but I am glad there are still some places like that (unless they further encourage folks to stay in the closet -- not sure where the various big city Anglo-Catholic parishes are as far as that is concerned). I like the incarnational theology behind the liturgy, but I suppose at some point it can be too theatrical for a church home unless one is really deeply into that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A lovely church with such a long history! My small church only goes back to the 40s but I love it just like you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Klady, that kind of service every Sunday would be way too rich for me. An occasional visit is fine. Your daughter in her soccer uniform? Oh dear.

    Ciss, I love my church building maybe too much. It's only a building after all, but the thought of the many generations who worshiped there and their prayers that still linger is quite appealing to me.

    The rector recently baptized a baby who was the fifth generation of the family who worshiped there on one side, and the fourth generation on the other side. He is truly the church's baby.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your church is beautiful and reminds me some of Saint Mary's that I left. I like the simple churches as well as the Gothic ones.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A lovely church home, Grandmère!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Grand-mere, St. John's is a lovely neo-classic church--very appropriate for Southern Louisianna!!

    Our Church, Trinity Memorial Episcopal (at trinitymemorial.org) in Binghamton, NY couldn't be more different if you tried. Neo-Gothic in native blue(sand)stone -- actually a lovely soft bluish grey it has a lovely oak vault, a mix of Tiffany and neo-Gothic stained glass.

    But most importantly it has a marvelous congregation of progressive, flexible, radically inclusive Episcopalians...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well, I love my old, simple church, but I like other styles of churches, too.

    What got Lisa and I to talking about our churches is the costly maintenance that old buildings require, and we wondered at what point does the maintenance of an old building take too much of a bite out of a church budget? I don't have the answer, but it's a question many a vestry member may be asking before too long.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Current work on our church, mainly the roof and spire is costing over 1 million dollars. Fortunately being the oldest church in the city and a heritage listed building, a lot of the money is coming from government and business. On the other hand we were told to remove large information signs about church activities as they were not in accord with the heritage status. There was an anonymous complaint to the city council.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for this, Grandmère. What a lovely church! I adore its simpllicity and its gradeur.
    It is indeed "meet and right."

    Those kneelers are a wonder. Never seen anything like that. But I suppose it suits your hoop skirts well. {grin!}

    Thanks for doing this, Mimi.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It is very lovely!

    I don't know what I was expecting in Louisiana - a more "florid" French style, I suppose, rather like the Catholic cathedral in Savannah. This one has the feel of the Episcopal churches, including the cathedral, I found in Boston.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Mimi, I LOVE your church! Just looking at the photos filled me with a sense of peace. Truly lovely.

    My home church is only 14 years old and was built on a strict budget. There are no pews, only stacking chairs, the sanctuary doubles as an "all purpose room", there aren't enough nearly enough secondary rooms and the kitchen is woefully inadequate. We are looking to expand, but how much and for what purpose, is the issue. We are trying to come up with something that will allow us to make the facilities more useable for our wider suburban community and also meet the needs of the worshipers. At the same time, we are struggling with the idea of putting money into bricks and mortar, rather than programs. There is a LOT to consider!

    ReplyDelete
  19. A little too Southern (the church) for my taste, ..but then I'm used to the Granite structures up North,..you know the Episcopal ones!!

    Central Florida is a waste of my time ...church wise.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lisa, you connected the dots. I always suspected Mimi wore hoop skirts when I wasn't looking.

    Not.

    A lovely church, Mimi, and I rejoice that it is a rich, prayerful home for you.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Well, as I said, I love the church. It reminds me of Congregational Churches in New England, but, of course, classical revival architecture was popular in this area at the time, as proved by the many plantation homes constructed in the style.

    Paul, me in a hoop skirt and tightly-laced corsets? I can't see it. What a foolish style of dress. The corsets were an abomination.

    ReplyDelete
  22. He [Leonidas Polk] was shot in battle in Georgia and is buried there.

    After his death in 1864, Polk was buried in Augusta, Georgia. In 1945 his body and that of his wife were disinterred and buried in Christ Church Cathedral, New Orleans. They are on the right, or downtown, side aisle near the organ console. Worshippers returning from the altar rail have to step around them. (Bishop Iveson Noland, who died in a plane crash in 1975, and his wife are in the opposite aisle.)

    I once asked the bishop how come we got the Polk bodies back from Georgia. He replied: "The UDC did it." That's United Daughters of the Confederacy, at that time more powerful than an altar guild.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.