Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Please Pray For Bishop Marc Andrus

Dear Fr. Jonathan,

I'm asking to add a prayer request, but not until after the official announcement from here on Monday the 14th. My bishop, Marc Andrus, has received a diagnosis of prostate cancer, and will undergo surgery on 28 September. I believe the prognosis is good - a couple of our co-workers are four-plus years after the same surgery, as is my own father - but the worries are always there for all of us, and of course especially for him and his wife and his daughters.

In the past couple of weeks, I've ceased being Bishop Marc's assistant, and now am focused on my ongoing job as vocations coordinator and working with our communications department. I haven't had as much opportunity to visit the site of late, but keep the community in mind & prayer always.

In peace and with thanks,
Mary Beth



From Fr Jonathan (aka MadPriest).

8 comments:

  1. Oh no - many prayers. I read Marc Andrus blog, although not regularly.
    He seems wise and like a good man.

    Prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bp. Marc is a good man. I'm very sorry to hear this, but I'm pleased to hear that his prognosis is good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Mimi, thank-you for getting this to us, sad news as it might be.

    Bishop Marc is indeed a living blessing for our Church, and prayers offered and ongoing here

    David@Montreal

    ReplyDelete
  4. If it is any consolation, I had the surgery just over five years ago, and am feeling fine!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tobias, it's very much a consolation to hear the success stories. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Prayers offered for Bp Marc - he is my bishop too. (Well, I pray for him every night, but now with more specificity.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fortunately, there is excellent prognosis for most prostate cancer these days.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was fortunate to meet Bishop Marc when he served the Diocese of Alabama. His prophetic advocacy for the poor and for the environment created a legacy that that the Diocese is still developing. Alabama's loss has become The Episcopal Church's gain as his institutional shackles were removed (he was Bishop Suffragan, so could not publicly break with Bishop Parsley)- he protests against Iraqi occupation (an Episcopal bishop arrested!) and has advocated for ALL Episcopalians and non-Episcopalians.

    One thing about Marc- his smile. May we see this smile for many years to come.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.