Friday, January 8, 2010

WHEEE!!! I CAN SEE!!!


After cataract surgery, patients must wait at least a month for vision to settle in to what it will be permanently. For over one and a half months, I've been driving with what I was told was sufficient visual acuity in my right eye to pass the eye test for a driver's license. What can I say? To me, it seemed that my distant vision was not that good, so I drove only in my little town, where I know where I'm going, and I didn't need to read street signs or speed limit signs.

Today, I finally picked up my glasses, and it's a whole new world of clarity out there - 20/15 vision. How about that? I can see well up close and in the middle distance without glasses, but I will still need bifocals, because I can't see up close with the distance vision prescription. I'd hoped to be rid of bifocals, but it's not to be. Sigh.... On the other hand, around the house, I don't need glasses at all. Don't get me wrong; I'm not complaining. I'm quite thankful for my new, improved eyesight and my successful surgery.

Note: The original image which I used in my post is back up, but I don't know for how long. The link is to another website, Roadside Scholar. Let's see if the chart will remain for a while.

23 comments:

  1. You are already dangerously perceptive... and now with actual vision clarity? We will have to stand back! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! That is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks everyone. I'd posted a hilarious eye test chart, but the owner took it away. I suppose I was to have asked permission, or bought the chart, or something. Here's what I remember of it.

    O
    MG
    WTF
    STFU
    PWN3D
    LMAOROTF

    ReplyDelete
  4. Qapla'!

    I'm very happy for you, Mimi!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Prayers of thanksgiving and sundry jubilation.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks everyone. I want the other eye chart back. It's no longer visible even for a link.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Qapla'!

    Mark, thanks, but if you keep that up, you'll forget how to speak English.

    ReplyDelete
  8. PDNWOTGIYAGA

    This was a sign at my college posted at the edge of the lawns telling us to keep off them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Grandmère, I followed the link and downloaded the original eyechart before it came down and printed it out for my next opthalmologist visit in Feb. He is a rather straight-laced Southern Baptist, but I am going to tell him it came from a sweet Episcopal Church Woman in Thibodeaux, LA. I am going to try to keep a straight face. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Caminante, what is "AGA"?

    Boocat, can you send me the eye chart in an attachment? Or at least the rest of the lines? I won't post it again, but I'd like to have a copy to keep and print.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats, Mimi. There will be no stopping you now ... as if there ever were a chance of that!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great news. I'm glad for your restored vision.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Enjoy!

    I too got new eyeglasses, about two years past due. Damnable progressive lenses! I bet they're revisionists too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. KJ, I'm told that after cataract surgery, vision doesn't change that much, so you can wear out glasses. I tried the progressive lenses, but they made me nauseous, and I had to go back to bifocals. I hope yours work for you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The original, hilarious eye chart is back up at the head of the post. How long it will remain, I don't know.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Did it just reappear, Mimi? If so I am sure it is an Epiphany miracle!

    The word thingy is "stionm," as in St. Ionm has performed a miracle.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Susan, I grabbed the chart from another web site and gave due credit. It was silly for the owner of the original site to remove the chart, because they sell t-shirts and other stuff, and my readers (and possible buyers) were visiting their website.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, so it was originally on Roadside Scholar then. . . I am so unenlightened in the ways of the web.

    ReplyDelete
  19. No, Susan. I won't even mention the original website, because the owner made my image disappear. Roadside Scholar is the second source. We shall see if RS can or will choose to do the disappearing act for the chart. I located the image from Google, which listed the other site as the only source when I wrote the post. Today, there are two other sources. Boocat had captured the chart while it was still up and emailed me a copy, but I would not post it as long as the image was available from only the original source, who may not actually own the chart, but is just not good about sharing.

    Does my essay length answer help?

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.