Saturday, May 28, 2011

BOUDREAUX MAKES A DEAL

Boudreaux and Aucoin are walking down the street in Beaumont, right over the Louisiana line in Texas, and they see a sign on a store which reads:

Suits $5.00 each!
Shirts $2.00 each! Pants $2.50 each!

Boudreaux says to his pal, "Look here, Auc, we could buy a whole gob of these, take 'em back to Weswego, sell 'em to our friends and them other coonasses down in the bayou, and make a fortune. Just let me do the talkin' 'cause if they hear your accent, they might think we're ignorant Cajuns, and won't wanna sell that stuff to us. Jes watch, I'll talk real sophisticated so's they think we is from Lufkin or somewhares over here in Texas."

They go in and Boudreaux says with his best fake sophisticated Texas accent, "I'll take 50 of them suits at $5.00 each, 100 of them there shirts at $2.00 each, 50 pairs of them there pants at $2.50 each. I'll back up my pickup and..."

The owner of the shop interrupts. "Ya'll Cajuns are from over by Jeanerette, New Iberia or somewheres, aren't you?"

"Well...yeah," says a surprised Boudreaux. "How come you knowed that?"

"Because this is a dry cleaners."

A joke about my own people. I should be ashamed. I blame Doug.

The truth is that I had a good laugh before the punch line of the joke at "best fake sophisticated Texas accent".

10 comments:

  1. I am so loving it. Thank you, Mimi, I needed a chuckle today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paul, you know me. I'm always ready to oblige.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is "Aucoin" a common Cajun name? (That was the name of one of my first bosses. A Congressman. In Oregon, not Loosiana!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lapin, you're welcome.

    JCF, Aucoin is quite a common name in south Louisiana.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happened to see this
    http://scienceblogs.com/tfk/2011/05/zack_kopplin_rocks.php
    shortly before heading over here. If you don't watch out for these school kids, they'll completely undermine Louisiana's reputation.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice joke! I didn't know there were cajun jokes. Like Polish jokes in Minnesota, Belgian jokes in the Netherlands, aggie jokes here in TX etc.Same premise. Off topic but a name question came to me by on the question of Aucoin. Why are so many women named Eliska in Louisiana?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Porlock, Zack Kopplin is a smart and courageous young man. He is one of my heroes, too.

    Hello, Heidi. Have you never before heard of the Boudreaux/Thibodaux jokes? Those are the two names generally used in the Cajun jokes. Many of the jokes are interchangeable if you alter the ethnic details.

    "Aucoin" is a departure from the norm, but it is a common surname in south Louisiana.

    About "Eliska", I have never known anyone named Eliska. To me it does not appear to be a common name.

    ReplyDelete
  8. thanks about Eliska. My husbands grandmother from Louisiana was named Eliska. And in looking at the distribution of first names by state,there are very few in the entire country, but 25 in Louisiana. There was a riverboat in the 1840 named the Eliska, perhaps there is a connection. Eliska is a Czeck diminutive form of Elisabeth.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Heidi, I suppose that the name is more common in Louisiana than in the rest of the country, but I've never run into one of the Eliskas.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.