Friday, May 13, 2011

MAP OF AREA THAT MAY BE FLOODED BY OPENING MORGANZA FLOODWAY


Click on the map for the enlarged view, and then click again for magnification. For those of you who may be concerned about us, you will see from the map that we are not in a zone which will be flooded when the Morganza Floodway is opened tomorrow. Thibodaux is just south of the center of the map.

The floodway will be opened to send more water down the Atchafalaya River basin in order to lower the volume of water in the Mississippi River from above Baton Rouge and New Orleans to prevent the river from overtopping the levees and to relieve pressure on the levees to prevent breaches which would flood a much larger number of people than those who will be flooded by opening the floodway. I feel sad for those who will be inundated, but even if the Morganza Spillway gates were not opened, certain areas near the Atchafalaya River would flood, because of water spilling over the top of the floodway gates. Water is lapping at the gates and leaking through them already.

I hope what I've written makes sense. Thank you for your concern.

18 comments:

  1. Thinking of you, sending prayers to all along the great river.



    Word verif: coint.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stay high and dry, Mimi! (Well, dry anyway. The former is up to you. ;-/)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jane, thanks. Keep the prayers coming.

    JCF, dry we'll be, and high is beginning to look good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The map is just a possible scenario from opening the Morganza today. It doesn't mean they WILL flood, just that those areas may or may not be flooded. The map doesn't take levees and elevation into account.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fred, I enjoyed my time off very much. I may stretch it out a little longer.

    Anonymous, you are correct, as the disclaimer on the map reminds us. I changed the headline from "will" to "may" flood.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for this. I was worried.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a lot of water. Shall I send wellies?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rick, thanks for your concern. I thought I should break radio silence to assure everyone that we will be fine.

    "Sir", I have wellies, but thanks for thinking of me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I guess having the warning is helpful to folks, but it must still be pretty scary for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Never mind my facebook message, I realized I should check your blog too. My prayers for all of you, though glad you should be out of the path of the flooding...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Renz. I just answered your message and told you to check out my post here. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Grandmere --looks like you are between two great rivers.... you are all in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  13. margaret, we should be fine as long as the Old River Control Structure holds and as long as there are no breaches in the levees along the Mississippi River from above Baton Rouge to New Orleans. If the ORCS fails or breaches develop in the levee, then I don't know if anyone is sure what will flood. Experts say that neither of these catastrophic events is likely to happen. I hope they're right.

    ReplyDelete
  14. IT, I missed your comment. Yes, the situation is scary for a good many folks around here.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mimi--praying, as always, for you and yours, and for all in harm's way now.

    Much love,
    Doxy

    ReplyDelete
  16. Doubt we'll get much flooding in my area, but I am concerned about our water supply being contaminated. It's happened for hurricanes so I'm assuming it could happen with this.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Doxy, thank you for the prayers, m'dear.

    Melanie, I hope you don't flood. Have a supply of bottled water on hand. Our water is usually okay, so you can come fill up at my house if you run out. Seriously.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.