Thursday, May 19, 2011

THE VETERINARIAN'S MOM


One Sunday, as he was counting the money in the weekly offering, the pastor of a small church found a pink envelope containing $1,000. It happened again the next week!

The following Sunday, he watched as the offering was collected, and saw an elderly woman put the distinctive pink envelope on the plate. This went on for weeks until the pastor, overcome by curiosity, approached her.

"Ma'am, I couldn't help but notice that you put $1,000 a week in the collection plate," he stated.

"Why yes," she replied, "every week my son sends me money, and I give some of it to the church."

The pastor replied, "That's wonderful. But $1000 is a lot; are you sure you can afford this? How much does he send you?"

The elderly woman answered, "$10,000 a week."

The pastor was amazed. "Your son is very successful; what does he do for a living?"

"He is a veterinarian," she answered.



"That's an honorable profession, but I had no idea they made that much money," the pastor said. "Where does he practice?"

The woman answered proudly, "In Nevada. He has two cat houses...one in Las Vegas, and one in Reno."



Don't blame me. Blame Sue T. I can't blame her at all for the cute kitteh pictures.

7 comments:

  1. At times like this, I am so proud to be a Nevadan. ***sigh***

    Actually, such establishments are not allowed in Reno or Las Vegas, but only in small counties.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh dear :) I guess at least some of the cash was going to a good cause.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rick, I know what you mean. I live in Louisiana.

    Cathy the woman's son must have run high class cat houses to rake in enough money to give his mother ten grand a month. At least, he thought of his elderly mother and she, in turn, thought of the church.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A friend - a cat lover and an Italian, unfamiliar with some aspects of colloquial English - hung a carefully-crafted sign in her driveway, in an expensive, "genteel" section of town, that read "The Cat House". She could not understand why several of her neighbors complained.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some neighbors will complain about anything!

    I love this joke. I had heard it before but had forgotten it. Thanks Mimi!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Roger, I love it, especially in a genteel part of town. Did your friend take the sign down?

    susan s., I love the joke, too. I was surprised at the end, even with all cat pictures. The bottom picture moves, but I don't know how to include the motions on Blogger.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Eventually, after she complained to a male friend that her neighbors were strange, stuffy people. She explained why, and when he'd finished rolling around the floor, screaming with laughter, he told her what she'd done.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.