Sunday, October 14, 2012

MEDITATION ON JOB BY MARTHE

"Job's Torment" by William Blake




for my friends of faith who may not be reading my favorite church blog ... on occasion I write a little meditation based on the assigned texts for the week that my friends in Boston use (composed of things this amateur sees when reading, thinking about what it all might mean) ... and by the way, it makes the most sense if you read the texts noted ... a little thinking of a day ...

peace be and be

Marthe


Proper 22 Meditation

Job 1:1, 2:1-10, Heb. 1:1-4, 2:5-12, Mark 10:2-16
Ah, Job, no doubt of his integrity 
while certain of his blessings, fresh with vows 
of faithfulness and works of charity, 
flush with the love of his generous God! 
His obedience stood up to the loss 
of goods and servants and even offspring, 
no sin of the lips, no curse did he toss 
into his well of naked suffering. 
To love and to be loved with one’s whole self, 
a yearning children know and adults hide, 
shroud in rules, dusty scrolls on a shelf, 
to veil hearts hardened in the to and fro 
of risk and error wandering, contracts 
masquerading as the holy union 
of created partners drawn to compacts 
of unconditional love responding, 
receiving, rejoicing in its one Source. 
Naked as Job, innocent as children, 
a trust no mortal sunders in the course 
of jealousy or trial -- one true gift: 
      for a soul once bound to God, no divorce.

(Marthe G. Walsh)
Posted with the gracious permission of Marthe.

Image from Wikipedia.

4 comments:

  1. beautifully said... and of course, who can match the vision of Blake!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful words, indeed. And I loves me my Blake.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Subject matter notwithstanding, I find Blake's art very powerful indeed; his illustrations for Dante's Inferno were genius.

    Ego boost for Grandmere alert!
    I just did a google image search for Job's Torment Blake,and the very first image linked to here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my! How nice for Marthe...and me.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.