Saturday, October 13, 2012

ANDREW FINALLY PERFORMS FOR US

Andrew tuning up
As I've said earlier, our visitors from Connecticut were three, Ginnie, Hugh, and their son Andrew.  Grandpère and I were in Hugh and Ginnie's wedding 50 years ago.  We all left Mobile, Alabama, and, after a few years, we lost track of each other for a long time.  Several years ago, I searched for them on the internet, and, after reaching several dead ends, I found them.  Since then, we've stayed in touch and visited back and forth between Louisiana and Connecticut several times.

Each time we've gone north to Connecticut, or our friends have come south to Louisiana, we've wanted to hear Andrew sing and play one of his instruments, but time passed, busyness intervened, and we never did.  Andrew is a folk musician, specializing in Irish folk music.  He had with him his Irish bouzouki, which you see in the photos.

Andrew playing and singing
Finally, in the last minutes of their visit, it happened.  Andrew entertained us with a private performance.  He played three tunes for us before his dad said they had to get on the road.
 An instrumental version of "Madame Maxwell" by Turlough O'Connor

"The Lakes of Pontchartrain", a traditional song which was a surprise and delight to us.  I have Paul Brady's version in my music collection.


And last, but not least, "Beeswing" by Richard Thompson
What a treat!  Andrew plays and sings quite well, and I'm so pleased we had the privilege of hearing him.  He performs at pubs and halls in his area in the Northeast.  He is a member of the  Shamrock Traditional Irish Music Society and, on occasion, writes about Irish folk music concerts for the Newtown Bee.  As you see, Andrew is wearing his Catskills Irish Arts Week t-shirt.  You can catch glimpses of Andrew playing with a group of musicians in the Catskills in this video at YouTube at the 3:15, 5:59, and 9:38 minute marks.  I wish we'd been able to record Andrew's performance, but since we didn't, I'll settle for words.

UPDATE: I meant to say that Andrew's Irish bouzouki has a lovely, sweet tone.

17 comments:

  1. Wow, that is so great. I am off to check out the video, shot in the Catskills that are so near to my home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fran, it was lovely. I'm sorry you can't hear Andrew play; he's with a rather large group of musicians, but you can see he was there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was going to essay some remark along the lines of you know what they say about men with big bouzoukis but on reflection decided it was probably a little inappropriate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whew! Cathy, I'm so relieved that you used restraint and didn't make your remark about men with big bouzoukis. Why you'd have us all blushing.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. I now realize that my comment to Tim can be taken in more than one way, but I did not mean it THAT way (says I as I dig myself in deeper).

      Delete
    2. Mimi, I do like the barometer on your wall, on another subject altogether. At least, it looks like a barometer from here. I really want to get one. Very stylish.

      Tim is a great admirer of bouzoukis and other such instruments.

      Delete
    3. Cathy, the object on the wall is a clock, not a barometer. Do you see the dinner choices sign that I bought in Scotland under the clock?

      Delete
    4. so it is, I'm not looking closely enough. Ha! I can see the dinner choices sign, what fun :) Where did you buy that? ...

      Delete
  5. oh yes so you did! I remember that shop, it had all sorts of nice gifty type things. Can't remember the name of it. I bought something there too. I'll try to track the name of it down tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, personally I prefer playing a ten-string cittern, but I love listening to good bouzouki music, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Moving on, (thanks, Tim) some say that there's not much difference between the two instruments. Andrew's was an eight-string bouzouki.

      Delete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.