Tuesday, June 17, 2014

HOUSE OF CARDS (SPOILER ALERT!)


Whoa! I've watched all the episodes of Season 1 of the American version of House of Cards, the fictional series based on operations of the US government in Washington DC produced by Netflix. Kevin Spacey, as Francis Underwood (D-SC), majority whip in the US House of Representatives, is da bomb. Makes ya feel raght proud of yoah democracy, don't it? I'm late to the party, but I'm, hooked, though after watching some of the episodes, I felt I needed a shower. Does our government really function so slimily and crookedly up there in DC? I hope the series presents an exaggerated view of evil in the operations in our nation's capital, but I'm not certain.

The series is well-written with many quotable lines, most not suitable for polite conversation.  I'm way behind the curve in watching, but it's great to discover a show that's so good and to know I have more episodes to watch.  I can't recommend the series highly enough, if you've the stomach for it. I had no idea what I was missing, as the American version of the series is brilliant.  

Kevin Spacey is amazing as Frank Underwood, and he's well-matched with Robin Wright, who holds her own in her role as his wife, Claire. One critic compared her to Lady Macbeth.  At first, I thought I'd find Spacey's asides to the audience annoying, but I love them.  Shakespeare!  Frank and Claire are the ultimate power couple, and I wondered early on if they would stop at murder if they could get away with it.  Soon enough I had my answer.  Francis is the do-it-yourself Godfather.  No mess or blood.  A clean kill.  I confess, I'm somewhat embarrassed to be mesmerized by a show that portrays the ruthlessness and cynicism of insiders in our government.

The first season ends with Underwood in deep water facing the difficult task of making his way to the surface and rising above.  If you've watched, you know, and, if you haven't watched and intend to, I hope you're not reading this.  You can't say I didn't warn you.  And please, no spoilers for Season 2.

14 comments:

  1. Arrgghh! Tobias, I accidentally deleted your comment. I've copied and pasted it below from my email.

    Tobias Haller has left a new comment on your post "HOUSE OF CARDS (SPOILER ALERT!)":

    Mimi, you might want to take a break and watch the first third of the British version as a palate cleanser; not that Spacey's version leaves a bad taste... far from it, I thought it (and season two which we watched over two weeks!) is excellent. But this way you will be able to track some of the changes and similarities more easily. The three "sections" of the British series no doubt are being echoed by the three whole seasons of the American. Spacey and Richardson are both delights in their own way; and both are Shakespearians of some experience! (Spacey took Richard III on tour...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tobias, I don't know if I can wait. I've lined up Season 2 in my Netflix queue, and I want to know what happens next.

      Delete
    2. Well, then you'll be able to watch both the English House of Cards and To Play the King. Hold off on the Final Cut, though... ;-) And do watch season two prior to the English version. Too good to wait, and the other will keep!

      Delete
    3. It's all run together in my mind a bit, but I think the first portion of the English version might be a spoiler for the beginning of the second season of the American... so that's why I counsel the wait. I'd forgotten that (and may be misremembering it) but I'm sure that by the end of the second season the American version lines up well with the end of the second portion of the English.
      No spoilers... ;-)

      Delete
    4. The series is all around splendid. I confess I was surprised when my question about murder, which was partly in jest, was answered in the affirmative.

      Delete
  2. In terms of sheer excellence (of writing, directing, and acting) I'm inclined to believe that this House of Cards may well be the best television that's ever been produced. I've seen all the episodes that have been released so far. (Yes, I've seen the British version as well. Different but also very good.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ellie, I agree. I suspend disbelief completely when I watch, which I why I sometimes feel I need a shower afterward. I forgot to add in my post that Claire has decided she wants to have a baby. Should these two be allowed to breed? ;-)

      Delete
  3. Now, when are you going to get into "Orange is the New Black"? [I've just seen up to Ep4 of Season2. So, so good!]

    ReplyDelete
  4. Then there's Borgen, the Danish version of what goes on in government. For a couple of reasons, not the least of which is the brilliant work of Sidse Knudsen, the lead actress, this is my favorite. It's finally available on Netflix, but only the first season. Think about putting it at the bottom of your queue and watching for the second and third seasons to show up before starting it. It's not nearly as nasty as Spacey's House of Cards, but it shows the hard deals that have to be made (and the personal and political betrayals that accompany them) in order to get anything done in a multi-party democracy. I tried watching the British version of Cards a few years ago before the American version aired, and I just couldn't get into it. After watching the US show, I've put the UK series back on my queue to give it another try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Prairie Soul, I'll put the Danish version in my queue. At the rate recommendations are coming in, I'll be watching DVDs for the next couple of years. ;-)

      Delete
  5. The British version is much more self-consciously Shakespearean and satirical; as well as being much more condensed. Secondary characters are much less fully developed in terms of both plot and personality -- F.U.'s wife, for instance, has a major plotline in the US version, but is much more ancillary in the British.

    That being said, each has its virtues, but they are as different as a petit four and a carrot cake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Except for Kevin Spacey's asides to the audience, the American version seems all too realistic to me, which is one reason it's so draining to watch, good as it is.

      Delete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.