Tuesday, March 31, 2015

THE AFTERMATH OF ILLNESS

Tom's diagnosis of colon cancer rocked us both.  The weeks while we waited for the processes leading up to surgery to be completed were difficult, but we tried to keep busy and distracted, and we mostly succeeded.   The news after the surgery was surely as good as could be expected: the tumor was small, and the nearby lymph nodes were cancer free, and there was joy in Butlerland when Tom came home. 

Then, within a few days, came Tom's loss of appetite and vomiting.  I knew something was very wrong when I saw the greenish-black bile, but x-rays in the doctor's office were inconclusive as to whether there was an obstruction.  The vomiting continued, and Tom was readmitted to the hospital, and it was determined that there was an obstruction, a complication that never happens, but leave it to Tom... 

Tom is recovering nicely now, probably doing a bit too much too soon, but, so far, he appears to have done no harm to himself.  I told him if he has to go back in the hospital, I will not visit, but that's not true.

All of the above took a toll on both of us, and, though Tom seems the same, I'm sure the experience changed him, but in a way I can't yet see.  What I do know is that I have not yet regained my emotional equilibrium, such as it was, since the surgery.  I've thought about why I'm not yet my old self, and, indeed, somewhat accepted the fact that I may never be my old self, because life is change.

My one conclusion thus far is that when I was diagnosed with breast cancer 29 years ago, I looked my own death in the face, and I was changed.  The word "cancer" has a way of concentrating the mind wonderfully on the reality that humans, including me, are mortal.  I've been blessed with 29 years of life after the dread diagnosis, and I'm most grateful for the years, every one of which seems a gift.

But (and it's a huge "but") I had not faced Tom's mortality in any real way until now.  The good news is that I've come to realize in a way that I didn't before how much he means to me, but the not-so-good news is that the reality is scary, and my emotions, which are almost always near the surface, are out of kilter and somewhat flattened and kept at bay.  What to do? 

When two people live together for 53-plus years, the rather minor annoying habits of the other can come to loom rather large in daily life, so I've determined not to call Tom's attention to every little annoyance and to make a general attempt to be kinder and less of a scold.  In other words, don't sweat the small stuff.  And be kind.

In time, I hope to recover emotional equilibrium, and I believe I will, but, in the meantime, I'm thankful for each day Tom and I have together, and I will try to be kind, and not just to Tom.  I will often fail, but I hope I don't give up trying.

When certain Christians ask, "Are you saved?" I answer, "Yes, every day."  And that's true, and some few days I need to be saved from just lying in bed all day.  A strength that seemed to come from beyond me carried me through the stressful period, and I trust that same source, God in Jesus, will carry me the rest of the way.  You see, I believe salvation is about here and now, for today, and not so much for the sweet bye-and-bye, because I have no idea what happens in the sweet bye-and-bye.  But I have today, for which I'm grateful, and I believe God is with me, with us, to give us healing, strength, and courage.

21 comments:

  1. Amen and many prayers for you both. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to yet another new beginning. Life is full of them. TBTG!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, indeed, Piskie. The daily dyings and risings are quite real.

      Delete
  3. you touch on a subject that is starting to touch us all. With health problems of one sort or another cropping up, I'm starting to come to terms of the "what if's" that the future may hold. That makes me concentrate more deliberately on today and its joys while making sure that emotionally I'm preparing for change. For as you say, it is coming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots of "what ifs" and few answers, and so we go on, one day at a time. Thanks for visiting, Peyton.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. I still miss Gayle, and I know you do even more.

      Delete
  5. Ah,dear June, while you're letting the small stuff slide and being kinder, etc., please do be kind to yourself, too ... a little slack, perhaps, for you ... being the one alert to an ill loved one can be every bit as stressful as being ill ... and by the way, I suspect Tom loves the fiesty you, just as you are and would miss any other version of you ... sometimes trying too much to "improve" oneself can make an authentic being a casualty of good intention ... I only pray that you both come through whole and happy together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marthe, thank you. Please do not worry about me being too nice. The pull in the other direction is quite strong.

      Delete
  6. We are younger than you and Tom but as we flounder about in our 70's, I am having a sense of mortality which quite surprises me. Not bad, just surprising.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, not bad, but it's there. The surprise for me would be if the sense of mortality was not present, though there are those who think it's morbid to mention it.

      Delete
  7. Thank you so much for this posting... I hold the two of you in my prayers as you navigate this new passage. You speak much wisdom here; may Holy Wisdom guide you both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lee. As I said on Facebook, this was something I wanted to write, though I had to wait a decent interval till Tom was well into his recovery, because I did not want Tom's cancer and Tom's surgery to be all about me. Also, the passage of time adds perspective.

      Delete
  8. Was and am concerned for you both. Love.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My thoughts are with you and enjoy the spring.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you all for the love and kind words.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mimi! :-0

    Had you mentioned Tom's diagnosis before? [If so, somehow I missed it.]

    You are both in my prayers. May both of you find in the Resurrection (this Sunday, or any day), healing...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good news - all good wishes for you both.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.