Monday, March 26, 2007

The Feast Of The Annunciation



The Annunciation by Simone Martini


Although many churches celebrated the feast yesterday, today is the feast day of the Annunciation, according to the Lectionary.

Either in a book or in a museum, I once saw a painting of the Annumciation in which Mary looked to be recoiling from the angel. She was kneeling with her hands in the air and leaning backwards, as though saying, "Oh, no!" This would seem to me to be the natural initial reaction of a young virgin girl to Gabriel's news. I have never been able to find a reproduction of that painting. I believe it was Flemish or Italian. Mary is on the right of the painting and the angel is hovering in the air to the left. Mary has on a blue dress.

The nearest I could come is the image above by Simone Martini.

From the Carmina Gadelica version of the "Hail Mary!":

HAIL TO THEE, MARY
Hail to thee, Mary, Mother !
Thou art full of loving grace,
The Lord God is always with thee,
Blessed art thou Mary among women,
Blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus,
Blessed art thou, Queen of grace;
Thou holy Mary, thou Mother of Jesus,
Plead for me a miserable sinner,
Now and at the hour of death,
Now and at the hour of death !


Thanks be to God that the young girl named Mary gave her, "Yes!", and thanks be to God for the glorious Magnificat:

My soul magnifies the Lord,
and my spirit rejoices in God my Saviour,
for he has looked with favour on the lowliness of his servant.
Surely, from now on all generations will call me blessed;
for the Mighty One has done great things for me,
and holy is his name.
His mercy is for those who fear him
from generation to generation.
He has shown strength with his arm;
he has scattered the proud in the thoughts of their hearts.
He has brought down the powerful from their thrones,
and lifted up the lowly;
he has filled the hungry with good things,
and sent the rich away empty.
He has helped his servant Israel,
in remembrance of his mercy,
according to the promise he made to our ancestors,
to Abraham and to his descendants for ever.

13 comments:

  1. Can someone tell me how I can get the picture of The Annunciation to move with this post?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You need to save the picture to your picture folder and upload it in blogger (click on the picture icon in your post window, and choose the browse option, look in my photos and choose the picture and upload it).

    Then repost your post. Voila! A picture will appear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I finally succeeded in putting up a picture with a post. It's so easy once you know how, but I am feeling a little proud of my accomplishment.

    Eileen, thanks for your help.

    ReplyDelete
  4. BTW...I love both of these prayers.

    Since I've become a mom, I've come to hold alot more appreciation for Mary. But, I am an unabashed Marian. My mom likens praying through Mary to going to your mom for a hug - moms always have a hug, no matter how mad they get, or how sad you might make them - they always love you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I believe Our Lord wants us to honor his mother, and I always will. I pray to her to intercede with her son.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Grandmere Mimi has pictures up!

    Excellent.

    I had wondered if it was a stylistic decision on your part.

    I honestly thought about it and guessed that the librarian and book lover in you had a preference for a clean presentation of the written word without illustrations, or something like that!

    Next up: YouTube videos for music selections and performances.

    ReplyDelete
  7. By the way, the responses I received seemed pretty open to a meeting up in the northeast in September. I will get to work on possibilities for a location.

    Perhaps a parish would let us use their parish hall? hint hint Elizabeth or Fr Jake...

    This will take a little time to put together but it might just be worthwhile

    ReplyDelete
  8. I recently got an icon of Our Lady of Walsingham and started doing the Angelus at noon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dennis, it's good of you to do the work on this. I hope it comes to be.

    Mark, I do the short form of Morning Prayer and Evening Prayer from the prayer book, and I've thought about adding the Angelus, but I haven't got there yet.

    I love Millet's painting of the workers in the field stopping to say the Angelus, with the church in the distance presumably sounding the bells.

    ReplyDelete
  10. As a devout Marian Anglo-Catholic myself, I must say I *loved* this post and I`m recommending it to everybody!

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.