Thursday, March 29, 2007

Madcap Lifestyle

KJ, in the comments to my Tripping Out post said:

Slow down, young lady! Talk about your madcap lifestyles!

KJ, my dear, I'm forced to request that you not pre-categorize my day, because your pre-categorizations COME TRUE!

Today I took my granddaughter to a counselling session around lunch time. The city workers are resurfacing a main street in my town, therefore, I am directed to detour through traffic, traffic, traffic in order to get across town to the school. My granddaughter misses the school lunch, so we pick up her lunch at a fast-food outlet, which she then eats in the car and in the counsellor's office. Today, instead of food from the uncrowded Golden Arches, she wanted to go to Wendy's, which is located near the university and the hospital, on the other side of town. Bad mistake. The car line was out in the street, so I decided to go inside to order and turned in. Whoops! I'm in the EXIT drive! "Too bad, too bad, people, get out of my way!"

I parked and we went in. Long lines inside too. We took our place in the maze and waited our turn. By the time we reached the counter to order, we were late to the counsellor's office. Whoops, again! I don't have her number. I called my son, in all the din, and asked him to call and say we'll be a little late. We finally got our food and headed to the office, where I let my granddaughter out to go in.

I found a place to park, but, alas, I had to parallel park, which skill I have never learned in all my 72 years. I didn't have to do it in my one and only driving test 50 years ago, and I have never learned. I have learned avoidance of parallel parking, but today it was not possible. There was a line of cars waiting behind me, so I pulled in front end first instead of doing the proper backing in maneuver. It was back and forth, back and forth, 8 or 10 times or more, trying to get close enough to the curb. Finally, I just quit, got out, and locked the car. It was sticking out into the street too much, so I said a prayer that no one would clip me while I was in the office. No one did. Thanks be to God.

All I have left to do today is pick up my grandchildren from school, stay with them until their father comes home from work, and head to church for Evensong, soup and sandwiches, and Alpha.

Madcap? Yes. Thanks, KJ.

8 comments:

  1. The trivial round, the common task
    will furnish all we ought to ask:
    room to dney ourselves; a road
    to bring us daily nearer God.

    Mimi, may you find solace in these words by John Keble, who we celebrate today.
    I hope Alpha doesn't make you feel so grumpy this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Allen, yes, I do find solace in Keble's words. I wanted to do a post on him, but I didn't have time to do it properly.

    Also, holding on to my sense of humor seems to help. Perhaps I will do that tonight with Alpha instead of getting grumpy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good Lord. As busy as you stay I swear I had an image of you being in your 50s. I hope that if I make to my 70s I'm as active as you, learning new technology, serving on a vestry, and making friends around the world online.
    And now you are going to go pull Katrina houses down? wow.
    I'm impressed.

    Good luck with the alpha stuff tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, Mimi, it's 5:23 here in California, so I'm guessing you are in the thick of Alpha, unless it started at 6:00 and you are now almost to the end. I just wanted you to know that I am thinking of you at this time!

    Have a good time this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope Alpha went okay for you tonight. What a day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So I thought we needed a little music by Billie Holiday and Louis Armstrong for your trip this weekend.

    Hope that the Alpha thing went ok, by the way.

    I started to post a video I found on how to parallel park - but thought it might be too much.

    have a safe trip.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the prayers and good wishes. I'll put up a post on last night's Alpha video before I leave.

    Dennis, the music was gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oops! I'm sorry Grandmère. It is completely my fault and I take full responsibility. It will never happen again, but aren't you glad you have all that energy for your madcap lifestyle?

    Prayers for the weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.