Thursday, March 8, 2007

My Windsor Bishop

Since the destruction in the Diocese of Louisiana from Hurricane Katrina and the levee failures which resulted in the flood in the greater New Orleans area, Charles Jenkins, the bishop of the Diocese of Louisiana, has had great burdens to bear. In addition to working with local Episcopal churches on recovery and rebuilding, the diocese has assisted the people of the area to obtain the necessities of life in the immediate aftermath, and offered help in rebuilding their lives in the longer term. He has worked with ministers of other denominations in New Orleans to preserve and restore the soul and spirit of the city and to find solutions to the horrific wave of crime since the disasters.

Bishop Jenkins belongs to the alliance of Windsor bishops, those who follow the recommendations of the Windsor Report.

From what I know, in my diocese this means that there is a moratorium on ordaining gays and lesbians in partnered relationships to any of the orders of the church unless they declare themselves celibate.

In my parish, gays and lesbians serve in leadership positions on the vestry, as Lay Eucharistic Ministers, lectors, and in Sunday school. One member of our community has completed the requirements for ordination to the permanent diaconate, but she will not be ordained, because she is a lesbian woman in a partnered relationship.

I know of no listening process at present. I have heard that just prior to Katrina and the levee failures, a committee was being set up, but since Katrina, nothing has moved forward.

When the Windsor bishops met at Camp Allen in Texas in September 19-22, 2006, the group sent this letter to the House of Bishops after the meeting. Bishop Jenkins did not attend the meeting.

After the meeting in January 3-5, 2007, which Bishop Jenkins did attend, no summary was issued, as far as I know. Bishop Katharine has said that she was not invited to the recent meeting at Camp Allen In Texas. According to the article in the Living Church which I linked to above, several bishops from outside the US were invited:

In addition to bishops of The Episcopal Church, special invitations to Camp Allen were extended to several international bishops including Archbishop Drexel Gomez, Primate of the West Indies and chair of the committee working on the development of an Anglican Covenant; Archbishop Donald Mtetemela, Primate of Tanzania; and Bishop Michael Scott-Joynt of the Diocese of Winchester in the Church of England. The Rt. Rev. Don A. Wimberly, Bishop of Texas, was the host and convener.

My bishop has not spoken out at length about the controversies swirling around the Episcopal Church and the Anglican Communion, therefore, I am not quite clear about where my diocese will be when the dust settles. I decided to write him a letter asking several questions:

1. The Windsor Report calls for a listening process. Is there presently a listening process in the diocese?

2. What was the subject or subjects of the recent meeting of the Windsor bishops at Camp Allen in Texas?

3. Why are no reports issued after the meetings?

4. Why was Presiding Bishop Katharine Jefferts-Schori not invited to the Camp Allen meeting?

5. Were foreign bishops invited? To what purpose?
(I now know the answer to the first of these questions)

6. Why were no clergy or lay people present?

7. Will you welcome Bishop Katharine to visit the Diocese of Louisiana?

8. Will you seek Alternative Pastoral Oversight for the Diocese of Louisiana?

9. Why do we need a covenant in the Anglican Communion? Our Lord Jesus Christ gave us a New Covenant. Why do we need another covenant?


My letter went out to the bishop earlier this week. We shall see.

17 comments:

  1. Lady, I thought you wanted to keep your questioning low key? Well, honey, this ain't the way to do it.

    That said. I'm SOOOO proud of you! God grant you continued strength and courage to keep asking the hard questions. We're here to support you, love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are my hero, Mimi!

    My bishop is one of the good guys, but I'm sure he hears more from the dissenters than from the people who think we should be inclusive.

    I have promised myself that I will write him a letter and make sure he gets it before he goes to Camp Allen. Thanks for giving me some things to think about putting in it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Share Cropper, it took a bit of courage to put this post up, but not to write the letter. Those are questions in my mind, and who better to ask than the bishop? I offered to let my rector read it before I sent it, but he said that was not necessary.

    One of these days, a conservative Louisiania Episcopalian is going to find my little spot in the blogosphere, and the shit gonna hit the fan.

    Meanwhile, I like it peaceful here, with mostly friends visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Paige, we cross-posted. Thank you. I out myself a little more day by day. Now, as of today, my bishop could out me, if he chose to.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mimi--I know the fear of being "outed." But I really don't think you have anything to worry about. After all---you wrote the bishop. It's not as if you are saying anything about him that you wouldn't say to his face.

    And I think we are entering a time when bad things will happen if good people are silent. Maybe it was ever thus, but it feels as if we are at a crossroads now.

    So bless you for speaking out. You have been both honest and respectful. We need more of that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are a forthright, upright, downright impressive woman. Thank you for your voice.

    Pax, C.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Y'all make me blush, and I'm not kidding.

    Cecilia, I think of how much more you have to lose if you are outed.

    Really. What will I lose? I have no job to lose, since I'm retired. Maybe a few more people in my neighborhood will think me odd. I already stand out for being a Democrat, a Bush critic, and for leaving the Roman Catholic Church for the Episcopal Church in this strongly conservative, Republican, and Roman Catholic territory.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great letter to your Bishop, Mimi.
    Excellent questions you asked.
    TEC needs folks to write their bishop en masse because asking the same questions you raised as well as protesting the Communique which would destroy our church as we know it for several reasons including the fact that TEC is not governed in the way the communique implies it wants us to function.
    Keep up the good work.
    BTW, I'm happy you like the Francisan prayer. The reason my church was without a rector for three years is because our previous one was there for 33 years and it seemed like nobody wanted to take it on. But our new rector is here and we are happy to have him.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope that you have much more success in getting some response from your bishop than I have from mine, Madame.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gordon, thank you. The questions I asked were those that were on my mind. I have no interest in being confrontational. I left the Roman Catholic Church twelve years ago in a wrenching move when I was 60 years old. I joined the Episcopal Church, and that's where I hope to remain.

    I can understand a little the reluctance of a priest to follow a rector of 33 years. I'm pleased that you now have one that you like.

    Mark, I know that it's possible that I may not recieve an answer or that the answer may be unsatisfactory. We are a small congregation, and, at the very least, the bishop will have to look me in the eye on his visits.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Brava! Standing ovation! A clear, fair, courageous letter. This is speaking the truth in love.

    I, too, know the grief of coming from the Roman Catholicism and then finding the Episcopal Church doing eerily similar injustices.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Way to Go MEEEMS!

    Can't wait to see how he answers - that will prove most interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nina and Eileen, You both know exactly how I feel. It's sad, isn't it? Not that it's only sad for us. It's sad for all of us in the Episcopal Church who favor inclusion.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really don't see a problem in being a "Windsor bishop".

    I understand that some people are in different stages of their journeys and cannot, in good conscience, agree with partnered gays and lesbians as priests.

    What astonishes me, to be true, is that one can be a Windsor bishop when it comes to glbt ordinations, but forgets about the commitment to a listening process, which is also "Windsor compliant".

    This is the worst problem there...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Luiz, I have a fear that, in the end, some of the Windsor bishops will walk away from the Episcopal hurch. My bishop says that he wants to be in the Episcopal Church and part of the Anglican Communion. What if TEC is expelled from the Communion? Maybe my bishop won't be able to be both. What will he do then? I don't know.

    And, yes. Some of them pick and choose about what Windsor recommendations to comply with.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.