Monday, March 12, 2007

The List Is Long

As some of you know, I spent 60 years of my life in the Roman Catholic Church. Since I left and became a member of the Episcopal Church, I have tried to keep my criticism of the RCC to a minimum. Many of my family members and friends are RC, and I generally don't make negative comments about the church, unless others bring up the subject first. Then, I might agree or disagree. I admire those who remain with the church and try to bring about change from within, but I reached the point where I could not do that.

Then, too, I hesitate because the Episcopal Church and the Anglican Communion are far from perfect, as we are seeing, and there would be an element of pot-kettle in the criticism.

As I debated with myself whether to post what I'm going to say here, I read MadPriest's post on the interference of the RC hierarchy in the political process in Scotland, and I remembered the interference in our own most recent presidential election by the pope and certain of the American bishops having to do with John Kerry's views on abortion, interference which may have thrown the election to Bush, since the vote count was quite close, and I decided go ahead.

When the present pope was, as yet, Cardinal Ratzinger, he was the Prefect of the Office of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith for the Roman Catholic Church, one of the congregations of the Roman Curia. His was the responsibility to guard the teachings of the church throughout the world from doctrinal error.

He visited the US periodically to exercise his authority as Prefect, and he was known as "The Enforcer". Certain of the bishops, priests and, especially, the administrators and faculty of the Catholic seminaries and universities dreaded the visits, because those who strayed from orthodoxy - according to the Vatican - were disiplined in various ways.

I attended a Jesuit university in the 1950s, and even with the censorship that was in place in those days, the good fathers did manage to convey the idea that thinking is a good thing. I never recovered from that. Of course, I had been doing a good bit of thinking on my own, but the Jesuits reinforced the idea that it was OK to think.

That being said, I receiived a grade of "C" in my course on Christian marriage, because I persisted in annoying my professor with comments about this passage from Matthew 5:32-35:

But I say to you that anyone who divorces his wife, except on the ground of unchastity, causes her to commit adultery; and whoever marries a divorced woman commits adultery.

My thought was that this passage indicated one reason for permitting divorce and remarriage. He said no, and tried to explain why it did not, but not entirely to my satisfaction. I continued the disussion after he had given me his definitive anwer, and it is my belief that my grade was the result of my persistance in questioning him about the passage. Of course, I could be wrong. It was not a difficult class, and that grade was the only "C" to besmirch my academic record at the university.

But, I digress. This article by John L. Allen Jr. from The National Catholic Reporter from 1999, before the cardinal became pope, is quite enlightening. It is long, therefore, I will give you a few quotes in the event you are disinclined to read the whole piece. Of course, I do recommend that you read the whole thing.

Some say his 18 years as prefect of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, the church’s guardian of orthodoxy, have been the intellectual salvation of Roman Catholicism in a time of confusion and compromise.

Others believe Ratzinger will be remembered as the architect of John Paul’s internal Kulturkampf, intimidating and punishing thinkers in order to restore a model of church -- clerical, dogmatic and rule-bound -- many hoped had been swept away by the Second Vatican Council, the 1962-65 assembly of bishops that sought to renew Catholicism and open it to the world. Ratzinger’s campaign bears comparison to the anti-modernist drive in the early part of the century or Pius XII’s crackdown in the 1950s, critics say, but is even more disheartening because it followed a moment of such optimism and new life.


His record includes:

* Theologians disciplined, such as Fr. Charles Curran, an American moral theologian who advocates a right to public dissent from official church teaching; Fr. Matthew Fox, an American known for his work on creation spirituality; Sr. Ivone Gebara, a Brazilian whose thinking blends liberation theology with environmental concerns; and Fr. Tissa Balasuriya, a Sri Lankan interested in how Christianity can be expressed through Eastern concepts;
* Movements blocked, such as liberation theology and, more recently, religious pluralism (the drive to affirm other religions on their own terms);
* Progressive bishops hobbled, including Archbishop Raymond Hunthausen of Seattle, reproached by Rome for his tolerance of ministry to homosexuals and his involvement in progressive political causes, and Bishop Dom Pedro Casaldáliga of Sao Félix, Brazil, criticized for his political engagement beyond the borders of his own diocese;
* Episcopal conferences brought to heel on issues such as inclusive language and their own teaching authority;
* The borders of infallibility expanded, to include such disparate points as the ban on women’s ordination and the invalidity of ordinations in the Anglican church.


From 1999, opinions on whether Cardinal Ratzinger could be elected pope:

There is still the possibility, of course, that Ratzinger will not end his career as the hierarchy’s No. 2 man. At some point there will be another conclave, and Ratzinger, if he’s still around, will be in the running for the top job. Could he become pope?

Fessio thinks it could happen. “If the present pope died suddenly, they might want an older person for interim continuity,” he said. “Ratzinger has many abilities the rest of the cardinals are aware of -- his command of languages, his knowledge of cultures, his knowledge of the faith.”

Reese, however, thinks it unlikely. For one thing, Ratzinger would be almost 75, and he doesn’t think the cardinals will elect someone so close to the official retirement age. Anyway, Ratzinger’s “become too controversial. They will look for someone who can heal divisions rather than exacerbate them,” Reese said. He added, “I could be wrong.”


Allen goes on to say:

Assuming Ratzinger’s tenure in the Vatican ends with his present job, what is one to make of it? Perhaps Waldstein is right that the battle lines are too hardened in the present for any definitive judgment. Maybe it will take the perspective that comes only with time to allow observers to get past the polemics and appreciate his real impact on the church.

Jacques Maritain once said, “The important thing is not to be a success. The important thing is to be in history bearing the witness.” In that light, perhaps Ratzinger will come to be judged positively. He has borne a consistent witness, stood fast for his own vision -- which he would argue is the vision of Christ. It is with such considerations in view that Fessio boldly predicts Ratzinger will be remembered as “one of the great saints of our time.”

Yet the stark divisions, the ruptures in the church Ratzinger has helped to create these past 18 years must also be part of his legacy. Many Catholics can’t help thinking it could all have been different. The same truths could have been presented, the same errors exposed, in more pastoral fashion. The wounds could have been less frequent, less deep, quicker to heal.


From the lengthy quotes, do you get the idea that I really want you to read the whole article?

A longer list of those he disciplined, in one form or another, is found, once again, in The National Catholic Reporter. The names include some of the finest thinkers in the church.

This is the man who is the present Pope Benedict. And, as far as I know, he still has not decided whether Roman Catholic married couples will be permitted to use condoms if one of the parties is infected with HIV.

22 comments:

  1. Let me get this right:

    millions of people let someone known as the "Holy Father" make decisions for them about their sex lives, including whether or not to use a condom (which metaphorically looks like it is related to circumcision, thus is an image of castration) - And if they don't obey his commands on how to use their genitalia, one may assume that the Virgin Mother would not be happy...

    hmmm...

    A writer comes to mind.. can't remember his name, though. An Austrian, I think. A psychiatrist around the turn of the last century. Name began with an "F," I think. Thick glasses and a beard... wrote a book about Dreams...

    Anyway, for some odd reason this whole Roman Catholic Church thing makes me think of this fellow. I have no idea why, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dennis, I can't imagine why that fellow comes to your mind. Did he ever say anything about obsessions?

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Let me get this right: millions of people let someone known as the "Holy Father" make decisions for them about their sex lives...."

    Not quite right. Millions of people somehow feel that sexual behavior is governed by certain ethical norms, and may feel a certain respect for the pastor charged, with all Catholic bishops, with preserving and passing those norms down to those who, in the present generation, may receive them.

    I am continuously astonished at the PR coups which have successfully tagged Catholic sexual morality as some arbitrary whim of the odd Ratzinger or Woltiya in the Vatican--as if they were not simply re-stating what has been the teaching of the Church since the beginning, and articulating what, until the twentieth century, was largely the common patrimony of both Protestants and Catholics.

    There is not that much to it--the confinement of sexual intercourse to marriage, the understanding of marriage as a sacramental relationship of lifelong and mutual fidelity, and the affirmation of the natural tie between sex and children. One may think that ethic nonsense, but it seems to me to be somewhat less likely to produce widespread STDs than our enlightened alternatives, if that is how one thinks these things are to be judged.

    So, ultimately, I don't know that any Catholics are really waiting breathlessly on the pope's opinion on whether husbands with AIDS should be having sex with wives using condoms. Most people, Catholic or non-Catholic, are capable of weighing the moral factors. I can't help but recall a neighbor in East Texas who screamed at me across the street one morning, "Guess what! I'm pregnant! The rubber broke!" Condoms do occassionally break. That simple fact is surely a consideration in whether a Christian husband should risk infecting his wife with an incurable, fatal disease. One doesn't need a pope, or even a Freud, to notice that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you're an Episcopalian now, Mimi. At least we're past the condoms issue, but certain celibacies still nag at us. Yes, we are split and divided, but we have always been so. And, some day, we will all be standing around in whatever the afterlife brings, saying, "Why do you think we wasted so much time on those topics." Of course, the Baptists, Southern Church of Christ, and others will have different enclaves because they think they're the only ones who made it to the rapture.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rick, it's not only Catholics who have ethical norms regarding sex. To suggest that is the height of arrogance.

    Let the pope teach faithfulness and committment and stay out of the details of what couples do in private, as long as it's loving and caring and no one is hurt. The pope and the men surrounding him seem obsessed with other people's sexual activity. Times change. At one time good Catholics could own slaves. Don't give me the over-the-centuries-traditions argument, please.

    The pope's dithering on the condoms is indefensible. In the poorest countries, where HIV is killing people by the millions, many of the men work away from home. Infedility is the norm, and the men don't want to use condoms, anyway. The pope would probably have to order the men to use them under threat of hell and damnation for his edict to have an effect.

    Yes, in this country, Roman Catholics tend to make up their own minds about the number of children. It puzzles me that just because you're a Catholic, you seem to need to defend all the pope's decisions, good or bad, as though the whole edifice will fall if ever one mistake is admitted.

    Sure, rubbers break; the pill doesn't work. I'm not talking about the US and Europe. Pope Benedict loses whatever credibility he had - which, for me, wasn't much, even when I was a more or less faithful Catholic - when he delays on a decision like the condoms as people are dying.

    He's wrong about the condoms. And he was wrong about silencing the great thinkers within his own church.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Share Cropper, yes, it's simple. Teach fidelity, committment, love, and mutual care for each other. That's what it should be about for church leaders, not about poking their noses into the nitty-gritty details of other folks sex lives.

    Church folks do tend to waste a good deal of time on foolishness.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mimi - your blog has advanced to the state of getting attention from the traditionalists. Soon you will be cited as an example of all that is wrong with the church over at StandLimp.

    I am SO jealous of you.

    When you get to that point, please remember the little people who knew you back then before your fame and glory.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dennis, don't be jealous. I don't think I have been "discovered" by the traditionalists yet. I hope StandLimp never discovers me. I'm still among the little people.

    Actually Rick and I are old friends and contenders from Rmj's blog Adventus. We agree on some issues and disagree on others. We like a lot of the same books, so I cut him slack for that. We bypass hard feelings in our disagreements. At least, I do, and I think he does, too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Indeed. What is painful to me is not that there are differences, but that there seems to be such increasing bitterness.

    "English" and "Romans" still share much in common. I was looking this morning at the recent joint statement of Archbishop Williams and Pope Benedict:

    "There are many areas of witness and service in which we can stand together, and which indeed call for closer co-operation between us: the pursuit of peace in the Holy Land and in other parts of the world marred by conflict and the threat of terrorism; promoting respect for life from conception until natural death; protecting the sanctity of marriage and the well-being of children in the context of healthy family life; outreach to the poor, oppressed and the most vulnerable, especially those who are persecuted for their faith; addressing the negative effects of materialism; and care for creation and for our environment."

    This is not a trivial set of common values, it seems to me. But they are certainly less likely to be achieved if the nastiness of our politics becomes the norm of our religious dialogue. The alternative seems to be that easy separatism, which I've always found, sometimes sympathetically, most eloquently articulated in Surah 109 of the Qur'an, Al-Kafirun:

    In the name of Allah, most benevolent, ever merciful.

    SAY, "O you unbelievers,
    I do not worship
    What you worship,
    Nor do you worship
    Who I worship,
    Nor will I worship
    What you worship,
    Nor will you worship
    Who I worship:
    To you your way,
    To me my way."

    ReplyDelete
  10. Rick, we do have much in common, and there are many areas in which we can and do work together.

    I think of the numbers of AIDS orphans in the third world countries. We are called as Christians to serve the people in those countries as we serve Our Lord. Condoms are not a blanket solution to the daunting problems in those countries, but, by God, the pope needs to move ahead and take this one, compassionate step.

    Rick, do you agree with his hesitation on this matter?

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's part of the reason I'm not Roman Catholic anymore.

    Of course, they still count me as one, because they don't seem to feel you can leave. Interesting, no?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Eileen, trust me. According to the Canon Law of the RCC, you are excommunicated on the grounds of heresy and apostasy. I looked it up.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Rick---your quote is perfect, because it sums up the underlying attitudes that cause the bitterness.

    The speaker implies that he worships a WHO, while the "unbeliever" worships a WHAT.

    Maybe that's not *your* attitude, but I find it common among conservatives--and it does make me feel bitter. I pray about it, but it's getting worse...

    I worship the same God the traditionalists do. Say the same Creed every Sunday. Believe in the Real Presence. Believe in a literal resurrection. Try to conform my life to the Gospels.

    Yet they call me apostate, heretic, and worse. All because I do not interpret a few small verses in the same way they do.

    One gets tired of it all...and exhaustion and despair makes schism look preferable to remaining locked in this unbearable dance...

    ReplyDelete
  14. "Condoms are not a blanket solution to the daunting problems in those countries, but, by God, the pope needs to move ahead and take this one, compassionate step.
    Rick, do you agree with his hesitation on this matter?"

    Honestly, I don't know what you mean by "his hesitation."

    I does seem, to me, rather counterintuitive that anyone who contravenes Catholic sexual norms by sleeping around and spreading a fatal disease would care much one way or the other about what the pope thinks about condoms. I mean, if he's not concerned about fornication and manslaughter, what are the odds he's going to have a delicate conscience about contraception?

    If a man is going to sleep around with AIDS he will in fact kill fewer people if he uses condoms. If an armed robber is going rob convenience stores he's going to kill fewer people if he uses a fake gun. If a man's going to beat his wife he's going to cause less damage if he uses balsa wood than an iron bar. But it seems to me that the Church should be teaching people how to live a life worthy of our faith, not advising us how to sin with less collateral damage.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Rick, when the sleep-around guy returns to his wife, perhaps, if they use a condom, the wife will not get HIV. If one life is saved, it's worth it.

    Honestly, I don't know what you mean by "his hesitation."

    The pope is said to be considering the matter. Why does it take him so damned long to make a decision?

    Why is the pope even considering this question? If he says yes, that it's OK for married couples to use condoms, if one party is HIV positive, will you say that decision is wrong because he is enabling sleep-around guys?

    What do you think would be the right decision for the pope to make on this issue? Come on, Rick, you can step out ahead of the pope and have an opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Doxy, I would agree, that Rick could have found a better quote from the Qur'an. That "who" and "what" business is not conducive to dialogue.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I find it interesting that in a thread about condom use to protect innocent women from their HIV infected husbands, one would cite the joint statement from Pope Benedict and the ABC "protecting the sanctity of marriage and the well-being of children in the context of healthy family life;"
    It bothers me that they apparently agree on what a "healthy family life" is. It seems to me that until recently, our ABC had a different outlook on what that could be. Now apparently he has changed his mind.
    I also have a lot of trouble with the "protection of the sanctity of marriage" and all that implies...only man with woman etc.. What affect SSBs would have on traditional marriage is very moot. IMO, we heterosexuals have already proved that we are what threatens 'traditional marriage.'
    But I am highly concerned about anyone who would refer to women as 'collateral damage.'

    ReplyDelete
  18. Susan, I agree that we heterosexuals are the greatest threat to the sanctity of marriage. Really. Look around.

    And I'm tired, tired of Anglican leaders who feel they must beg at the door of Rome. Rome will take in individuals, and even groups, who give up their identities as Anglicans, but the church of Rome will never, ever be in communion with what's left of the Anglican Communion.

    ReplyDelete
  19. "If he says yes, that it's OK for married couples to use condoms, if one party is HIV positive, will you say that decision is wrong because he is enabling sleep-around guys?"

    No, I'd say he was wrong because one spouse shouldn't have to risk getting a fatal disease because the other spouse wants sex.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Rick, you're not addressing the situation on the real world. I'm not talking about the US and Europe. Many of the women in poor countries do not have the power to say no to sex. Many of them live in patriarchial societies where women have no status and no voice.

    I give up. I don't know what I could say further that would move you to empathize with those women.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Healthy family life....well being of children.... sexual morality and fidelity....

    Yes, I work towards that too, with my boringly average suburban life, beloved partner and kids, paying taxes, mowing the lawn and going to the PTA. only some frigid old-man-in-a-dress who is terrified of women, also lectures that I am " disordered" and calls my relationship an "intrinsic moral evil".

    They wouldn't even call Saddam Hussein evil, but they will call ME evil. It's breathtaking, isn't it?

    The good Catholics in Southern California threw a little girl out of parochial school because she has gay parents. So much for the children, eh?

    I admit, with embarassment, I was baptised and confirmed a Catholic. I'm recovered now. If I believed in God anymore, I'd thank him for helping me escape from the destructive authoritarian patriarchy of that misogynistic and homophobic church.

    IT

    ReplyDelete
  22. IT, what can I say? So many of us who call ourselves Christians, do not live out the Gospel for all to see.

    And the obsession with other folks' sexual activities is a puzzle to me. Maybe I'm missing something, but I'm not interested in what other couples do in private.

    It's not that I have no moral standards about sex, because I do, and they are fairly strict, but they have to do with love, fidelity, committment, and consideration of the other.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.