Thursday, April 12, 2007

Auden Centenary In York

Henry Alford writes in "Shouts and Murmurs" for The New Yorker, this short humorous piece titled The Knowledge, inspired by an article in The Times noting that cabdrivers in York have been memorizing Auden's poems to entertain their passengers who are visiting the city for the centenary celebration. Here's an excerpt from Alfords piece:

’Ewas me Norf, me Souf, me East and West,

Me working week and me Sund’y rest,

Me noon, me midnight, me talk, me song;

I thought that love would last forever: I was wrong.


’E ’ad a gentleman friend, Mr. Auden did, dinnee? Bit of a trouser man, orroight? That seems to be the way nowadays, innit, wif actors and M.P.s and clergy and wot ’ave you. In my day, there weren’t a need to fling yer spanky knackers into other folks’ faces all jumble-wumble and ’ere’s-mine-guv’nor. Though the missus did drag me to see Mr. Rudolf Nureyev at the ballet once. That man packed a full bag of groceries, dinnee?


The whole thing is quite funny and short, so definitely click on the link to read the rest.

Note to MadPriest: this is much more your sort of thing, but I decided that I would have it.

The anniversary occurred on 21 February 2007, so it's probably too late to plan to attend.

6 comments:

  1. Grandmere, I cannot tell you how this piece delighted me. Thank you so much for sharing.

    Pax, C.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why are the York taxi drivers speaking with a 19th. Century London (East End) accent?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cecilia, I'm pleased that you enjoyed it.

    MadPriest, go ask Alford. I laughed out loud through the whole piece. What do I know about the fine points of English accents? Hey, it's an American magazine, and we are nothing but a bunch of ignorant ex-colonials anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember the Auden quote being used in "Four Weddings and a Funeral".

    Great excerpt! Thanks.

    Wish our cab drivers would recite poetry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry I missed the centenary. Had a great love of Auden's work, back in the day. Actually worked on some of his manuscripts at the Harry Ransom Center at UT in Austin when I was a student there. Envisioned making a catalog of their collection, but I let it drop....

    Great irony of the famous poem from the movie: Auden wrote it as a form, a type of blues. It's not at all an impassioned memorial to a lover; it was an experiment in form for him. He was really quite prolific, quite talented, and quite capable of writing all manner of poetry. Indeed, until I heard the sobbing delivery of that poem in the movie, I had no idea there was much sentiment attached to it at all.

    Still can't watch that scene without laughing, just because I knew the poem when....

    Education is not all it's cracked up to be.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Enter Rmj in all his erudition.

    Education is not all it's cracked up to be.

    Ruins some things for ya, don't it?

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.