Saturday, May 26, 2007

Feast Day of St. Augustine Of Canterbury



Icon by Monk Aidan of Shropshire.


From St. Hilarion Monastery:

St. Augustine of Canterbury, Apostle of England

The figure of St. Augustine, the great Wonderworker and Apostle of the English people, is somewhat controversial. He represented the Orthodox Patriarch of the West, the Pope of Rome, whereas the Celtic Christians were without a Patriarch and were, indeed, hostile to the concept of being placed under a Patriarch! St. Augustine moreover committed a great faux-pas when in meeting with a delegation of the anti-Patriarchal Bishops he remained seated when they approached him, rather than rising to greet them or even prostrating himself humbly before them. Due to his conduct, springing either from a protocol the Celts misinterpreted or from carelessness, he alienated them--and on this account the integration of the non-English Christians of Britain into the Patriarchate was delayed for many centuries. In the meantime, an uneasy situation prevailed. The decision of St. Theodore of Tarsus, the Greek-bred Archbishop of Canterbury who brought a comprehensive canonical structure to the English Church, and of several Church Synods, was that the Celtics could only be received after Chrismation and renunciation of error. It was felt that their Baptism rite was incomplete, their method of tonsure unsatisfactory, and their dating of Pascha, which had been superseded elsewhere in Orthodox Christendom by the pan-Orthodox method still used today in the Eastern Church, was faulty. Despite these difficulties, certain Hierarchs accepted the Holy Mysteries of the Celtics. St. Bede, in his History, proves himself to be a moderate in his ecclesiology, both accepting their essential character as Orthodox Christians and criticising their "uncanonical" mores.


St. Hilarion is an Orthodox monastery in Austin, Texas.


PRAYER

O Lord our God, who by your Son Jesus Christ called your apostles and sent them forth to preach the Gospel to the nations: We bless your holy name for your servant Augustine, first Archbishop of Canterbury, whose labors in propagating your Church among the English people we commemorate today; and we pray that all whom you call and send may do your will, and bide your time, and see your glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever.

3 comments:

  1. Cher grandmere,

    off-topic, but I didn't want to lose the thanks in it, and not on your wonderful coming out party idea.

    The saints can take it.
    Here goes.

    Thank you for the post, Ed, and to the friends and not yet friends who've posted.

    As with most things, my reaction to Memorial Day differs in that I am a PTSD disabled Vietnam combat veteran. I cherish the honor that you do us here, but more often than not am enraged and disgusted by the cheap grace of much about the public celebration. During an unnecessary war forced by a criminal administration which rubs salt in the meaninglessness of the worst year of my life, it is especially difficult to be at peace.

    I'll tell you here and at your place, Mimi, so you get it, but it does me more good than you or I can imagine to hear you tell about how you pray for our troops.

    We welcomed a guy from the parish back from a short tour in Kuwait: "In the rear with the gear" a couple of weeks ago. I was especially pleased to welcome him back and to do him honor during the service. As we did so, I thought of my own return, and grief overcame me, and I cried. Nobody noticed, but I told one friend over coffee. There's nothing that can be done now to heal that. Sorry 'bout that.

    I hope you don't mind if I copy and paste, Cher grandmere Mimi; I don't know how many times I want to go back over this now.

    Peace/ Hoa Binh

    ReplyDelete
  2. Johnieb, I grieve that you must endure this. I grieve that thousands more will return from Iraq and Afghanistan - those who return alive - terribly wounded in body and spirit.

    Copy and paste all you like, Johnieb.

    I have a post already written for memorial day that I hope you will not find cheap grace.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The wish pays the price, Cher Mimi; I'm looking forward to it. Tell the truth, and be glad.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.