Thursday, May 17, 2007

Letter To Congress From Episcopal Bishops

Presiding Bishop Katharine Jefferts-Schori and more than 100 bishops of the Episcopal church have sent a letter to the United States Congress on the subject of the war in Iraq, according to Episcopal Life Online, via J. B. Chilton at the Episcopal Café.

Expressing "deep concern" for the situation in Iraq, more than 100 bishops of the Episcopal Church have written to all United States Senators and Representatives outlining the need for "a careful and reasoned debate" to end the violence "and bring stability and a just peace to the region."

....

"For the sake of all those involved, and to honor those brave women and men who have been maimed and lost, we encourage full and open discussion that acknowledges our mistakes as well as our responsibilities," the letter continued. "It is our hope that this discussion will lead to policies that will end the violence in Iraq and bring stability and a just peace to the region."

....

They also acknowledged the need for the U.S. to work for religious freedom and protection of religious minorities in Iraq; serve the needs of Iraqi refugees wherever they may be; and seek peace in the region, including a two-state solution between Israelis and Palestinians.


The way things are going in Iraq now, I don't know if the situation will allow time for reasoned debate. We could be making a hasty and disorderly exit before very long.

However, I'm pleased that the bishops sent the letter. I note that my bishop, Charles Jenkins, did not sign the letter.

11 comments:

  1. Our bishop didn't sign either, but he has to have a lot on his plate right now, and is doing a decent job keeping what must be a difficult ship on an even keel. I'm glad that they sent the letter, though it will be represented elsewhere as liberal activism.

    Nice Perugino. An artist I enjoy. "Old Foodie" (keep going on, don't I?) is clearly trawling J.A.'s slight surviving correspondence - today its Miss Austen & cheesecake. Now there's a concept. Could to on about my varied dogs, but let's save that for a another day - a deceased, non-leporine companion figures on my sidebar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bishop Jenkins has a lot on his plate now, too, with the remains of the devastation from Katrina and the subsequent flood.

    "Old Foodie" must be a fan of Jane Austen. I don't think I'll be making her cheesecake recipe soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The opening line "take 12 quarts of Milk warm from the Cow" was a bit much, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The bishops of Mississippi and Western Louisiana didn't sign the letter either.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ormonde, the bishops of Mississippi and Western Louisiana are not my bishops, which is the reason I did not mention them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. All three of the bishops in my diocese signed. I'm so proud!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bishop Joe Doss of Mandeville, LA, signed, and I'm glad he did. I call him the Bishop of the Ozone Belt (a popular nickname for the north shore of Lake Pontchartrain), even though he has no canonical jurisdiction there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ormonde, I'm pleased he signed, too. He's a bright light in the Ozone Belt and in the diocese.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mark, thanks be to God for those that did sign.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.