Monday, June 4, 2007

Fighting Terror

From the Baton Rouge Advocate today:

Jared Crouch, 21, a cavalry scout with a Stryker brigade out of Fort Lewis, Wash., had only been stationed in Iraq for a little more than a month, his mother, Kathy Rushing [Jared's mother], said.

....

Kathy Rushing said her younger son, John Crouch, a reservist with a maintenance company stationed in Iraq, would try to join his brother’s body on the flight back to the U.S.


Jared, who is from Zachary, Louisiana, was one of 14 American troops killed this past weekend. I pray for Jared and extend my prayers and sympathy to his family and friends.

In addition to the cost in lives, approaching the 4000 mark, and wounded, numbering 34,000, some with terrible wounds, loss of limbs, blindness, head injuries, serious mental health problems, we are spending 2 billion dollars per week on the war. Numbers of dead and wounded from Iraq Casualty Count.

I picked up this bit of information at ICC, also: Died of Self-Inflicted wounds - 111.

That's to say nothing of the hundreds of thousands of Iraqi dead, and numbers of Iraqi wounded beyond counting. For numbers of Iraqi dead, take the number 655,000 from an article in the Washington Post, or these numbers: minimum - 64776, maximum - 70934, of civilian casualties from Iraqi Body Count. The Washington Post piece says:

It is more than 20 times the estimate of 30,000 civilian deaths that President Bush gave in a speech in December. It is more than 10 times the estimate of roughly 50,000 civilian deaths made by the British-based Iraq Body Count research group.

On the very same front page in the Advocate is an Associated Press wire story with the headline: "Informants gaining importance in foiling terrorists plots in U.S."

This story concerns the foiled plot to bomb JFK airport and "a jet fuel pipeline that runs through populous residential neighborhoods to the airport."

New York - A convicted drug dealer who agreed to pose as a wannabe terrorist among a group now accused of plotting to blow up John F. Kennedy International Airport secretly fed information to federal investigators in exchange for a lighter sentence.

....

Four Muslim men are accused of plotting to use explosives to destroy a jet fuel pipeline that runs through populous residential neighborhoods to the airport. It is believed they intended to kill thousands of people and trigger an economic catastrophe.


The link leads to the Cleveland Plain Dealer, because the Advocate does not have an online link to the AP story.

I assume the headline was written in Baton Rouge, and it led me to the conclusion that it was just plain wrong. Intelligence gathering has always been important in foiling terrorist plots, but whether the Bush maladministration is aware of that, I don't know, nor do I know if the FBI and the CIA receive the proper amount of funding to get good intelligence on impending plots.

However, I do believe that we could improve our intelligence capabilities on much less than 2 billion dollars a week. But, no. We're spending that amount of money fighting in Iraq, at great cost in lives, and loss of limbs and quality of life for those who survive. We make these sacrifices to fight in a country that never attacked us, never intended to attack us, and is now a breeding ground for terrorists and an inspiration to would-be terrorists around the world, who are angry about what we are doing in Iraq and, as a result, want to do us harm.

Sometimes I wonder why I bother with this kind of post, because it takes considerable time to do the links and the quotes, and I know I'm preaching to the choir, but seeing these two stories together, one below the other, I felt compelled to say something.

Perhaps, I'd have done better and saved time by simply quoting these words:

Turning and turning in the widening gyre
The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.
Surely some revelation is at hand;
Surely the Second Coming is at hand.
The Second Coming! Hardly are those words out
When a vast image out of "Spiritus Mundi"
Troubles my sight: somewhere in sands of the desert
A shape with lion body and the head of a man,
A gaze blank and pitiless as the sun,
Is moving its slow thighs, while all about it
Reel shadows of the indignant desert birds.
The darkness drops again; but now I know
That twenty centuries of stony sleep
Were vexed to nightmare by a rocking cradle,
And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,
Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?


William Butler Yeats, "The Second Coming"

13 comments:

  1. Dear Grandmere

    I have always loved the poem. It speaks so well to my fears of what is going on in the world - unacknowledged and, therefore, seemingly, unseen. It also speaks to the helplessness I feel as world events appear to escalate all the more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate this war and what it has done to the U.S.
    But I really hate the fact that some folks believe that the only way out of their poverty is to join the U.S. armed forces. I have two members of my parish who are in the U.S. military (we no longer have an army in Panamá). I just learned yesterday that another young man in the parish, a father with a set of eight-month-old triplets, is on his way to Iraq for a year. He and his wife and kids have been living in the U.S., and were going to move to the state of Washington, but now he's in the army and off to Iraq.
    I'm so sick of this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It breaks my heart. I am about to fly West in a couple of days and I know that, as always, I will see soldiers in the airports and that they will be young, young, young -- just children.

    Though of course there are all manner of older military people in Iraq -- reservists and Guard -- who are going back for second and third tours of duty. And coming back with PTSD and wounds inner and outer, if they come back.

    Not to mention all the Iraqi dead and traumatized whose names we will never know.

    Here in NC especially toward the Southern and rural parts of the state, we have this same phenomenon of the military as The Option. And my anger and grief have nothing to do with the sincerity of the people who join up. That's part of the pity of it.

    One of the things I hate is when I notice myself being numb -- flipping off the radio, listening only halfway, reading the day's casualties and glancing away, on to the next thing in my economically not too secure but generally safe life. I'm grateful for reminders like yours, Grandmère.

    Have you noticed that on U.S. television the ads for the military are all directed at PARENTS of young people these days? That's because so many parents are against this war -- the ads are all about persuading them! Let your kid persuade you that it's okay, they say. And your child will come back confident and strong -- as if parents couldn't give that to their children -- and (in some ads, not all) with a career or money for school. Makes me ill.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hate this war. I hate what it is doing to our young men and women and what it is doing to Iraq.

    ReplyDelete
  5. AMEN to your post and all comments. I HATE THIS WAR. I hate the mentality that started it in the first place, I hate feeling voiceless, and I hate the fact that the majority of us seem so helpless to effect change. And, why can one person still "veto" a vote of congress?

    ReplyDelete
  6. See. I am preaching to the choir.

    We went to the see a movie tonight, and during the endless commercials for coming movies and just plain commercials, there was one for the Marine Corps that showed scenes that might have been in Iraq - not things blowing up, but scenes of destruction. I was surprised at that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. this war is awful. nothing else more to say. I wish that Americans would stand up against it a little more. more marches or demonstrations or something, anything.

    these bastards shouldn't be allowed to think that they will get away with doing this to our country and to these soldiers and to their families and to the giant number of Iraqis.

    there has to be some justice at last.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Some points that may be helpful.

    Firstly, accept that we must defend ourselves from taking in too much horror. I do not think any of this choir's members are in danger of the uncaring abyss. We must have a certain amount of distance to act for justice.

    Secondly, I want to commend you all (yeah, all y'all), and especially ma cher grandmere Mimi, for getting aholt of this bone and not giving it up. Mark Harris noted that he stands with some vets in a regular antiwar vigil; it's that kind of solidarity that make me feel supported and welcomed home.

    Finally, not to be bragging, but to lift up a ministry, I've talked to maybe a dozen young people who were considering joining the military around the country in the last couple of years--through vets contacts--sometimes at their parents' request. I'm pleased to say that, by simply telling about my experience, I haven't lost one yet.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Johnieb, that is a worth-while ministry. I'd try to persuade a young person away from the US military today, but I could not speak from experience.

    As Padre Mickey said, today, many young people from poor or even middle-class families, who don't see many opportunities for good jobs, or those who can't afford to pay for a college education, see the military as a way out.

    I don't think I'll ever fall into the abyss of the uncaring, but I do have to guard against sinking into the abyss of despair.

    Because of my faith, I can hope in the face of hopelessness. Thanks be to God.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is hard and painful to do this work, but a service to us, Mimi. We must keep all this before our eyes. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I read in the paper today, that the US is bombing in Iraq at twice the rate as in 2006, and - surprise! surprise! - more Iraqi civilians are being killed.

    Juan Cole at Informed Comment says:

    I think it is contrary to the Hague Regulations and the Geneva Conventions for an occupying power to bomb the cities it occupies.

    ReplyDelete
  12. If the Bush administration were any good at intelligence gathering, they would have some by now.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Paul, I could never have said it so well.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.