Friday, June 15, 2007

TGIF

Voila! I have just returned from my monthly visit to my hairdresser for a wash, cut, and style for a grand total of $18, $15 for the service and a $3 tip. If I may say so myself, I look quite nice. I wish I could fix my hair as my hairdresser does, but I have no gift for styling hair. My poor daughter had to learn to do her own hair at a young age, because her mother was so lacking.

Well, TGIF, and we don't have to be deeply serious and hard at work all the time. However, I must say that since I've retired, the days seem to run together, except for Sunday, the go-to-church day. We retirees can be thankful for every day.

Of course, I know that some of you out there love your jobs, and never think TGIF. And there are those among you who work weekends, like the many priests and pastors in my vast readership, and others who toil away for the benefit of the rest of us, like our staunch Presbyterian friend Ed, the simple village organist.

While I was at the beauty shop today, a young woman with a little boy toddler was there. My hairdresser had a lavender plastic spritzer bottle on her counter. The young boy wanted that bottle badly. He kept going back to try to get it, as his mother repeatedly told him that he could not have it and led him away.

Now, I'm going to get serious again. Is the young boy toddler's intense desire for the lavender spritzer bottle proof-positive that he will grow up to be gay?

20 comments:

  1. $18, including tip? Wow. $35 including tip here in CT and that's on the inexpensive side, at a unisex barber shop.

    I don't know about gay but he might grow up to be a spritzer. Given he has the equipment and all. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cynthia, LOL re the boy-man spritzer. I find myself searching for blog material in the most unlikely places, like everywhere. It's a sickness.

    I can't believe that my hairdresser doesn't raise her prices. It's been $15 for a long time, and she's good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. back in Chicago I once lived around the corner from a barber shop for the hispanic community. The two ladies who ran the place spoke probably 10 words of English between the two of them. But they only charged $6 for a haircut for men. And since I thought that was far too low I always tipped heavily.

    I have no idea what they said to me on any of my visits there but they only used shears, no clippers, and those were some of the best haircuts I ever got.

    I miss my old Mexican barbershop!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dennis, even before I read your comment (I promise), I was thinking that I should give her $20 instead of $18, and I will from now on.

    Y'all are making me feel bad. Maybe I should give her $30.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No, Mimi, you should give her $400.00. Although she might make you look like John Edwards.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ed, God forbid! If I had to pay $400 for a haircut, my hair would be down to my knees, or I'd whack it off myself.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tell you what, Mimi - next time you see his mom, explain this to her and ask if she'll call you every six months or so to keep you up to date. RR

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lapin, I will. It will be like an experiment to see if gayness exhibits itself at age two.

    Are you Roger Rabbit, too. You are totally disorienting me with all your names.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was yesterday. Best wear protective goggles before asking the mother.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Geez, if she takes the kid to the hairdresser's, what does she expect?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Y'all are a riot. What did I expect putting up a post like this? You know, this blogging thing can make you crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. But did the kid have a matching Tinky Winky type handbag?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Actually, the pricing is not unique to your part of the world. I got my hair cut yesterday at a Latino unisex place. For short hair they charge $10; for full cut, perm and set $35. But a note says that is only for short hair. Who knows what the cut-off point is for "short," so to speak?

    I gave her $15. All these things are a mystery.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Jan, I'm surprised to hear of that pricing in San Francisco, of all places, where I believed everything was expensive.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Grandmère, don't you mean "poof-positive"?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Agha, I stand corrected - poof-positive it is.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wash and cut, West Hartford Center: $ 30, including tip.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Silly Ed. My Mom used to take me to the beauty parlor all the time when I was a preschooler (only way to watch me while she got her hair done), and I turned out terribly straight ;->

    ReplyDelete
  19. David, I'll bet there was no lavender spritzer bottle on the counter to tempt you to gayness.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.