Saturday, August 25, 2007

From St. Iranaeus - Not On His Feast Day

Jan at Yearning For God has a lovely quote from St. Iranaeus which I will shamelessly steal:

It is not you who shapes God, it is God who shapes you.
If then you are the work of God, await the hand of the artist
Who does all things in due season.
Offer God your heart, soft and tractable,
And keep the form in which the artist has fashioned you.
Let your clay be moist,
Lest you grow hard and lose the imprint of God's fingers.


Irenaeus, 2nd Century Bishop

Jan, I hope that you don't mind.

3 comments:

  1. I'm going to steal it and use it in my sermon on Sabbath.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grandmere Mimi, I love that you "stole" it--but since it is not "MINE", we share in these loving words.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was wonderful both times...for my sermon file.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.