Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Responsible? Who me?

From the New York Times:

WASHINGTON, Aug. 1 — Former Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld said today he felt terrible about the military’s flawed handling of the death of Cpl. Pat Tillman, the former football star who was killed in Afghanistan. But he and other former Pentagon leaders insisted that there had been no attempt to cover up the way it happened.

....

“I do not recall when I first learned that Corporal Tillman’s death was fratricide,” Mr. Rumsfeld said, adding that it was probably after May 20, 2004, when he was told by a colonel about the possibility of a “friendly fire” incident.


Ah, the convenient memory lapse which comes at the time that one testifies under oath.

“I know that I would not engage in a cover-up,” Mr. Rumsfeld told the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform today. “I know that no one in the White House suggested such a thing to me.”

Never in a million years would any of the upstanding public servants in the Bush maladministration suggest a cover-up. Never ever. We all know that.

Critics of the Bush administration have asserted that the circumstances of Corporal Tillman’s death may have been distorted, to exploit the soldier’s patriotic image and perhaps distract attention from an unfolding scandal over abuses of Iraqi prisoners by American soldiers.

That suggestion was raised again today by Representative Henry A. Waxman, the California Democrat who is chairman of the committee. Mr. Waxman said the reports of the death were deliberately manipulated to counter bad news about battlefield casualties as well as the abuse of prisoners at Abu Ghraib, near Baghdad.


Surely not, Rep. Waxman. Whatever would make you say that? How long would it have taken for the abuses at Abu Ghraib to come to light but for the pictures? What's going on right now in the prisons?

Tillman volunteered to serve and was killed by US troops. His family deserved more accurate and prompter information about the circumstances of his death from their government.

As an aside, I've often wondered that we accept the "friendly fire" euphemism. Is the term intended to provide consolation to the family of the deceased? Are their loved ones any less dead from "friendly fire"?

But retired Gen. Richard B. Myers, who was chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff at the time, also rejected those assertions. And in sparring with Representative Carolyn Maloney, Democrat of New York, he opened a window on the Pentagon bureaucracy.

Yes, General Myers agreed, the Tillman family should have been notified at once that there was the possibility of a “friendly fire” tragedy.

“According to the Army regulations as I understand them, that’s correct,” said General Myers, who served in the Air Force. “By the way,” he continued, “the Marine regulations don’t. They don’t notify until they’re sure, as I understand.”


You see, no one in the very highest offices is ever responsible in this maladministration.

But Mr. [Thomas M. Davis, III of Virginia,] Davis, whose northern Virginia district includes many military families, tried to walk a tightrope, noting that “nothing in our inquiry thus far demonstrates that either the defense secretary or the White House were aware this was a friendly fire incident before late May.”

He said that presumptions that high-ranking officials must have been involved should not “color or cloud what our investigation is actually finding.”


God forbid!

Absent from the hearing was former Lt. Gen. Philip R. Kensinger, Jr., who was censured on Tuesday for his role in the Tillman case and could be demoted to two-star rank.

....

Mr. Waxman said that General Kensinger’s lawyer told the committee he would not testify voluntarily, and that he would seek to avoid being served with a subpoena. He apparently succeeded.


Apparently, the buck stops with Gen. Kensinger. He does not seem particularly enthusiastic about falling on his sword for the maladministration.

Over all, Mr. Rumsfeld and the retired generals depicted themselves as busy men at the time of Corporal Tillman’s death who left the details of the investigation to subordinates.

When Mr. Waxman asked General Myers if he thought there might have been a cover-up “somewhere along the line,” the general said he had no way of knowing, although he emphasized that he himself had not engaged in one.

The Congressman then put the same question to Generals Abizaid and Brown — “yes or no on this question.”

Both general[s] said they thought there had been no cover-up. “I think people tried to do the right thing,” General Abizaid said, “and the right thing didn’t happen.”


"...and the right thing didn't happen." There's the oh-so-useful passive voice to defend the indefensible. It's not as though real people could have effected a different outcome. It just "didn't happen".

I'm tearing my hair out as I read and write this. I can hardly bear to finish. How can Rumsfeld, Myers, and Abizaid get away with these answers?

My admiration for Rep. Henry Waxman, who has been tireless in his attempts to shed light on the dark corners in the Bush maladministration, is boundless. He is one of my heroes.

There now, I'm done, and I'm about to blow.

God help us all!

14 comments:

  1. I'm beginning to wonder how much marijuana use takes place in the Bush Administration; there is simply way too much memory loss of both the short-term and long-term varieties.

    I'm not going to live in the U.S. while these people are in power.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only times I've suffered this kind of memory loss are attributable to combat, concussion from blunt force trauma, and/or anesthesia; marijuana wasn't anywhere near as potent as adrenalin.

    A sensible approach, Padre Mickey, one I keep trying to talk myself out of. I figure I've gotten this far living in les E'tats Unis with bad habits and/ or decisions and the grace of God; why change now?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not going to live in the U.S. while these people are in power.

    Padre Mickey, I don't blame you one bit. Do you have room for me in your rectory in Panama? Just until I find my own place, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They pulled two stunts with the dead Tillman - the "Hero Killed in Action Valiantly Fighting for Freedom" stunt, and the Shanghai-ing of his funeral as a high level religious, as well as a military event, even though Tillman and his family are/were what are still in the US normally termed "free-thinkers", agnostics and atheists still being regarded here as something akin to pedophiles.

    ReplyDelete
  5. last time I said I was going to move was if Reagan got elected. I went to Japan.
    Where can I go now?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Diane, there's a great big world out there. If I were younger I'd think about moving, but not at my age and not in my circumstances. I'd have to leave my husband and my family because they would not go with me.

    It's going to take decades to fix the damage the Bush maladministration has done to so many of our institutions - that is if we can elect a president and a congress with the will and the backbone to do it.

    Look around. Take your pick.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do I take it from the lack of comment that the consensus hereabouts is that sticking Tillman's family with a strongly religious memorial service for their son was just fine?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lapin, it's not just fine. If you give me a link for the source of your information on the funeral, I will post it in a comment. I Googled yesterday and could not find anything specific about the government's hijacking the funeral and making it religious.

    I know that they made it a media circus, and I know that Gen. Kensinger, who was disciplined for his handling of reports of the circumstances surrounding Tillman's death and the notification of his family of those circumstances, was present at his funeral, which I think was outrageous.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Let me see what I can find. I know of it through a recent CNN interview with a still pretty ticked-off Tillman brother, which is visual, not written.

    RRabbit

    ReplyDelete
  10. There's some stuff further down this page:

    http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0704/25/pzn.01.html

    and here, which hints (a hint that I have seen or heard elsewhere) that he was shot directly with an altercation relating to religion with another soldier -

    http://people.bakersfield.com/home/Blog/possummomma/12532

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lapin, neither of the links has to do with funeral arrangements, so that's probably why I could not find them. The transcript from CNN is outrageous enough that I will quote it:

    ZAHN: There is some new outrage out in the open tonight over the death of Army Ranger Pat Tillman. Congress this week is investigating the military's handling of Tillman's death. He was killed in Afghanistan three years ago, and, at first, hailed as a hero who died under enemy attack.

    Only later did the Army admit Tillman died from friendly-fire. And now we're hearing about shocking, insulting, and religiously insensitive language an Army investigator used to describe Tillman's family.

    Senior Pentagon correspondent Jampy -- Jamie, that is, McIntyre has the story.

    (BEGIN VIDEOTAPE)

    JAMIE MCINTYRE, CNN SENIOR PENTAGON CORRESPONDENT (voice-over): It came as a shock. Halfway through a day of testimony about the Army's mishandling of the death of Pat Tillman, Tillman's mother, Mary, shared her outrage at remarks from one Army investigator that Tillman's family found highly insulting.

    MARY TILLMAN, MOTHER OF PAT TILLMAN: He said that we were -- we would never be satisfied, because we're not Christians, and we're just a pain in the ass, basically. He also said that it must make us feel terrible that Pat is worm dirt.

    MCINTYRE: The offending comment was posted on ESPN.com last summer. It suggested the Tillman family's dissatisfaction with the Army was due in part to a lack of religious faith. And it quoted Lieutenant Colonel Ralph Kauzlarich, who conducted the second investigation into Tillman's death.

    (BEGIN AUDIO CLIP)

    LIEUTENANT COLONEL RALPH KAUZLARICH, U.S. ARMY: Well, if you're an atheist and you don't believe in anything, if you die, what -- what is there to go to? Nothing. You're worm dirt. So, for their son to die for nothing, it's pretty hard to get your head around that.

    (END AUDIO CLIP)

    REP. HENRY WAXMAN (D-CA), GOVERNMENT REFORM COMMITTEE CHAIRMAN: Did you examine these comments as part of your investigation?

    THOMAS GIMBLE, ACTING INSPECTOR GENERAL, DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE: Well, we did not investigate those comments. I saw the comments in the paper. And, frankly, I was shocked by them, too. But we didn't investigate.

    BRIGADIER GENERAL RODNEY JOHNSON, COMMANDING GENERAL, ARMY CRIMINAL INVESTIGATION COMMAND: Sir, I don't know of any regulation prohibiting that, but I find it totally unacceptable.

    WAXMAN: Is there anything such as a conduct unbecoming a member of the United States armed services?

    JOHNSON: There is such a charge as conduct unbecoming an officer, yes, sir.

    WAXMAN: Yes, well that sounds like it's a pretty unbecoming statement for an officer to have made.

    MCINTYRE: At Pat Tillman's memorial service in 2004, his younger brother acknowledged Tillman was not a religious man. But the Army would not say if he had ever declared himself an atheist.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those folks are something when they get going, aren't they? I think that that more than deals with the situation, many thanks. I'll be interested to see if anything every comes of the pre-shooting altercation, but I'm not by nature paranoid (better for me, on occasion, if I were) so I have no prejudices in the matter.

    Thanks again. RR - am skipping from pc to pc and its such a fag, as we brits say, to keep logging in - and all for a photo of a toothless walrus in my upper right-hand corner.

    Oh - there was another question and answer on that quiz that I only saw later.

    Q. Name a novel by Jane Austen

    A. "Charlotte Bronte".

    ReplyDelete
  13. The sadness in me is only deepened by my awareness that nothing this administration does or says shocks me any more. I have absolutely zero expectation of them behaving in a way I consider humane. They are self-serving, lying, unfeeling, assinine .... well, y'all know, the list could go on.

    The Americans living in France in "Sicko" seemed pretty happy. Maybe we could move there.

    ReplyDelete
  14. LJ, I'm putting my hopes in the French making an offer to buy back the Louisiana Territory. Please, please, please!

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.