Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Sixth Anniversary of 9/11


Image from Wiki.

I have not forgotten. I wanted to write a memorial for those who died on September 11, 2001, and extend a word of comfort to their families and friends, but I find that I have no words, only thoughts and emotions which I cannot express. I offer these from The Book of Common Prayer:

I am Resurrection and I am Life, says the Lord.
Whoever has faith in me shall have life,
even though he die.
And everyone who has life,
and has committed himself to me in faith,
shall not die for ever.

As for me, I know that my Redeemer lives
and that at the last he will stand upon the earth.
After my awaking, he will raise me up;
and in my body I shall see God.
I myself shall see, and my eyes behold him
who is my friend and not a stranger.

For none of us has life in himself,
and none becomes his own master when he dies.
For if we have life, we are alive in the Lord,
and if we die, we die in the Lord.
So, then, whether we live or die,
we are the Lord's possession.

Happy from now on
are those who die in the Lord!
So it is, says the Spirit,
for they rest from their labors.


BCP - p. 491



Interfaith service at St. Paul's Chapel on Broadway on September 11, 2006, from Wiki.

UPDATE: You may want to read Fr. Jake's wonderful sermon in remembrance of 9/11.

13 comments:

  1. This is beautiful.

    Blessings to you, blessings in abundance and the peace of Christ to you Grandmere.

    You lift me up every day.

    But especially today.

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this! I had no words, either ... but I remember!
    Serena

    ReplyDelete
  3. very powerful. I love St Paul's. Such a beautiful church and now so linked to the attack on the WTC.

    I was there for the Ash Wednesday service in early 2002 when there were WTC site workers coming in during their lunch breaks, covered in ash and dust, to receive the imposition of ashes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Dennis...

    Thanks you for this Grandmère Mimi.

    I was in the city today, riding the subways under lower Manhattan and Brooklyn. Everyone was sweaty, grumpy, loud, gorgeous...resilient.

    Hugs and kisses to New Orleans from NYC.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow, Dennis, as well...

    and Grandmere Mimi, you did well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was not going to use a picture of the burning or collapsing towers, because I wanted this to be a post about hope, and I found the lovely picture with the lights.

    I visited St. Paul's when the whole fence around it was still covered with homemade memorials, prayers, and good wishes. I cried and cried as we walked around the perimeter.

    It is a beautiful old church. We stayed for the noonday service.

    Wow, Dennis! Ash Wednesday. That must have been something.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Serena, what happened to Serena In Seattle?

    ReplyDelete
  8. there was a laminated prayer card that was handed out that day. It showed a picture of the papers that had blown all over the area and filled the churchyard on 9/11. And on the back was a prayer for Ash Wednesday. I saved it and use it in my BCP as a bookmark.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for recommending the visit to Fr Jake.

    I am about to head off to work. I will see those lights shining up in the sky from 30 miles away here.

    Peace to all.

    Grandmere, if you would, can you please email me at festinalente07@gmail.com? At your convenience.

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for your wonderful tribute.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A beautiful and fitting tribute...

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.