Friday, October 12, 2007

"Hymn Without End"

From Derek Olsen at the Episcopal Café:

One of the great liturgical truths is that when we pray, we never pray alone. Even when we are physically alone, our prayer is never solitary but is woven into the greater garland of unceasing prayer that surrounds the throne of God and of the Lamb, the chorus of—as the Book of Revelation shows us—the four living creatures, the twenty-four elders, the choirs of angels, the great throng that none could number band, ultimately, every creature in heaven, on earth, under the earth, and in the seas.

Speaking truthfully, our prayer, our praise, our worship, doesn’t truly begin or end; rather we simply rejoin ourselves to the hymn without end.


I've often thought of the "cloud of witnesses" who join with us when we pray, but mostly with regard to public worship, rather than private prayer. But Derek puts it so beautifully when he speaks of the never-ending cycle of prayer in which we may join at will, even when we pray privately. The saints in heaven and the faithful on earth pray with us, whether we are physically alone or with others.

That imagery from Revelation resonates powerfully, because, to me, it is a metaphor for true worship, the attitude of heart with which we approach the throne of grace.

Often when I take my walk in the evening, I pray this daily devotion:

At the Close of Day

Psalm 134

"Behold now, bless the LORD, all you servants of the LORD, you that stand by night in the house of the LORD.

Lift up your hands in the holy place and bless the LORD; the LORD who made heaven and earth bless you out of Zion."

A Reading

"Lord, you are in the midst of us and we are called by your Name: Do not forsake us, O Lord our God."

Jeremiah 14: 9, 22

"Lord, you now have set your servant free to go in peace as you have promised;

For these eyes of mine have seen the Savior, whom you have prepared for all the world to see;

A Light to enlighten the nations, and the glory of your people Israel."

Prayers for ourselves and others may follow. It is appropriate that prayers of thanksgiving for the blessings of the day, and penitence for our sins, be included.

The Lord’s Prayer

The Collect

"Visit this place, O Lord, and drive far from it all snares of the enemy; let your holy angels dwell with us to preserve us in peace; and let your blessing be upon us always; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

The almighty and merciful Lord, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, bless us and keep us. Amen."


Book of Common Prayer, p.140

Tonight, as I prayed, I was mindful of of the many saints on earth and in heaven who prayed with me, some perhaps saying the very same prayers. Surely someone, somewhere said "The Lord's Prayer" with me.

8 comments:

  1. Interesting how your blog so frequently sends me directly to either the Bible or the BCP.

    This is beautifully said, and had me reaching for my BCP.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Grandmere, which I need to say today. I really needed to hear these words about prayer and also pray with you all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I admired Olsen words so. They changed my way of seeing private prayer as not so private. We are in the company of saints when we pray.

    ReplyDelete
  4. May nightime prayers have, over time, been pruned to the barest essentials. Yet, as my head hits the pillow, I recite a psalm verse and say the Lord's Prayer, knowing that I do so as part of the endless offering of human hearts to God's glory and purposes. (And my intercessions are those of a child, seeking God's blessing.)

    I owe an awareness of the great company of prayer to the Benedictine flavor of my formation through the Order of the Holy Cross. Thanks, Fr. Tom and others!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you. What a wonderful reminder of the power of being connected to this Body of Christ. It is a hard thing to keep in one's mind, that our prayers are joined to every time and place. I seem to become aware of it, and then forget, over and over again.

    I find it help to keep something in my prayer space that reminds me of this - often a picture of faithful saints who have gone before, or of a worshiping community in another place.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Paul, I don't think the length of our prayers makes much difference. It's the attitude of the heart.

    Pastor David, I tend to forget about the "cloud of witnesses", too. Perhaps some sort of reminder would help me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. yes, Mimi, this was lovely, and I'm sure many people were saying the Lord's prayer with you.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.