Sunday, November 25, 2007

The Lynching Tree

Dr. James Cone, who is a professor at Union Theological Seminary in New York City, appeared on Bill Moyers Journal this past Friday evening. I did not watch program, but Jane from Acts of Hope posted a link to the video on the PBS website at her "other blog" and urged any and all to watch. I heartily second her recommendation. The program is 30 minutes long.

I saw the interview online last night, and it was excellent. Dr. Cone's words are a reminder to us here in the US of the interlocking history of black and white in our country. Readers from other countries may gain insight to issues which are - as both Moyers and Cone say - not so much part our history, but part of our DNA.

Here's a description of the program from the PBS website:

With the noose and the lynching tree entering the national discussion in the wake of recent news events, Bill Moyers interviews theologian James Cone about how these powerful images relate to the symbol of the cross and how they signify both tragedy and triumph.

In the comments at Jane's place, I said this:

Wow! That was powerful. The power of the powerless. You can't kill the spirit. The oppressors can't win.

Thanks for the link, Jane. I would not have wanted to miss that.


You won't want to miss it either.

7 comments:

  1. I have the program in my DVR, so I will watch it later, but will also check out the link to Jane.

    Moyers is always great. And this topic- essential.

    Thanks Grandmere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. James Cone is something else, a joy to watch. And Moyers, too. He knows how to treat his guests.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the link, Mimi. That "other blog" is a blog I have just begun as a resource of, for, and with the Anti-Racism Committee of the Episcopal Diocese of North Carolina.

    I watched the show again. Very strong. I'm trying to figure out ways to share it with my students, congregants, et al.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jane, I hope that you find a way to show it to your students, congregants, etc. It will be to their great benefit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. James Cone is a must read for those interested in social justice. His critique of the Gospel in the context of the black (his word) experience is relevant to all disenfranchised groups working for justice. His enthusiasm and credibility was evident in the Moyer's piece.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, hi there, Stephen Hood, you who have not written a word on your "blog" since September, 2006. Get with it, my friend.

    You have adorable children. I see that they get their good looks from their mom.

    I have not read any of James Cone's books, but, obviously, I'm going to have to remedy that.

    Thanks for visiting and leaving the good words.

    Folks, I know this guy, so I take the liberty of being irreverent with him.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.