Sunday, December 23, 2007

O Virgo Virginum



O Virgo Virginum (An Anglican Bonus)

O Virgin of virgins,
how shall this be?
For neither before was any like thee,
nor shall there be after.
Daughters of Jerusalem,
why marvel ye at me?
That which ye behold is a divine mystery.

O Virgo virginum,
quomodo fiet istud?
Quia nec primam similem visa es
nec habere sequentem.
Filiae Ierusalem,
quid me admiramini?
Divinum est mysterium hoc quod cernitis.


Luke 1:26-35

In the sixth month the angel Gabriel was sent by God to a town in Galilee called Nazareth, to a virgin engaged to a man whose name was Joseph, of the house of David. The virgin’s name was Mary. And he came to her and said, ‘Greetings, favored one! The Lord is with you.’ But she was much perplexed by his words and pondered what sort of greeting this might be. The angel said to her, ‘Do not be afraid, Mary, for you have found favor with God. And now, you will conceive in your womb and bear a son, and you will name him Jesus. He will be great, and will be called the Son of the Most High, and the Lord God will give to him the throne of his ancestor David. He will reign over the house of Jacob forever, and of his kingdom there will be no end.’ Mary said to the angel, ‘How can this be, since I am a virgin?’ The angel said to her, ‘The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you; therefore the child to be born will be holy; he will be called Son of God.

Alas! I have not found music for "O Virgo", since this antiphon only appears in the Sarum (Anglican) Rite. The rest of the videos come from a Roman Catholic source.

Also, see the meditation posted by Vicki Black at Speaking to the Soul at the Episcopal Café.

Image from ChantBlog.

Text from Apostolcity.

5 comments:

  1. Thank you, dear Mimi! So good to be welcomed back by your holy posts. What a treat. What a blessing.

    Now - what is Grandpère cooking for Christmas? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jane, welcome back and thank you. I loved doing them. I will probably post them again next year, if I'm still blogging. Much of the work will already be done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what is this "if I'm still blogging" nonsense? Of course you will still be blogging!

    Blogging is like the Eagle's song Hotel California, really. "You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave."

    Besides, we have next years OCICBW gathering to start planning soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jane, Grandpère is cooking a prime rib and rice dressing for Christmas. We'll take a ham, too, and the sweets that folks have given us. I'm making a pecan pie to give us even more in the way of sweets. We're gong to my daughter's house in New Orleans for the day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dennis, the blogging is consuming my life. For my New Year's resolution, I must introduce some discipline into the blogging thing. OCICBD, and the blogging thing would stop abruptly. Don't worry; I'm fine.

    I need to check out more, so I won't leave.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.