Monday, January 21, 2008

Exercise Suggestion For "Older Adults"

From my brother-in-law:

An excellent exercise for "older adults" like me:
Begin by standing on a comfortable surface, where you have plenty of room at each side. With a 5 lb potato sack in each hand, extend your arms straight out from your sides and hold them there as long as you can. Try to reach a full minute, and then relax. Each day, you'll find that you can hold that position for just a bit longer.

After a couple of weeks, move up to l0 lb. potato sacks. Then try 50 lb potato sacks and then eventually try to get to where you can lift a l00 lb potato sack in each hand and hold your arms straight for more than a full minute.

(I'm at this level) After you feel confident at this level, put a potato in each of the sacks.

7 comments:

  1. Great roars of laughter!

    Thanks, GM.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My daughter just sent me another joke. It's funny, but it's not suitable for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Right, paul!

    I would only start with a potato weighing 1/2 lb.

    Actually, I would just start with the standing part!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Grandmere... You have no idea how I needed that laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The 100 lb sacks are too long for me. Of course the added potato rests on the floor so I can actually hold the sacks for more than a minute even with several potatoes. Advantage of being short. 5 lb sacks with potatoes are far more difficult.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It certainly is good to have a hearty laugh! Thanks, Mimi.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I liked it. I hope that my sources keep the laughs coming, or I'll be forced into "Confucius say...." mode. I have a vast supply of those handy.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.