Monday, January 7, 2008

From Kirstin In New Orleans

Kirstin from Barefoot and Laughing is in New Orleans working on a project. This is not her first visit to the city, so she was somewhat prepared for what she'd see on her second visit. I say somewhat prepared, but, no matter how many times you see the devastation, you cannot truly be prepared. Her account of her travels around the city by street car, and by bicycle is at the link above. It's well worth a read. The following words of hers on the Lower Ninth Ward struck me to the heart:

...but the whole time I was in the Lower 9th, I felt like I was staring at the grave of a community. I could almost see the silence. Driving—or biking—around and gawking felt profoundly disrespectful and wrong.

If you come here, I implore you—take the stories home, and tell them. Use the time that you have spent here. Don’t just look, and go on with your lives.


The Lower Ninth is, in a sense, the grave of a community. Thank you, Kirstin, for bearing witness. Thank you for telling the story.

Please go read Kirstin's post.

10 comments:

  1. My sister and I visited NO last April from Australia. I had been there in 1999 and wanted to take my sister who is a jazz lover. Friends had told me the main tourist areas were ok and the city needed tourists (not that we are big spenders but I guess every little helps). We did not want to take the advertised tours of the flooded area, we would have felt very uncomfortable but the bus driver who took us to the swamp tour asked if he could show us his home area on the way back to the city. We were appalled. It is not what one would expect in a country seen as so wealthy. I have passed Kirstin's description onto friends. We can do little more than pray for her and other workers down here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brian, welcome. It was good of you and your sister to go to New Orleans. The pictures don't tell the story, do they?. It's disgraceful and embarrassing that the Bush maladministration has done so little for the people of New Orleans. The state and city officials have not done much better by them, either.

    A great part of the recovery that has taken place is due to the determination and courage of the people of NO and to volunteers, who have come to help.

    I am a native of New Orleans, but I no longer live there. I'm nearby and visit often. It's still the home of my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Wounded Bird for the lede to Kristin. You folks Rock Big Dogs!
    I especially loved the Amazing Grace Trumpet Video.
    When people come to New Orleans now they see more and more survivors, fewer and fewer victims. This is due in no small measure to the kindness of strangers such as yourselves. Really.
    Thanks again,
    Bruce
    editor / NO News Ladder

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bruce, welcome, and thanks for the kind words. I am a native of New Orleans, and I grew up there. I don't live very far away, so I visit often. I still miss it, although I've not lived there for over 40 years.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Big hugs to Kirstin.

    When I don't know what to say I resort to hugs, and I'm tired of typing all those parentheses.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm looking forward to meeting Kirstin in New Orleans next week. I'll give her a hug for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi PJ--((((hugs)))) back! I'll keep everybody posted. Most of what I've been doing this week is research and meetings.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.