Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Feast Day Of George Herbert



From James Kiefer at the Lectionary:

After serving at Cambridge as Public Orator, Herbert was ordained to the priesthood.

He served faithfully as a parish priest, diligently visiting his parishioners and bringing them the sacraments when they were ill, and food and clothing when they were in want. He read Morning and Evening Prayer daily in the church, encouraging the congregation to join him when possible, and ringing the church bell before each service so that those who could not come might hear it and pause in their work to join their prayers with his.
....

Today, however, he is remembered chiefly for his book of poems, "The Temple", which he sent shortly before his death to his friend Nicholas Ferrar, to publish if he thought them suitable. They were published after Herbert's death, and have influenced the style of other poets, including Samuel Taylor Coleridge. Several of them have been used as hymns.


Readings:

Psalm 23 or 1
1 Peter 5:1-4
Matthew 5:1-10

PRAYER:

Our God and King, who called your servant George Herbert from the pursuit of worldly honors to be a pastor of souls, a poet, and a priest in your temple: Give us grace, we pray, joyfully to perform the tasks you give us to do, knowing that nothing is menial or common that is done for your sake; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever.

THE HOLDFAST

I threatened to observe the strict decree
Of my deare God with all my power and might:
But I was told by one, it could not be ;
Yet I might trust in God to be my light.

Then will I trust, said I, in him alone.
Nay, ev'n to trust in him, was also his:
We must confesse, that nothing is our own.
Then I confesse that he my succour is:

But to have nought is ours, not to confesse
That we have nought. I stood amaz'd at this,
Much troubled, till I heard a friend expresse,
That all things were more ours by being his.
What Adam had, and forfeited for all,
Christ keepeth now, who cannot fail or fall.


George Herbert

Image from Wiki

5 comments:

  1. Thanks, Mimi. Here's a seasonal one:

    ¶ Lent.

    Welcome deare feast of Lent: who loves not thee,
    He loves not Temperance, or Authoritie,
    But is compos'd of passion.
    The Scriptures bid us fast; the Church sayes, now:
    Give to thy Mother, what thou wouldst allow
    To ev'ry Corporation.

    The humble soul compos'd of love and fear
    Begins at home, and layes the burden there,
    When doctrines disagree.
    He sayes, in things which use hath justly got,
    I am a scandall to the Church, and not
    The Church is so to me.

    True Christians should be glad of an occasion
    To use their temperance, seeking no evasion,
    When good is seasonable;
    Unlesse Authoritie, which should increase
    The obligation in us, make it lesse,
    And Power it self disable.

    Besides the cleannesse of sweet abstinence,
    Quick thoughts and motions at a small expense,
    A face not fearing light:
    Whereas in fulnesse there are sluttish fumes,
    Sowre exhalations, and dishonest rheumes,
    Revenging the delight.

    Then those same pendant profits, which the spring
    And Easter intimate, enlarge the thing,
    And goodnesse of the deed.
    Neither ought other mens abuse of Lent
    Spoil the good use; lest by that argument
    We forfeit all our Creed.

    It 's true, we cannot reach Christ's fortieth day;
    Yet to go part of that religious way,
    Is better than to rest:
    We cannot reach our Savior's purity;
    Yet are bid, Be holy ev'n as he.
    In both let 's do our best.

    Who goeth in the way which Christ hath gone,
    Is much more sure to meet with him, than one
    That travelleth by-ways:
    Perhaps my God, though he be far before,
    May turn, and take me by the hand, and more
    May strengthen my decays.

    Yet Lord instruct us to improve our fast
    By starving sin and taking such repast
    As may our faults control:
    That ev'ry man may revel at his door,
    Not in his parlor; banqueting the poor,
    And among those his soul.

    ReplyDelete
  2. During my second year in Salisbury and Wells Theological College I was fortunate to serve a Sunday placement in the parish of Bemerton Heath and Bemerton, and on two occasions led a small congregation in the service of Evensong at St. Andrew's, Bemerton. It was as if George Herbert was looking over my shoulder ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Allen, thank you so much for the wonderful seasonal poem.

    RR, that must have been a moving experience.

    I notice that Jason has paid you a visit. You are kinder to him than I. I delete his comments without responding, but I liked your response to him, "You're barking up the wrong tree," in a nice way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I Love Love Love George Herbert and his poetry. Did my senior these on him in college.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Diane, you did? What a great topic. I love him, too.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.