Saturday, March 22, 2008

Silence And Stillness

Since today is a day of silence and of rest, I'll let others speak for me. So far the others are but one, Ann Fontaine, who has a lovely essay at the Episcopal Café.

Holy Saturday brings a Sabbath from noise. We sit in the stillness of grief wondering. Where has he gone? What has happened? How can this be?

Is it a time of rest as the Holy Saturday collect from the Book of Common Prayer proclaims?

"O God, Creator of heaven and earth: Grant that, as the crucified body of your dear Son was laid in the tomb and rested on this holy Sabbath, so we may await with him the coming of the third day, and rise with him to newness of life; who now lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen."


Do read the essay in its entirety.

14 comments:

  1. Today I have a house full of excited children and animals; the air is thick with the smells of baking, we are rushing around with last minute preparations for the great feast, and I still have a chocolate torte to make - but, yes! In the midst of all this there is silence and stillness!

    ReplyDelete
  2. RR, do I spot contradictions in this comment?

    I am half-sick today. I don't even know if I'll make it to church tomorrow, so I have an excuse for silence and stillness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No contradictions at all, Grandmere! You see I believe that it is possible to experience stillness and silence even in the outwardly noisiest of situations. I am silent and still when icing a cake. I can also stand in Times Square and say the same!

    I do hope that you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope that I feel better soon, too.

    You must be Brother Lawrence reincarnated if you can be still in the midst of all that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A quiet day indeed. Blessings to you my dear Mimi.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, Mimi, and thank you, Ann! I linked to it as well,after Mimi's example. Mimi, hope you feel better soon. Enjoy the rest. You've had an eventful few weeks. RR, I agree with Mimi! But you are right, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks all for the good wishes. I feel better than I felt this morning, and I had a bowl of Grandpère's delicious vegetable soup for lunch, which should make me well tout de suite.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you, Mimi. I'm also glad you stopped by to visit today.

    ReplyDelete
  9. G'mere Mimi -- We love you in silence and send prayers that you are well for tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Jan and SusanKay. I really haven't been very silent at all, have I?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope you are feeling well... Better than well... and that you made it to church this morning for your alleluias.

    I'm clicking over to read Ann's piece.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lindy, I am feeling better, thank you, not perfect, but better, and I did make it to church for the Alleluias, with Grandpère beside me for his semi-annual darkening of the church door. Imagine that!

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.