Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Feast Of The Annunciation



A lovely painting by a lovely saint. Fra Angelico was a holy man living a holy life in the midst of the 15th church, which was riddled with more than its share of corruption and evil-doing.

From last year's post on the feast of the Annunciation:

Either in a book or in a museum, I once saw a painting of the Annumciation in which Mary looked to be recoiling from the angel. She was kneeling with her hands in the air and leaning backwards, as though saying, "Oh, no!" This would seem to me to be the natural initial reaction of a young virgin girl to Gabriel's news. I have never been able to find a reproduction of that painting. I believe it was Flemish or Italian. Mary is on the right of the painting and the angel is hovering in the air to the left. Mary has on a blue dress.

I still would love to find a picture of that painting.

Isaiah 7:10-14

Again the Lord spoke to Ahaz, saying, Ask a sign of the Lord your God; let it be deep as Sheol or high as heaven. But Ahaz said, I will not ask, and I will not put the Lord to the test. Then Isaiah said: ‘Hear then, O house of David! Is it too little for you to weary mortals, that you weary my God also? Therefore the Lord himself will give you a sign. Look, the young woman is with child and shall bear a son, and shall name him Immanuel.

Luke 1:26-38

In the sixth month the angel Gabriel was sent by God to a town in Galilee called Nazareth, to a virgin engaged to a man whose name was Joseph, of the house of David. The virgin’s name was Mary. And he came to her and said, ‘Greetings, favoured one! The Lord is with you.’ But she was much perplexed by his words and pondered what sort of greeting this might be. The angel said to her, ‘Do not be afraid, Mary, for you have found favour with God. And now, you will conceive in your womb and bear a son, and you will name him Jesus. He will be great, and will be called the Son of the Most High, and the Lord God will give to him the throne of his ancestor David. 33He will reign over the house of Jacob for ever, and of his kingdom there will be no end.’ Mary said to the angel, ‘How can this be, since I am a virgin?’ The angel said to her, ‘The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you; therefore the child to be born will be holy; he will be called Son of God. And now, your relative Elizabeth in her old age has also conceived a son; and this is the sixth month for her who was said to be barren. For nothing will be impossible with God.’ Then Mary said, ‘Here am I, the servant of the Lord; let it be with me according to your word.’ Then the angel departed from her.


And then, in the power of the Spirit, Mary speaks the words of the glorious "Magnificat":

My soul magnifies the Lord,
and my spirit rejoices in God my Saviour,
for he has looked with favour on the lowliness of his servant.
Surely, from now on all generations will call me blessed;
for the Mighty One has done great things for me,
and holy is his name.
His mercy is for those who fear him
from generation to generation.
He has shown strength with his arm;
he has scattered the proud in the thoughts of their hearts.
He has brought down the powerful from their thrones,
and lifted up the lowly;
he has filled the hungry with good things,
and sent the rich away empty.
He has helped his servant Israel,
in remembrance of his mercy,
according to the promise he made to our ancestors,
to Abraham and to his descendants for ever.


Thus she gives a perfect description of the kingdom of God, the kingdom in opposition to the secular kingdoms of the world then and now.

PRAYER

Pour your grace into our hearts, O Lord; that we who have known the incarnation of your Son Jesus Christ, announced by an angel to the Virgin Mary, may by his cross and passion be brought unto the glory of his resurrection; who lives and reigns with you, in the unity of the Holy Spirit, one God, now and for ever. Amen

Image from Christus Rex.

17 comments:

  1. If you google Annunciation and Renaissance you'll get lots to chose from. There's a Rossetti Annunciation - not Renaissance, but Renaissance-inspired - which fits your bill.

    http://www.sciencemusings.com/blog/uploaded_images/rossetti4-755502.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  2. "He hath filled the hungry with good things / and the rich he hath sent empty away." I knew a man - an old man, born in the 1880's - who had a bust of Lenin on his mantelpiece, with this text, in Latin, pasted to its plinth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lapin, I've googled and googled and googled, but I will try your link when I have a chance. I've seen the Rosetti, but that's not the one. Mary is certainly recoiling in that one, too.

    Too bad that Lenin's utopia didn't come to be. Actually, I know that no utopia will be realized this side of heaven, but we can try to make things somewhat better and closer to the ideal and call the powerful to account.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE that prayer. I could live with the painting too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can imagine (and only imagine) how difficult it would have been for Mary.
    She was a very strong woman.
    I'm not sure if I would have been that strong. And certainly not at that age.

    ReplyDelete
  6. DP, the Magnificat is one of the touchstone prayers in my Christian life. As for Fra Angleico, well I can't say enough in admiration for his paintings. To me, it seems obvious that his paintings were prayerfully executed.

    Roland, yes. And she was probably about 16 years old. I don't know if I could have accepted as readily as she did. I believe that she didn't fully know what she was getting into. It was only over time that she came to know what God had done through her.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mimi- lovely post!

    As for the painting, lapin is of course correct about its source, Rossetti. It is a pre-Raphaelite. I saw it at the Tate in London years ago and it blew me away.

    Even if lapin has provided I link I also offer this...
    I have a photo of that very painting on my other blog. Click into this post from yesterday(my other blog) and it links to the older post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Fran. I have the image of the painting that I want in my mind, but it grows fainter every day, so I do want a picture. I will check out your links.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Here you go kids, not only the Annunciation painting but another bonus, plus my cat is feeling better.

    It is all good.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fran, the bonus is lovely.

    Great news about Boo-Boo.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Granmère Mimi, greetings from Lurkingdom. I came to visit because of the Annunciation. Your search piqued my curiousity. I'm wondering if the van Eyck painting in Washington's National Gallery might be the one you have in mind. The Virgin Mary has a very blue dress and her hands are in the air. She is facing the viewer rather than the angel who might appear to be floating but seems more grounded to me.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Annunciation_(van_Eyck,_Washington)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fleur, welcome from Lurkingdom. I hear that it's a nice place. That Van Eyck painting is gorgeous, isn't it? But it's not the one. But thanks for calling it to my attention. What a lovely sight! I think I'll save the link and possibly use it another time on my blog.

    The painting I'm looking for shows a side view of Mary kneeling down, and leaning backward, with an "Oh, no!" look on her face.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You did see this at FranIam, right?

    Just for you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. OH I am such a dummy. It is NOT the Rosetti. I guess I should have read the comments more closely but I am still glad that I put the post up for you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fran, I did see it. It's lovely, both the Millais and the Rosetti. Thank you.

    You are not a dummy, love.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Are you thinking of the Philippe de Champaigne? I think it's at the Metropolitan. Mary has her hands up in that one as if to say, "Oh... an Angel" I never believed she went on calmly reading the Isiah scroll.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lindy, that's a beautiful painting, but that's not it.

    Thank you all for trying to help me find the painting. In the process I've seen some lovely art works, so even if I haven't found mine, I've been enriched.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.