Tuesday, April 8, 2008

The Frick Collection


"Head of an Angel" - Gian Lorenzo Bernini (1598-1680) - 17th century, terracotta, coated with dark brown paint flaked with copper.

The Frick Collection, on East 70th Street in New York, along with a number of other small museums, is one of my favorites. The Cluny Museum and the Rodin Museum in Paris, the Convento di San Marco in Florence, and the Courtauldt Museum in London are among the others. They're small places, filled with art treasures that you can look at and linger with and see them all in half a day. I love that.

Of course, I'm thrilled to visit the great museums, but they can overwhelm, and I'm often left wondering what to see first and end up feeling rushed and worn out, because time runs out, and my feet wear out.

I adore the angel by Bernini that is pictured above. The first time I saw it, I gasped at the sight of it, my breath audible, because the sculpture is so full of life. The sweet smile and the tilt of the head are absolutely endearing. I fell in love at first sight.

The museum is housed in the former Henry Clay Frick mansion, facing Central Park. After the deaths of both Mr. and Mrs. Frick, the collection was opened to the public. And what a collection it is!

From the website:

The Frick Collection includes some of the best-known paintings by the greatest European artists, major works of sculpture (among them one of the finest groups of small bronzes in the world), superb eighteenth-century French furniture and porcelains, Limoges enamels, Oriental rugs, and other works of remarkable quality.

The museum was celebrating a new acquisition by Parmigianino, titled Antea. A thing of beauty it is, with the lovely face and neck with glowing skin, the luscious satin and lace. Of course, there's the dead marten draped over her shoulder, which put me off a little.

The Living Hall is one of my favorite rooms. On the fireplace wall are three magnificent 16th century portraits, El Greco's "St. Jerome" and on either side Hans Holbein the Younger's two Thomases, "Thomas Moore" and "Thomas Cromwell".

From past visits, I remembered the Rembrandts at the Frick, one his many self-portraits and another titled "The Polish Rider", whose authenticity was uncertain until recently, but opinion has come down in favor of its being a true work of the master. As I walked through the gallery, I had another breathless moment as I came upon the painting "Nicolas Ruts" by Rembrandt. I was taken by surprise, because I didn't remember ever seeing this painting in previous visits. I don't know whether it was out on loan or not being exhibited at those times. I bought a catalog of the collection, and the painting is not included in the catalog either. Anyway, it's wonderful and it was quite an unexpected pleasure to find it.

Oh, I could go on. Vermeer, Hals, Van Dyke, Goya, and El Greco's splendid "Purification of the Temple", shown below.

15 comments:

  1. Thanks for this description. The Rodin Museum is probably my favourite and I always visit it when in Paris. The grounds are also lovely for a picnic lunch. I must have walked past the Cluny but never visited, will remedy that next time. Will also put the Frick on my list if I ever return to New York. Like you I find big museums daunting and tend to see nothing properly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh- Brian R, yes the Rodin museum is great.

    Glad I had that momentary diversion before I make Fran's MOST Embarrassing Admission.

    I am 50, I lived within 30 miles of New York City for most of those 50 years, I worked in NYC for 20 years.

    I have never, ever been to the Frick Museum.

    I hang my head in shame.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brian, I was going to do a post on the Frick anyway, but your art exhibit review got me moving, so thank you. Writing a post like this one is a labor of love. Even if my expertise about art is miniscule, I am passionate about the art that I love. I actually do gasp audibly at times. My response to art is highly emotional.

    Fran, what can I say about you? As Ann Landers used to say, "Thirty lashes with a wet noodle!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mimi: I can relate to your reactions to art. I have often been moved to tears or been visibly shaken when looking at a particularly stirring painting or sculpture.

    I've been to NYC many times and never visited The Frick. It will not happen again.

    I will come back to read your post more thoroughly, as I'm in a bit of a rush.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I adore the Frick, Mimi---this post made me so happy!!!

    My dear friend attended General Theological Seminary, and we are hoping to go up to visit a friend of ours who will start there this fall. When we do, the Frick will be high on the list of places to go.

    Fran--road trip!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Frick is a fave of mine, too -- so accessible and not overwhelming - interesting to think of it as having been a home. I also like the Isabel Stewart Gardner in Boston -- her eclectic tastes amuse me and to go there in midwinter, stop in the courtyard and get a taste of spring - delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is a wonderful collection. The juxtaposition of the Holbein portraits of the two Thomases - Cromwell and Moore - is quite a pairing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pagan Sphinx, I'm glad I'm not the only one. Do visit the Frick when you're in NY again. You will love it.

    Doxy, it made me happy, too. When I went this time, the Bernini angel had been moved to a dark corner, and I had to ask where it was.

    Ann, the Gardner museum is quite a place, too, crowded with treasures. Did you know that the trust states that none of the items in the museum can be moved around within the museum? There are masterpieces hanging quite high on the walls in poor light, but their positions can't be changed.

    Lapin, that whole wall is amazing. Did you see that my post had no ending? I just stopped, because I could have gone on and on.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes -- ISG is such an odd place --- of course their best was stolen years ago. They have quite a collection of musty copes and religious gear.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Here is the Isabella Stewart Gardner.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ann, thanks for the link. They lost Rembrandts and a Vermeer, if I remember correctly. It's the very personal collection of a strong-minded woman.

    ReplyDelete
  12. And the next time you are in Chicago, do not miss the Oriental Institute. It is small and amazing. Among other things, it has an actual idol of El, the mother goddess of Ba El, the one the Canaanites worshiped when the Hebrews came to their land, a contemporary account of the first battle of Jerusalem, and some absolutely spectacular Egyptian artifacts.

    You can walk through it in an afternoon or spend several years there.

    FWIW
    jimB

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jim, I take note of The Oriental Institute. The Art Institute of Chicago is another of my favorites. With a day and a half, I felt that I pretty well covered it.

    One fond memory of Chicago is our February Valentine's Special stay at the Palmer House, with free champagne and strawberries dipped in chocolate waiting in our room. During our visit, we saw Nathan Lane and Matthew Broderick in "The Producers" before it opened to great acclaim on Broadway.

    The Art Institute was just around the corner, and we ate at several excellent restaurants near the hotel. It takes courage to visit Chicago in February, but the price was right. The day after we left a blizzard shut down all activity at O'Hare.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's how I feel about the Renwick in DC. It became kind of a hideaway for me because it was so out of the way.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lindy, I've never been there. I'll make a mental note to visit if I ever go back to DC.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.