Saturday, April 26, 2008

"Lady Tambourine"


From the Times-Picayune:

Friday, April 25, 2008
By Doug MacCash

She's one of those only-in-New Orleans institutions. To some, she's a star; to others, a nuisance. Either way, she has been a constant presence for more than a decade to those crowded under the Gospel Tent at The New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival presented by Shell.

Though she is rarely listed among official performers, today from 1:40 to 2:20 p.m. she's the main attraction, with her professional name spelled out on a stylishly lettered Jazzfest stage sign for all to see: Rosalie "Lady Tambourine" Washington.


Rosalie tends to attract a good deal of attention with her movements, sound, and great energy, sometimes more than the star performer, so not everyone welcomes her. I have never seen her perform. Since the jazz fest became so large and crowded, I no longer attend. In truth, although big name stars appear there now, I liked it better when it was smaller and the entertainers were, for the most part, from New Orleans. I could have spent days in the Gospel tent. One excellent group after another performed, many of them choirs from the black churches around town.

Here's a video of Rosalie performing with Cowboy Mouth, or should I say taking over from Cowboy Mouth, who does not seem to be threatened by her. In fact, he gives her the stage. I love it.

Spiritual groove

Washington was born 51 years ago in Denham Springs, one of six kids raised by second cousin Wilhelmena Jackson Landry, who played tambourine in a Pentecostal church.

"She looked like she was 6 feet tall," Washington recalls of her percussive role model. "It looked like fire was coming from the tambourine. . . . I said, 'Lord I wish I could play like that.' "

Washington took up the fiery instrument, rattling along with sacred music on Sunday mornings, as well as with the more secular selections she found on her older sister's Carlos Santana albums.

"People say I sound like a set of drums," she said of her aggressive style. "It's very spiritual, giving God all you have."
....

"A lot of choirs didn't want me to play," she said. "I get all the attention. I'm glad they can't throw me out of heaven."


Rosalie, I know the feeling.

5 comments:

  1. Thank you for telling us about Lady Tambourine. Cool lady!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that is so great.

    And so are you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kay and I were among the 30,000 people in the Astrodome for Eve Ensler's Vagina Monologue a few weeks ago. She was listed as a member of the Gospel Choir that night. Even though we were high above the stage in the 'nosebleed' section, we could feel her joy and jubilation echoing and reverberating off the stage and the walls of the dome. We could see the joy in her face as she played and danced with her tambourine. She was truly amazing to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fran, thank you, love.

    Two Auntees, I'm so envious that you actually got to see Rosalie perform. She's a bundle of energy and joy, all right. You are soooo lucky!

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.