Sunday, May 18, 2008

Shield Of TheTrinity


Arms attributed to St. Michael in the 15th century.

"The Father is God"
"The Son is God"
"The Holy Spirit is God"
"God is the Father"
"God is the Son"
"God is the Holy Spirit"
"The Father is not the Son"
"The Son is not the Father"
"The Father is not the Holy Spirit"
"The Holy Spirit is not the Father"
"The Son is not the Holy Spirit"
"The Holy Spirit is not the Son"

Taken from The Athanasian Creed.

Julian of Norwich

Just as the joyful Trinity
created all things
out of nothing,

So also this same blessed Trinity
will make well
all that is not well.

-------

Our soul is trinitarian
like to the
uncreated Trinity.

It is known
and loved
from without beginning
and in its creation
oned to the Creator.


Alas! The feast is nearly ended - indeed, has already ended for some. I'm sorry to be late.

Shortened explanation of the shield and image from Wiki.

Words of Julian of Norwich from Meditations With Julian of Norwich by Brendan Doyle.

10 comments:

  1. Oh Mimi- gorgeous. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This morning did your parish sing all 400 verses of St Patrick's Breastplate? ("I bind unto myself today...")

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dennis, we only did seven verses. Did your parish do all 400? I like St. Patrick's Breastplate. I love mystical and Celtic and the fairies, you know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is never too late for Dame Julian.

    While staunchly trinitarian, I find the rather late Athanasian Creed to be so far out there that I cannot recite it. Too western.

    Glad you celebrated the day for us; I did not get around to it. We sang no verses of the Breastplate yesterday - a great sadness for me. "Holy, holy, holy" (Nicaea) is so unutterably drab by comparison.

    ReplyDelete
  5. TheMe, what are you then? A Unianglican?

    Dame Julian, the woman for all seasons!

    I don't recall ever having been called upon to recite the Athanasian Creed in my life. I wouldn't like to do it often.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, Mimi! We did the Breastplate and Holy, Holy, Holy, and also Haydn's St. Nicolas Mass!(I don't know if there is a tie-in to the Trinity) with Strings, Horns, and Oboes. It was, ahem, dare I say it?, wonderful. I sang soprano in the solo quartet, also.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Susan, we did "Holy, Holy, Holy", too, but you outdid us all with the St. Nicholas Mass with musical instrument trimmings. Sounds lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  8. TheMe, what are you then? A Unianglican?

    Nope, I am quite happy with the idea of a trinitarian picture of God, I just think the existing theology which underpins the doctrine is a rather screwed up political hodge-podge, concocted to settle an argument.

    Covenant anyone?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I actually agree, TheMe, and tend not to give theological explanations of the Trinity much thought. I simply accept it. I don't see it as a problem to be solved. The shamrock works for me.

    Covenant anyone?

    Whatever it takes to get a recalcitrant Anglican like you in line - short of burning and stoning.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.