Sunday, June 15, 2008

A Fast For Equality

As you may know, the California Supreme Court declared that the state ban on same-sex marriages was unconstitutional, thereby giving all couples in the state the right to be married. In response, Bishop Marc Andrus of the Episcopal Diocese of California suggested pastoral guidelines for the clergy and laity of the diocese regarding weddings. Directive No. 1 states:

I urge you to encourage all couples, regardless of orientation, to follow the pattern of first being married in a secular service and then being blessed in The Episcopal Church. I will publicly urge all couples to follow this pattern.

In this manner, all couples, whether male/female, female/female, or male/male will be afforded the same treatment by the church. Only blessings will be performed by the church after the couples have been married in a civil ceremony, until such time as the canons of the Episcopal Church change so that all may have equal access to church weddings. Read the rest of the letter, including the other guidelines.

Richard Helmer, rector of The Church of Our Savior, in Mill Valley, California, has chosen to follow Bishop Andrus' directives. His eloquent and inspiring statement of his reasons for so doing is at his blog, Caught By The Light. Richard says:

Bishop Marc, it seems to me, has chosen along with his Diocese a very careful, tenuous path of grace in a conflicted Church. Following his recommendation, I informed my vestry yesterday evening that I would no longer preside over a marriage of any kind until The Episcopal Church has settled on a way forward that honors the covenants of all couples with equality. Rather, I will treat all couples who approach me for marriage equally by offering counseling and blessing, and referring them to the civil authorities to publicly declare their vows as legally binding. By equality, I don't mean political equality (although that naturally follows), but equality in terms of the recognition of God's grace.

A parishioner asked me yesterday if I was therefore withholding the sacrament of marriage. After reflection, I decided I wasn't because I can't. It is the couple who engage in the sacrament of marriage. At best, as a priest, I can only name it and declare it publicly. The sacrament of marriage between couples of all sorts will continue with or without my help in that particular way. In a curious sense, that's liberating Good News, as I fast from this part of ordained priesthood.


Indeed, in my many years of Roman Catholic schooling, I was always taught that the minister of the sacrament of marriage is not the priest, but the couple themselves. The priest pronounces that the commitment has been made and blesses the couple and the covenant they have agreed to with one another.

Richard names refraining from officiating at weddings as a fast until all couples in his parish may receive equal treatment with respect to church weddings. To me that's close to an ideal description of the practice. I've said before that I'd like to see the church out of the marriage business altogether, with the couple receiving the church's blessing after a period of discernment by their church community.

Richard allows that the practice of blessing all couples is at the edge of the boundaries of what the canons of the Episcopal Church permit:

While our violation of canons by what we are doing in this case is quite arguable (I believe we have pushed their limits, but not transgressed them), amid the half-veiled or fully naked calls that we are anarchists and rejecters of the rule of law, I am reminded of the legacy of civil disobedience. Is there such a thing in an ecclesiastical setting? It was St. Augustine who argued that an unjust law is no law at all. Perhaps we are starting to point towards this ancient truth in our actions at this time.

I left the following comment at Richard's blog:

Richard, an eloquent and inspiring post. Thank you for taking the time to share your words. Just last night, durng my walk, I thought of the civil rights struggles here in the US. I thought of civil disobedience and wondered what the term would be for such actions within the church. Ecclesial disobedience? Ecclesiastical disobedience? I don't know, but you make the important point that if one engages in such actions, one must be willing to face the consequences of those actions, as those in the civil rights movement had to, with the consequence that some died as a result of their part of the struggle for equality. Others went to jail. They were willing to pay the price.

FWIW, I believe that Bishop Andrus has made the proper decision and that yours to follow his recommendations is proper and right.


Please read Richard's well-reasoned and eloquently written post in its entirety.

18 comments:

  1. Mimi -- as I may have mentioned before (for all those who have been taking notes of my babbling -- just jesting of course), my husband and I were married in 1998 using mostly the rite "proposed for same sex blessings" at the previous GC (where it obviously did not pass). We found it so wonderful in that it took marriage in some way MORE seriously than the PB version. It clearly reflected the hopes of those who had ONLY hope at that time. People who are "entitled" to marriage as a result of being heterosexual may not be swept away by the sacred mysterie of it. Anyway, that was our experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. SusanKay, thanks for that lovely story. Maybe one day....

    ReplyDelete
  3. We're looking at October. We are NOT looking at a "church wedding" of any sort but we are hoping that God will be invoked for my beloved, and a spirit of love and joy for me the atheist.

    Of course we scarcely let ourselves believe that this will really happen....

    IT

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of the pleasant quirks of California law is that anybody can officiate at a marriage. You just file a form with the county clerk with the names of the people involved, the date of the ceremony, and you get sworn in as a volunteer deputy registrar. On the appointed day, the "Deputy for a Day" as they're called in Los Angeles County, witnesses the vows and signs the papers which are then submitted to the county office.

    So there's no particular reason why you have to have multiple ceremonies. Just have a lay person preside over the vows and the declaration of marriage and sign the certificate. The clergy can preach and celebrate the Eucharist. As you said, the couple themselves are the true ministers anyhow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post Mimi! A fast- wow, that is an excellent way to work for justice.

    I love Susankay's story - nice.

    IT- how I cheer you and your beloved on!

    In my (RC) church, our pastor often speaks about how marriage in a church is not about pleasing parents or doing the right thing but it is about community.

    Jesus made room for everyone at the table.

    ReplyDelete
  6. IT, if I may ask, why are you concerned that your ceremony may not happen?

    John, thanks for the information. Bishop Andrus will register as a volunteer deputy, and he is urging his priests and laity to do so, too.

    Jesus made room for everyone at the table.

    Fran, yes, including the one who betrayed him.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hooray for my bishop and my colleague Richard. Makes me proud to be an Episcopalian from the Diocese of California.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear friends,

    You all have been far too generous with your praise! It might be a more admirable position on my part if couples were banging down my door to be married, but, so far they are not!

    I credit Bishop Marc with holding up
    the example of treating couples equally, and his example of civil disobedience of which I was originally skeptical. He said at the time that civil disobedience can be powerful witness. I've learned that he is correct as I have watched it change things in this diocese in subtle and important ways, not least of all in my own ministry.

    Fasts are first and foremost a spiritual discipline. I take this small one to remind myself of the inequality in our present canonical structure. It's a way of pursuing honesty. That is all.

    Please pray with me for further progress towards a more comprehensive, just theology of marriage in our Church!

    God's peace.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Richard's blog is great. I'm glad he's posting again after what seemed like a long hiatus. I'm grateful for his insights.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Please pray with me for further progress towards a more comprehensive, just theology of marriage in our Church!

    AMEN!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know that I can be pedantic in complaining about the use of words, but I question this increasing use of "fasting" for the cessation of certain church actions for parishoners.

    If I choose to deny myself food for a spiritual purpose, that is undoubtedly fasting. But if I deny food to another, who is hungry, for my spiritual purpose, that's obviously not fasting.

    It's kind of like those who occasionally like to "confess" other people's sins. If they are my sins it's truly confession. But if they are another's, what we're really talking about is accusation.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Rick, in the Old Testament, I believe you will find many references to prophets and leaders calling for fasts from their people.

    Sometimes you make the oddest linkage. This is not in any way comparable to withholding food from hungry people. Really.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Rick,

    To carry your metaphor further:

    Yet if I feed some of my brothers and sisters who are hungry while deliberately withholding the same food from others, what does that say? I would argue this is the reality in the Church right now as far as solemnization of marriage goes.

    But we best not push the metaphor too far. Couples marry each other, after all. The real underlying principle here is treating all equally in God's grace - for that us where my prayers and theological reflection have taken me.

    For me, this is my fasting from a privilege. The solemnization of a marriage is easy to obtain in California. My withholding it will at most create inconvenience, not deep spiritual hunger.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like this idea. It reminds of that movie "In and Out" when the whole town sticks up for Kevin Kline by saying "I'm gay" at the school board meeting.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mimi, there are court challenges and haters every where.I have a feeling of dread that something will go wrong before it happe ns.

    IT

    ReplyDelete
  16. IT, I see. You're right. I will pray. I wish I could do more.

    We are all gay and lesbian at this site.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm promoting Elizabeth Kaeton's blog because I don't know how anyone can be dry-eyed at the sight of Phyllis and Del, married at last after 55 years.

    It's a very joyous day here in CA. The local news is full of happy voices and long-established partnerships "tying the knot". Oh how can anyone want to sunder Del and Phyllis (or IT and her BP?)

    IT

    ReplyDelete
  18. IT, I posted on Del and Phyllis at OCICBOV. I added an update with a link to Elizabeth's site.

    I'm so happy for the folks in California.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.