Thursday, June 5, 2008

From Grandpère's Garden



Missing from the picture are bell peppers and corn. We forgot the bell peppers, and we had eaten all the ripe corn. He picks the tomatoes when they are just short of being fully ripened, because a mocking bird is after them. He tries leaving those she/he has already pecked a hole in on the plants, but she goes after tomatoes she has not touched. It's a battle between them.

Squirrels were taking whole ears of ripened corn off the stalks - and they knew the ripe ones. Grandpère set the squirrel trap (they do not harm the squirrels) and caught two and carried them into the woods near us to release them. No more problems with the corn. I wouldn't have thought the small squirrels could carry off a whole ear of corn.

We feed birds in our yard, but squirrels get their share of the bird food, and sometimes we are overrun with too many of the little critters. The fresh produce is delicious, out of this world. There's nothing like it.

13 comments:

  1. Paul, we knew it was summer Sunday. It was hot at the end of our walk. This is better fruit from the summer weather than the heat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe you have tomatoes already. I just planted them! I won't see them until late August.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Caminante, by August ours will be finished, except for a few cherry tomato plants. We've had them produce until the first frost. I ate the large one on the right tonight. The taste was to die for.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you used a trap that harmed (snuffed), you could have squirrel and corn pot pies.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Padre Mickey! Snuffed, huh? I have eaten squirrel, but smothered in a gravy. It's not bad. But I'll pass on squirrel and corn pot pies.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nothing to beat home-grown! I still have some six week's waiting, but then ...

    ReplyDelete
  7. What wonderful-looking vegetables. I was about to post a fine eggplant/red pepper recipe that I make quite frequently when I remembered that I emailed it recently to Judith of Dogs' Hope, from whom I recently adopted Becky, my newest family-member. Judith not only cooked the recipe, in part using home-grown vegetables, but also posted a Flickr slideshow of the process. So why don't I link that instead?

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/dogs-hope/sets/72157605305203944/

    While you're there, time permitting check out some of her Dogs' Hope shots. She does excellent work. AND she's a librarian.

    ReplyDelete
  8. And there's nothing like the smell of a tomato that has just come in from the sun.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mm-mm-mm. Squirrel etouffé. I prefer possum mind you, but squirrel's good too.

    Mimi, what a stunning photograph! I'm jealous. My house backs up to an old railroad right-of-way that is now a woodland walking trail. It's beautiful, but full of critters. Even some very brave deer. We gave up trying to grow vegetables after the first couple of years. :(

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lapin, the recipe sounds delicious, and the pictures are beautiful. Judith is another hottie librarian!

    You can hardly go wrong with the fresh produce, unless you burn it.

    PJ, you prefer possum? It's a nice picture, but you see the usual damned finger in the picture. I gotta quit that.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sorry about the squirrels. (They come and live in our attic sometimes, which I hate). Beautiful garden produce! Yay for grandpere!

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.