Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Here They Go Again

From E. J. Dionne in the Washington Post:

Word spread like wildfire in Catholic circles: Douglas Kmiec, a staunch Republican, firm foe of abortion and veteran of the Reagan Justice Department, had been denied Communion.

His sin? Kmiec, a Catholic who can cite papal pronouncements with the facility of a theological scholar, shocked old friends and adversaries alike earlier this year by endorsing Barack Obama for president. For at least one priest, Kmiec's support for a pro-choice politician made him a willing participant in a grave moral evil.

Kmiec was denied Communion in April at a Mass for a group of Catholic business people he later addressed at dinner. The episode has not received wide attention outside the Catholic world, but it is the opening shot in an argument that could have a large impact on this year's presidential campaign: Is it legitimate for bishops and priests to deny Communion to those supporting candidates who favor abortion rights?


No, it is not! Not even the US Conference of Catholic Bishops goes that far.

The priest's actions are almost certainly out of line with the policy of the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops. In their statement"Forming Consciences for Faithful Citizenship," issued last November, the bishops said: "A Catholic cannot vote for a candidate who takes a position in favor of an intrinsic evil, such as abortion or racism, if the voter's intent is to support that position."

The "if" phrase in that carefully negotiated sentence suggests that Catholics can support pro-choice candidates, provided the purpose of their vote is not to promote abortion.


It's a typical Roman Catholic mind twist which was called a mental reservation back in my days in in the RCC, but it provides the same sort of "out" that permits RC women to have surgery to abort an ectopic pregnancy so they won't risk death from a ruptured tube.

It is outrageous that priests and bishops take it upon themselves to withhold the body and blood of Our Lord, as though Jesus needed to be protected. Since I left the RCC, I promised myself that I would not become a bitter ex-Roman Catholic, but stories like this test me severely.

And yes, I know that in my own church, the Episcopal Church, we have misguided bishops and priests who do the same sort of thing. However, we are a small church without the numbers and influence of the Roman Catholic Church on politics in the US. No matter who does it, it infuriates me.

However, despite the priest's pinched small-mindedness, it appears that good comes from the affair:

Kmiec says he is grateful because the episode reminded him of the importance of the Eucharist in his spiritual life, and because he hopes it will alert others to the dangers of "using Communion as a weapon."

Indeed!

9 comments:

  1. But it's okay to support a war-mongering president who has authorized the use of torture, caused the death of untold numbers of people in Iraq, and supported policies that prevent people from having affordable healthcare, decent education, and a clean environment?

    I would never use communion as a weapon, but if I were going to deny it to people for political reasons, I don't think I'd be casting my lot with THAT particular priest....

    ReplyDelete
  2. This touches a raw nerve with me too. My husband and I left the RCC because of a sermon that said Catholics who believed in birth control, and the advisability of married priests and female ordinations "had already separated themselves from the church and should not be in full communion with it." And of course, there are the priests who deny communion to people who advocate for gay rights.

    Vatican II has been so totally dismantled and stomped upon. It's sad.

    (To avoid confusion, just in case you've seen me make references to other churches in comments and posts, I'm on my fourth denomination. RC was my third.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Doxy, the dissonance is mind-boggling. Let the children be born, but once they are out of the womb, don't be concerned about their health care, enviroment, or education afterwards. Then when they are barely grown, send them off to evil and stupid wars to be killed and maimed.

    Ruth, I'm on my second. The Episcopal Church disappoints, too, but I've come to the conclusion that there is no perfect church, since the church is made up of sinful human beings. Surprise!

    It was child abuse, but especially the cover-up, that caused me to leave the RCC. We had our scandal years before the big national scandal, but no one around the country paid much attention to us. My former parish priest is in prison for life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I agree. There are no perfect denominations or churches. The reason I left in every case was that they tried to make me follow authority rather than conscience. No one comes between me and my God, not Baptist minister, Mennonite elder, Catholic deacon or pope. So off I went on another stage of the journey.

    Based on the fact that ECUSA embraces reason as well as scripture and authority, I'm hoping that it will remain ok for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Exceedingly uncharitable but, as you say, good comes of it because it alerts conservative RC's to the potential consequences of the Roman bishops' theoretical stance on "support for abortion" and receiving the Eucharist.

    With luck this will be one priest who has put paid to his chances of future advancement.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lapin, we can hope that this one priest won't advance. Under the present pope, I believe it's highly unlikely that any but conservatives will be elevated to the ranks of bishop or cardinal. Benedict is not young, and he will want the RCC to continue on the course he has set.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am not linking back to my blog, but I just posted on this too. Y'all know where to find me and how.

    It is unconscionable. Cardinal Mahony has decried the priest's actions but too late.

    As Doxy says and as I say in my post - what about other church teachings, such as the death penalty and war? I don't see people (nor do I think they should be) denied communion for that.

    It is very sad indeed.

    Jesus said "feed my sheep" not just certain ones.

    Just last night at Scripture Study our priest at church talked about how Jesus had a Eucharist moment with Judas in John's Gospel. No one is denied - we choose to gaze upon God lovingly through one another or we choose otherwise.

    God is alway there in fidelity, love and mercy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I admit that in the unlikely event that Bush or Cheney came to the rail I WOULD deny them communion as their moral outrages are a scandal to the faithful and a blot upon history. And I'd be willing to notify my bishop why, as required by the canons. It's not about reserving sacraments for the worthy, which none of us is, but I would feel compelled to draw the line at mass murder.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fran, your post was excellent. I sometimes ponder John XXIII's untimely (to me) death. What would have happened had he lived? Of course, those who followed him could still have tried to undo Vatican II.

    Paul, so you would refuse Bush and Cheney. Hmmm. I'll have to think about that. Of course, I'm not a lay Eucharistic minister, so I won't ever have to make that decision.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.