Tuesday, July 29, 2008

"A Man From The South"

From the blog of Bishop Alan Wilson of Great Missenden, Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom:

Monday, 28 July 2008
Man from the South

Spent the afternoon at the Windsor Report continuation hearing — the steamiest two hours this side of the Mississippi. By sheer coincidence one statement really got me thinking, from the Bishop of Mississippi, Duncan Gray. I commend it for a bit of thoughtful attention, as a slightly different take on TEC’s ups and downs:

[Bishop Duncan Gray]:

A bit of personal history: I have been nurtured and shaped within the Evangelical tradition of my Church. Most importantly, this means that the ultimate authority of the Holy Scripture and the necessity of an intimate relationship with the Lord Jesus as the way to the Father are foundational and non-negotiable components of my faith.

Within my own province, I voted not to consent to the election of Gene Robinson, for reasons both theological and ecclesiological. I have followed to the letter and the spirit of the Windsor Report — before there was a Windsor Report.

For my faithfulness to this communion I have been rewarded by regular incursions into our diocese by primates and bishops who have no apparent regard for either my theology or ecclesiology.

I have made some peace with this reality, preferring to think of the irregularly ordained as Methodists — and some of my best friends are Methodists!

What I cannot make peace with is the portrayal of my sister and brother bishops in the Episcopal Church, who disagree with me, as bearers of a false gospel. That portrayal does violence to the imperfect, but faithful, grace-filled, and often costly way, in which they live out their love of the Lord Jesus Christ.

Yes, I am in serious disagreement with many of them on the very critical sacramental and ethical issues about which the Communion is in deep conflict. Are we sometimes, at best, insensitive to the wider context in which we do ministry, and at worst, deeply embedded in American arrogance — Absolutely! And for that insensitivity and arrogance we have begged the Communion's forgiveness on several occasions. “But do I see the Church in them?” as the most serious question at the last hearing asked. As God is my witness, I do. Despite my profound disagreements I continue to pray “One Lord, one faith, one baptism.” We continue to reaffirm our creedal faith together. We continue to gather round the Lord’s table together, bringing the brokenness and imperfectness of our lives into the healing embrace of our Lord who sends us out together to the poor, the weak and the hopeless. And, in the midst of our internal conflicts, they show me Jesus.

There are dozens of bishops like me in the Episcopal Church. We are not a one, or even two dimensional Church. We are a multitude of diverse theological, ecclesiological and sacramental perspectives — and the vast majority of us have figured out a way to stay together.

How is this possible? I think it begins with the gift from Saint Paul, who taught us the great limitations of even our most insightful thought. We do, every one of us, “see through a glass, darkly.” And none of us can say to the other, “I have no need of you.”

One day, Saint Paul says, we will see face to face, the glory that we now only glimpse. But in the meantime, as each of us struggles to be faithful, may each of us, the Episcopal Church and the wider communion, find the courage, and the humility, to say to one another, “I need you — for my salvation and for the salvation of the world.”


Bishop Gray of the Episcopal Diocese of Mississippi, my neighbor state, exemplifies unity in the Spirit in the Body of Christ, despite differing opinions. Unfortunately, the media pay little attention to Bishop Gray and his kind. Those who want to tear the church apart get the coverage. Controversy sells. Christians bearing with one another despite disagreements are not newsworthy.

Thanks to Phil for calling this to my attention.

14 comments:

  1. After spending a couple of hours catching up on the Lambeth goings on, I have to say I'm not feeling very optimistic at all this morning. I've been wondering why I even bother spending time reading and thinking about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mike, I don't blame you. I believe that Lambeth is a great waste of time and money. The ABC is a walking disaster. At least Bp. Gray recognizes that his views may not embody the whole truth. Still, LGTB folks in his diocese do not have full inclusion and equality. His views are similar to those of my bishop.

    And it is an ongoing scandal that Gene Robinson is locked out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm afraid Lambeth only confirms my feelings that it is time for me to disengage completely from TEC.

    The only thing that surprises me about Lambeth is the depth of stupidity that seems to be revealing itself each and every day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a lovely statement, and I wish more of the bishops had this humility.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gary Lillibridge, bishop of West Texas and member of the "Windsor Continuation Group" that presented its recommendations to the Lambeth Conference yesterday, is divorced and remarried. Appears that Biblical morality can be elastic, not to say self-serving.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so sharing this with any conservative friend who suggests to disagree with them is to reject Scripture, starting with the otherwise-open-minded Missouri Lutheran who says Anglicans looking to Scripture for guidance must choose schism. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. People tend to forget that as Anglicans we are united by a common prayer book, not a common set of cookie-cutter beliefs. I wish QE I could come back and bash the lot of the schismatics in the noggin and explain that "common prayer book" business to them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mimi, I can't wait for your take on Mr. Stevens!

    http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0708/12142.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mike, of course, you must do what you think best, but if you could hold on a little longer....

    Ruth, I do, too.

    Lapin, you're right about the elastic morality. And Jesus himself had a few words to say about divorce and remarriage.

    WE, it's entirely possible for us to stay together. I believe that my bishop, Charles Jenkins, would say pretty much the same thing, although I don't want to put words into his mouth.

    Kirke, the Creeds, the baptismal covenant, which we repeat each time a person is baptized, the Prayer Book? Why isn't that enough?

    ReplyDelete
  10. And Grandmere--I am so deeply grateful for the true ministry you accomplish here. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can echo that statement in reverse. I know no "progressives" who speak against "traditionalists" just because they can't stand them or their points of view on any given matter. The "cancer" begins when there are those who feel it is their responsibility to proclaim who is "in" and who is "out", and if they don't do so, God will not bless them.

    Take it from someone who has been there; There's a great deal more adventure and joy in diving into the depths of diversity as opposed to wading in the kiddy pool of unanimity.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you, dear Margaret. Blessings back to you.

    KJ love, I bumped you up to the front page. Your words were too good to stay hidden in the comments.

    ReplyDelete
  13. KJ, well said!

    I don't know what to think any more. About Lambeth, I mean.

    I'm taking my cues from +Maya Pavlova, Feline Bishop Extraordinaire, who seems to have her priorities in the right place.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Jane, it must be great to have your own personal bishop, although +Maya is not very likely to take suggestions from you. I'm sure she has her own ideas about what a feline bishop should be about.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.