Saturday, July 26, 2008

Obama As Our Savior

MadPriest beat me to this one, but it's possible that I just may have one or two readers who don't read his blog. From the Times Online:

And it came to pass, in the eighth year of the reign of the evil Bush the Younger (The Ignorant), when the whole land from the Arabian desert to the shores of the Great Lakes had been laid barren, that a Child appeared in the wilderness.

The Child was blessed in looks and intellect. Scion of a simple family, offspring of a miraculous union, grandson of a typical white person and an African peasant. And yea, as he grew, the Child walked in the path of righteousness, with only the occasional detour into the odd weed and a little blow.

When he was twelve years old, they found him in the temple in the City of Chicago, arguing the finer points of community organisation with the Prophet Jeremiah and the Elders. And the Elders were astonished at what they heard and said among themselves: “Verily, who is this Child that he opens our hearts and minds to the audacity of hope?”


It's wonderfully written satire on Obama as our savior. Actually, it's not far from the image of Obama as certain folks paint him. As for me, I'm an old cynic. No politician will save us. We must save ourselves, politically speaking. No politician will lead us into the Promised Land, and if we expect that, then we shall be disappointed and proved wrong. But surely, we can do better than the Bush maladministration or a possible John McWorse maladministration.

The Europeans love Obama. Would that we could import a few million to come here and cast a vote for president. It would be a change to have a president that we could take a little pride in, one who could string two sentences together without making a malapropism, one who shows evidence of thoughtfulness and an adult-functioning brain. Just think. A president beyond one you would want to have a beer with. Absolutely revolutionary! I never wanted to have a beer with him anyway.

10 comments:

  1. Well, if it was a Dixie, I might have one. With Obama, that is; never with Bush.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I would, too, Robert, if it was a Corona - with Obama, I mean. When did that become one of the criteria for choosing a president? I hope no one ever says that to me again, or I may just smack them. I heard that ad nauseam about Bush.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could care less if the president was someone I'd want to have a beer or glass of wine with. I want someone who can govern the country, damn it. Most people I've had a glass of beer or wine with can't.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Laurelew, I never could understand that beer business. What does that have to do with governing? I suppose I'm too literal minded.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been a little perplexed at the enthusiasm of many Obama supporters, especially earlier in the primaries. He is, above all else, an Illinois politician, and I'm intensely suspicious of any politician who comes up in Chicago and the Illinois legislature.

    That being said, the whole Obama-as-savior thing is something that's largely an invention of the right wing. I have not heard a single Obama-supporting writer, pundit or voter describe Obama in those glowing terms. I have, however, heard Limbaugh, Hannity and Levin refer to Obama mockingly that way nearly every day that they're on. The notion of Obama worship is a straw man used by right wing pundits more than it's any kind of real phenomenon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bubs, the Obama worshipers are not that common, but I have met a few who are fierce in their defense of Obama at the first whiff of criticism. And then, there are the Obama haters, some of whom are downright scary.

    Obama worship is a straw man used by right wing pundits more than it's any kind of real phenomenon.

    You're right there, Bubs. They do the dirty work that the McWorse campaign won't stoop to.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Obama has one thing right. We need change. He seems unable to articulate anything beyond that. Oh, and he can smile.

    Denis Kucinich come back!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lindy, Dennis was my first choice, too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think that was the whole point of the Times piece, Mimi. A construct of the right wing was just fleshed out in the most amusing way. And the comments following the article are really telling. The right wing doesn't get that _they_ are the butt of the joke!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A few of commenters in the beginning were hilarious, because they didn't "get it", but after others said satire over and over, those comments ceased.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.