Monday, July 28, 2008

Take Courage!

In the midst of the troubles of the Anglican Communion, in which the Lambeth conference seems to be turning into farce, I take heart in these words from the Sunday readings in Romans 8:

What then are we to say about these things? If God is for us, who is against us? He who did not withhold his own Son, but gave him up for all of us, will he not with him also give us everything else? Who will bring any charge against God’s elect? It is God who justifies. Who is to condemn? It is Christ Jesus, who died, yes, who was raised, who is at the right hand of God, who indeed intercedes for us. Who will separate us from the love of Christ? Will hardship, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword? As it is written,

"For your sake we are being killed all day long;
we are accounted as sheep to be slaughtered."

No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. For I am convinced that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor rulers, nor things present, nor things to come, nor powers, nor height, nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.


The Anglican Communion is an institution. Institutions rise and fall. Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever. In that I place my hope.

12 comments:

  1. Good reminder. Thank you, brave woman with the tattoo!! I am impressed with that, among other things about you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Preach it Grandmere Mimi! Preach it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen, Mimi! That's where my hope is too.

    Mwaahhh!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, that makes four of us in communion with one another. Thanks be to God.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Make that five!

    I do love that passage so much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well put, Grandmere. Well put indeed.

    And I thought that I don't come back to the comments at my blog often enough, but your kindness to me there is much appreciated. I wanted to acknowledge that, but I wanted to be sure you saw it.

    Thank you for your comments, especially your last ones about my "ministerial statement." I hate writing those things. It was just the word of encouragement I needed to get over my own "acedia" on that issue.

    Gratias.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Robert, you're quite welcome. My comment on your ministerial statement was not kindness, but the truth as I see it. What hooked me was the emphasis on service, on being a servant. That will do it every time.

    You have served me since you started your blog. I've learned from you more than you can imagine.

    And aren't we a fine little communion of saints? And don't tell me you're not saints. A saint is simply a friend of God.

    ReplyDelete
  8. No, not good enough.
    This passage is horrible apologetic. I know I must be a really faithful christian because I am having such a shit time. I like to think I'm Gods mate too, but sometimes being a friend means having to tell them that it's just not good enough.

    I am more impressed with the tattoo.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah TheMe, don't you know that I'll do anything to get a rise out of you? Of course, being God's friend means that you'll have a shit time of it. It says so right there in Romans. And, of course, we tell our friends the truth.

    It's good to know that your sense of humor is intact in the midst of your misery. I put your first name on the prayer list at my church. Yes, I know your little secret.

    I'm impressed that you're impressed by my tattoo.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Is this what the Emerging Church looks like?

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.