Tuesday, July 15, 2008

This Will Be A Hellish Week


Actually my title is hyperbole. Saturday, we are leaving to go to Kansas City to visit my deceased sister's family. The days before we leave are filled with APPOINTMENTS. Why is it that the week before I travel always seems filled with obligations? Who did this to me? Of course, I did it to myself, not realizing when I made the APPOINTMENTS that I was leaving the following Saturday.

Today is the APPOINTMENT with the attorney, because our 11 year old will is no longer satisfactory and needs to be fixed. Oh joy! Most of the time I'll be sitting with glazed eyes, because my brain usually shuts down when I hear legal talk.

The rest of the week consists of maintenance APPOINTMENTS for me, the ear doctor, the dentist, and the hairdresser. If I don't get my hair cut before we go, I'll frighten the folks in Kansas City.

Yesterday, I took care of the pre-trip obligation with the highest priority - taking my two grandchildren to see "WALL-E". PJ ordered me to go. When PJ gives an order, I dare not disobey. It was incredibly good. Both my 12 year old granddaughter and my 8 year old grandson enjoyed it. My grandson was bug-eyed with all the machinery and technology. The animation was absolutely amazing. There was enough wit and irony included, along with the poignancy, to please the adults. I won't say more, because I don't want to spoil the movie for those who have not seen it. PJ was right to give the order.

I had my movie moment of blindness. My eyes take an unbelievably long time to adjust to darkness after coming in from bright sunlight. My grandchildren raced to their seats before I could go anywhere. There I stood on the bottom of the stairs straining to see them, but I could see nothing. I heard a faint "Mimi" several times, which sounded far away, and that was no help. After standing like an idiot on the stairs for an interminable period, I began to be able to see. No wonder the voice calling "Mimi" was faint. They were sitting in the rafters! Third row from the top, I believe. Then Grandson didn't have a straw, but there was no way I was going down the stairs again, and they didn't want to miss parts of the movie, so he and his sister shared the one straw.

My granddaughter will be going with us to Kansas City. She outgrew the bottom of her favorite swim suit, but the top still fits, and she wanted to go to the dreaded (by me) Walmart to look for a bottom of a suit, because the big box sells tops and bottoms separately. After looking and looking, she found a bottom that fit and matched her top. We picked up a few other items, and we went to check out.

It seems the bottom of the swim suit was part of a set, with the top missing. We went back and looked and looked, but no top. I asked if I could pay full price for just the bottom. Impossible. What about half price? Impossible. What will you do with this bottom? No answer. Walmart simply cannot handle unusual situations. The bottom that my granddaughter wanted, the only one that fit and matched her top, will very likely be discarded. Somehow this doesn't seem right.

16 comments:

  1. Mimi, have you paid all your outstanding bills? I have a friend that never leaves on a trip without doing that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A friend and I saw Wall-E this week - fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I treated myself to Wall-E, and loved it. It made me feel like a seven year old kid again, but in the good non-patronizing way! I love that feeling. I need to chase it more often.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susan, a good reminder. I only pay two bills, my two credit cards, but one of them does not allow much of a grace period. GP takes care of the rest.

    Wasn't the movie delightful?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wounded bird, wills, Wall-E, WalMart, waste (of swimsuit bottom), and temporary wallflower because of movie blindness.

    This must have been your "'W" post of the month. :)

    (Sorry, every once in a while the language geek comes out.)

    Good luck getting through your busy week. I don't like to be overscheduled either.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mimi, are you flying to KC or driving?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ruth, W maybe, but not THAT W, if you know what I mean.

    Lisa, we're flying.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's right, OBEY THE PJ!!!

    I'm glad you enjoyed the movie, Mimi. Wasn't it strange to go to Walmart after seeing that?

    Oh, and as for bathing suit tops and bottoms: there are companies that let you order different size tops and bottoms, but they're usually 'spensive. Land's End has a lot of 'em.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Obey PJ!!!

    Wow you are busy, have fun on your trip.

    I am only glad you are going because I am so behind on blog reading!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Shucks, Mimi. I know you'd probably fly. But I had a fantasy of snagging you en route and giving you a bit of Missouri entertainment.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lisa, if we were driving, we'd definitely squeeze in a meet-up. We thought of driving, but decided against it. We know Missouri entertainment, but not from your neck of the woods.

    ReplyDelete
  12. PJ, we did the Walmart House of Horrors before the movie. We were in a hurry for the suit. Really she needs a whole new bathing suit, but I will keep in mind the Lands End suggestion.

    Fran, I'm in the same fix re my blog reading. I'll be glad to see you go to LA, but if I know you, you'll blog from there and leave me right where I am.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yeah, Mimi, you should rent a car, make the trip to the hinterlands an see NE Missouri!

    ReplyDelete
  14. "Hi. My name is FranIam and I am powerless over my blogging."

    ReplyDelete
  15. Kirke, Maybe one day.

    Fran, if you're forming a group, I want in.

    "Hi. My name is Mimi and I am powerless over my blogging."

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.