Friday, August 8, 2008

My Therapy Session

For now, I seem to be mentally blocked from posting anything substantial until I tackle the specific parts that trouble me the most in the The Archbishop of Canterbury's concluding Presidential Address at the Lambeth Conference. If you like you can skip this post and write it off as my therapy session, because it will, very likely, be boring to most people.

The archbishop says:

What I am saying, in effect, is that every association of Christian individuals and groups makes some sort of ‘covenant’ for the sake of mutual recognition, mutual gratitude and mutual learning.

Of course we do. First of all, we have the New Covenant of Our Lord Jesus Christ, "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind; and your neighbour as yourself." We have the Creeds, in which we affirm our beliefs each time we gather in a Eucharistic celebration. Then, we have the Baptismal Covenant. Each time a Baptism takes place in a church, those baptized and the members of the congregation who are present affirm the Baptismal Covenant. Why another covenant? I don't see the need.

But let me turn briefly to another dimension of all this, so as to draw in considerations of other matters we’ve discussed. I have just said something of what might be involved in a covenanted future, and I believe - as I said on Thursday - that it has the potential to make us more of a church; more of a ‘catholic’ church in the proper sense, a church, that is, which understands its ministry and service and sacraments as united and interdependent throughout the world.

Now I find that statement downright scary. One of the reasons that I moved from the Roman Catholic Church to the Episcopal Church was my discomfort with the top-down governance in the RCC. This statement increases my suspicion that the archbishop and others in positions of authority want to move toward a more authoritarian structure in the Anglican Communion.

Speaking for myself, I don't want to be a world-wide Anglican Church. I want to remain an Anglican Communion. The world-wide Anglican Church is a pretty big pill to swallow, especially after the archbishop has already said:

A fellow-Christian may believe they have a profound fresh insight. They seek to persuade others about it. A healthy church gives space for such exchanges. But the Christian with the new insight can’t claim straight away that this is now what the Church of God believes or intends; and it quite rightly takes a long time before any novelty can begin to find a way into the public liturgy, even if it has been widely agreed. Confusion arises when what is claimed as a new discernment presents itself as carrying the Church’s authority.

The archbishop seems to be pushing a fresh insight, so how can he "claim straight away that this is now what the" Anglican Communion intends? Of course, the archbishop uses the expression "Church of God", instead of Anglican Communion, which confuses me further. "Church of God", "world-wide Anglican Church", Anglican Communion, which is it?

In 1998, the Windsor Report called for the moratoria on same-sex blessings and consecration of new bishops in faithful, partnered same-sex relationships. In 2008, the archbishop asks for the same moratoria. For how long? Ten more years? Until the next Lambeth? Until the "mind of the church" comes together? Until kingdom come?

But that’s a powerful reminder that a global church and a global faith are not just about managing internal controversy. Our global, Catholic faith affirms that the image of God is the same everywhere - in the Zimbabwean woman beaten by police in her own church, in the manual scavenger in India denied the rights guaranteed by law; in the orphan of natural disaster in Burma, in the abducted child forced into soldiering in Northern Uganda, in the hundreds of thousands daily at risk in Darfur and Southern Sudan, in the woman raising a family in a squatters’ settlement in Lima or Buenos Aires. This is the Catholic faith : that what is owed to them is no different from, no less than what is owed to any of the rest of us. That was the faith to which we witnessed in our march in London. And if the message of this Conference is silent about this, something has gone very wrong.

Aside from the "global church" thingy, it's a fine statement of what the Anglican Communion should be about, except that he neglects to mention the affirmation of "the image of God" in those who are arrested, tortured, beaten, and killed, even in his own land and my land, in the name of homophobia. What about them, Archbishop Williams?

In the months to come, we will see, according the archbishop, the appointment of a Pastoral Forum to support minorities (which minorities?), an Anglican Consultative Council meeting, a Primates Meeting, and a meeting of the Joint Standing Committee of the Primates and the ACC. In addition, in the year 2009, the Episcopal Church will meet at General Convention. Many meetings. We shall see.

Well, that seems to be enough for now. Catharsis! Perhaps, now I can move on.

26 comments:

  1. Well, we're back to one of the important concepts in that the TEC (and to some degree, Anglicans in Canada, Australia, and New Zealand as an offshoot of what we did) has roots that stem strongly from the concepts of the American Revolution and the Age of Enlightenment.

    It's the concept of what our General Convention is all about. We prayerfully do our thinking from the bottom up, thank you very much, and we don't cotton much to churching from the top down.

    Like you, I don't WANT to be part of a global Anglican church, I want to be a communion, bound together by a book of common prayer and the Baptismal Covenant. We are a "table centered" theology; no one person is bigger than the table!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My vote Mimi for Archbishop of Canterbury :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This doesn't bore me in the least, Mimi, even though I confess that I don't understand everything about what is going on.

    It's hard enough for me to keep up with my own church's "disagreements."

    But I agree with what you are saying. Bottom up, not top down. But it seems like a lot of church officials are trying to head in the other direction. I wonder why?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kirke, exactly.

    Brian, I am honored beyond what I can express, but I decline the office.

    Diane, it's interesting that you sense the same movement toward a more centralized authoritarian structure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love you too much to nominate you for bishop of anything BUT I think you'd rock as Cantuar!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not boring in the least.

    I agree with your post, and I love what kirkepiscatoid added.

    If I wanted this kind of global, universal church, "squelch what you believe for the sake of the global witness," blah blah blah, I'd go back to the RCC.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Paul, a rockin' Cantaur! What a thought.

    Ruth, we ex-RCC folks will need to speak up so that the bishops in TEC don't lose their spines. There are a lot of us.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Grandmere --this is indeed helpful. I, too, do not want to belong to an international church. I cherish the idea and reality of a communion with our covenant being based in baptism and Eucharist.

    There could be nothing better... But I would not send you to Canterbury --no! You should be our next presiding bishop!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It would be interesting to push back on the boundaries issue once the Pastoral Thingumee is appointed.

    Watch Akinola chewing the carpet when a liberal priest in Nideria seeks to be taken into the jurisdiction of the Pastoral Doodad because they don't accept the authoritarian intolerance of the Pope of Abuja.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ma très chère Grandmère,

    You are right on the money to be worried about this increased usage of the word, 'Church,' when applied to the Anglican Communion. There are a bunch of us who want to remain a communion and I suspect plenty of us in the House of Deputies (and Bishops) who will say next summer thanks, no thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Margaret, thanks for the compliment, but I would not want to be presiding bishop either. I'm not cut out for leadership, truly. If elected, I will not serve.

    Malcolm, thingumees, doodads, "oh, the do-da day". And wait until the tables turn and folks from the Church of England seek alternative oversight, and TEC sends flying bishops their way.

    Caminante, I pray that there are enough of us to stand and say "no" to the "church" idea.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The first time I read Rowan quoted as saying "Anglican Church" I experienced a sense of ominous dread.

    I don't want it either. But that "top down" approach is for real in many provinces of the Communion so people in those churches really don't think it's any big deal to make it happen on a global scale.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ellie, I thought I was joining the Episcopal Church. I didn't give much thought to my Episcopal diocese, much less to the Anglican Communion. I joined my local church. Now all that's changed, of course. I pay close attention now, but I wonder if I was not better off in my ignorance.

    I am concerned, and I pray that those in attendance at GC 2009 will share my concerns.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ruth, we ex-RCC folks will need to speak up so that the bishops in TEC don't lose their spines. There are a lot of us/

    Yup, there are.

    AND it's not just about bishops and spines but also about the power of the laity. We have mixed governance in TEC and we need to uphold this.

    And we Anglicans are BOTH Catholic and Reformed (or catholic and reformed, maybe that's a better way of writing it) -- and need to uphold the best senses of both those terms.

    ReplyDelete
  15. In order words, I'm with Kirke and Caminante...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Jane, it's sad to say, but I'm more confident about the laity and the clergy standing against the "church" new thing, than I am about the bishops. Thank God that we have a voice.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Mimi, you've hit on something very important...you are right in that the folks that have "been there, done that, and bought the t-shirt" are the "recovering RC's" in TEC. Y'all can make up a very significant voice at GC 2009.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Kirke, I'm thinking seriously about going to the convention, not in an official capacity, but as a lobbyist. Maybe there's a way we ex-RCCs could get together and express our opinions and concerns about the move towards top-down authority, which, for us, would definitely be a step backwards.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I hope you do it, Grandmere Mimi.

    Me, I'm a cradle Episcopalian but I'm every bit as horrified by the thought of having a magesterium and curia.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ellie, with your encouragement, I'll think even more seriously about making the trip.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Mimi, your misgivings are right on target. Thanks for this non-boring post.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for the affirmations. I thought I may be getting a tad paranoid here.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I would donate to your travel fund! I think when I reach retirement age, "activist" sounds like a good job.

    ReplyDelete
  24. P.S. It ain't paranoia if they ARE out to get you!

    ReplyDelete
  25. "I'm thinking seriously about going to the convention, not in an official capacity, but as a lobbyist."

    Really?????

    Like we could meet? Wouldn't that be NEAT!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Kirke, thanks for the offer, but I believe I can manage.

    Caminante, that would be more than neat.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.