Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Blue Tarps - My Obsession

Yes, I'm obsessed with FEMA's blue tarps to cover damaged roofs. They were stored in Texas before Gustav struck. One commenter here said that's where they should have been. I don't agree. There are places in Louisiana secure from wind and flooding where they can be stored, but even if Texas was the proper place for them, they should have been on their way to Louisiana as soon as the storm passed on Monday evening. They should have arrived on Tuesday.

No tarps came or were even on the way. Our governor, Bobby Jindal, sent the Louisiana National Guard to Texas to pick up the tarps, which arrived on Wednesday. He took the matter into his own hands. Good for him. He also used state money to purchase generators to keep essential services, like sewerage and water plants and gas stations operating. South Louisiana was also short of FEMA meals and water. What the hell does FEMA do with its big budget?

I have criticized Bobby Jindal many times recently, but I was impressed with his response to the disaster. He had the buses lined up and waiting for evacuees who had no means of transportation. He wanted things moving, and where FEMA fell short, he used his own state resources. His press conferences were too filled with numbers and statistics, but he was instrumental in getting help where it was needed. Again, I ask the question, "What is FEMA for? Where does their budget go?"

15 comments:

  1. I agree with you on Jindal. He did a good job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's the little things, ultimately - like blue tarps - that pull our last tired nerve.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, good on Governor Jindal.

    As for FEMA... effectively dismantled by Bush cronyism, just like the rest of the federal government. :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. As my cousin in Austin says, with leaders like what we have in Washington now, who needs terrorists.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't need a blue tarp, but they should have been there for those who did need them.

    Counterlight, your cousin in Austin be right. Tell him/her I said so.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope we don't end up with blue tarps in Corpus.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jan, prayers for you and your family, too. I knew I'd leave someone in Texas out. May God protect you all and keep you safe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fervantly hoping for the best for our TX friends (we have family there too)

    Gran'mére, did i read somewhere that you ahve a birthday celebration coming up? I'm going to give you a hug in advance because you have certainly earned it

    (((Mimi))) and may you have all the blue tarps you need!

    IT

    ReplyDelete
  9. IT, I guessed that Jesus would return on my birthday, which is on the 18th of this month. Watch out!

    You have given me a wonderful idea. I will make a skirt out of a discarded blue tarp and wear it proudly.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am glad to hear that essential services have been given some priority. Good for the proactive governor.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I heard something at work the other day about the insanity of the FEMA programs for temporary housing -- something about you have to be registered first, benefits are only available from some date after the storm hit, and not for any previously incurred hotel bills. I started googling and found a recent story at the Times-Picayne that explains it better -- there are two programs which are confusing because they are contradictory in some ways. It is here. The state's explanation is here.

    And those blue tarps.... Well, a report today says they have finally arrived - here FEMA claims they have given out 400,000 and more are coming. Of course it's FEMA doing the saying so.... who knows.

    Anyway, thinking of you all in Louisiana and Texas.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Klady, they were a tad slow with the blue tarps. Surprise! I got a chuckle out of the name of one of the contractors hired to attach the tarps - "S&M and Associates Inc." How about that?

    We had a place to stay which we did not have to pay for, and the storm still cost us quite a bit. Imagine how easy it would be for folks living from paycheck to paycheck to run out of money and max out their cards paying for gas, food, and a motel. Some were thrown out of their motels and had no money for gas to return home.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ah, Mimi, you southern ladies....first Scarlett with her curtains and now Mimi with her tarps!

    IT

    ReplyDelete
  14. "That's a lovely dress, dahlin' Mimi."

    "I saw it on the roof and couldn't resist."

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just like Scarlett. Well, close anyway. I'll post pictures of me modeling the skirt.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.