Thursday, September 11, 2008

Oh My! This Made Me Cry

Look at the beautiful gesture that some of my online and offline friends have made. I cried when I read about it. It's a lovely idea, and I'm touched beyond what I can express. Both Holy Foolishness and Fran had a hand in this, and if there are others, I'd like to give them credit, too.

Some of the same folks who were hit hard by Katrina were hit again by Gustav. Even now, as Ike passes south of the coastal areas in Louisiana, water is beginning to rise. From WWL-TV comes news that the authorities in low-lying areas are calling for evacuations.

The needs are great, and the Episcopal Diocese of Louisiana, along with volunteers from all around the world, have done a mighty work to aid not just churches and church people, but anyone who needs help. However, there is much more that needs doing as new needs arise in the wake of Hurricanes Gustav and Ike.

Thank you two lovely people for honoring me in this way. My birthday is one week away, and this is the best present in the world. I'm putting up a link on the sidebar, because I believe firmly that the Bishop Jenkins and the people in the diocese are doing God's work here in south Louisiana.

UPDATE: Below is a picture of the current storm surge in Louisiana and Texas.

10 comments:

  1. Aren't they absolute sweethearts for doing this ?! (already sent in my donation...)

    ::hugs:: David

    ReplyDelete
  2. David, you're a sweetheart, too. Thank you, love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holyfoolishness did all the work, I am just the mouthpiece.

    It is important to know that helping people is of import- and not just a media event.

    BTW Mimi, one of my commenters asked if the Mercy Corps was on the ground there. They always do international work, but I do know they did a ton of stuff around Katrina.

    But now- I don't know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fran, they are still in Louisiana. Here's the link to see some of what they're doing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is so heartwarming to see the outpouring of help that continues to be shown. I know that we here in Cedar Rapids and the area are so grateful to so many helping hands in the face of our own natural disaster. I am proud of my new Church and its continuing efforts to assist flood victims. No doubt there will be more in Texas soon. I wish I could do more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Silly question, but I'd better check before I do something I shouldn't do - is it okay to post a link to this?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mimi, this is a bit off topic, but you slipped in that comment about your birthday being in a week. It isn't by any chance the 18th, is it? That's when mine is.

    P.S. A donation is on its way.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Afeather, it is gratifying that folks reach out to help.

    Tim, link away. I'd be more than pleased if you did.

    Ruth! We have the same birthday!

    Thank you all!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Greta too? How lovely, indeed. We'll meet up and have a birthday party together in the heavenly kingdom.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.