Monday, October 20, 2008

Lunch With The Biddies

 

The Biddies - Class of 1952

On Saturday, Grandpère very kindly drove me to Mandeville, Louisiana, to Grillot's Oyster Bar and Restaurant for a luncheon with my high school classmates. Ours was a small class, only 22, so we all knew one another quite well, and many of us have kept in touch. Eleven attended the luncheon, which I think was quite a good turnout. One woman even came from California. Others are spread around the country, and a few have died. I attended an all girls Roman Catholic high school. I believe that, in many ways, separating the sexes in high school leads to better education, especially for girls.

GP was not going to eat with us, because he was the only man there, and he didn't want to spoil our fun. As though he would have spoiled our fun. Fortunately, another husband showed up, and the two of them entertained each other.

We reminisced about our high school days, laughed and joked quite a bit about how we are all falling apart physically and mentally. We did the usual passing around of pictures of children and grandchildren.

One woman brought a few old photos of us in our high school days. One showed three of us in shorts, short shorts, for bermuda shorts were not yet in style. We are on what looks like a cliff, posing like WWII pin-up girls. I cannot imagine where the cliff was, for we have very few cliffs around here. One girl is standing on a rock, hands on hips, the other posing on the grass, and I am sitting facing the camera, with one leg dangling over the side of the cliff, and the other leg propped up, bent at the knee, close to my body, and I'm holding my leg in the bent position. Well, there's quite a bit of my back thigh showing, even moving beyond thigh. What was I thinking? In those days the picture would have been quite shocking. If the nuns who taught us had ever seen it, they would have torn it up. We were often reminded that, wherever we were, we represented the school and not just ourselves.

Several of us went on to Loyola University after we graduated. We all spent time in the classroom of an elderly Jesuit philosophy professor. In his prime, he was a brilliant teacher, but when he taught us he was old and in decline. His wit was still sharp and biting, but he seemed to have lost certain of his inhibitions. He smelled bad, too.

We had quite a laugh over our time in his class when there were three girls named Tootsie, Teetsie, and Tessie. The old priest could never keep straight who was who. He'd say, "Tootsie, what are your thoughts on what I just said?" And she'd say, "First of all, I'm not Tootsie, I'm Tessie." And he'd go into his rant, "Tootsie, Teetsie, and Tessie in one class! How can I be expected to keep that straight?"

He called me Miss Best-Dressed, because, by some miracle, I was selected among the ten best-dressed coeds. I had very little money for clothes, so I still can't understand how that ever came to be.

 

Three Biddies

 

Here be the mens.

12 comments:

  1. How wonderful that you've kept in touch. I only keep in contact with one person I knew in high school

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so beautiful, grandmere. Gives me a little insight into why MP and I are so attracted to you, and I don't mean the Good-Will clothing junkets.

    I lost track of the one person from high school who was worth keeping track of. If anyone knows the whereabouts of the Rev. Sarah J. Melcher, please let me know.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to see the pix on the cliff - - oh my!! I went to a large HS - don't keep in touch with any of them. Had a good education tho- we had excellent teachers - very committed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A couple of the women are diligent about pushing us to meet from time to time. They're the force behind these gatherings, and I'm glad they are, because we enjoy one another immensely when we get together.

    Scott, thank you. What a lovely thing to say.

    Ann, I'd like to have that picture, too. I shall call the owner and find out where the damn cliff is, because I'm curious about that. Perhaps she could scan the photo and send it to me.

    I'm getting spammed on my blog by Andy Guo about Chinese lessons. What do I do? I don't want to use moderation or the letters in the box, but I may have to.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I love this post.

    Biddies? I can only hope to be one in another 20 years, y'all are gorgeous!

    Thanks for sharing this Mimi.

    ReplyDelete
  6. BTW I had about 12 spam comments from Andy and he started to "follow" my blog. I blocked him and deleted allt he robospam comments.

    UGH.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, Mimi, I love this. I have a question...in your picture of the 3 "girls" or Biddies, is the one in the middle now living in California?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Susan, no. But, sadly, she has ovarian cancer. She has one more chemo treatment to go, and if this series of treatments don't work, there is really no more that can be done for her medically. She needs prayer. Another member of the group has colon cancer for which there are no further treatments available.

    That's the bittersweet part of gatherings of people our age, and that's the reason that I'm glad I made the effort to go, and that I will do so in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so glad you stayed in touch and got a chance to gather. Y'all look quite formidable but that may just be because I've met you! Thanks for reporting back and sharing some reminiscences.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're looking very good for a bunch of broads who graduated high school in the fifties. And impressive that 50% - and more, I assume - of you are alive and kicking. Guess the nuns (was it nuns?) taught you to live right.

    You're saving the "Spot the Dyke" competition for tomorrow's post?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm with Ann, I want to see that "pinup" picture myself ;->

    ReplyDelete
  12. David, it's wicked, but I'll see what I can do.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.