Sunday, October 5, 2008

Pet Blessing In Seattle

Promoted from the comments:

Blogger KJ said...

I had so much fun at church today, with all the critters, animal and human, that it must have been sinful. St. Mark's in Seattle is a big, ugly, "Holy Box", on the central portion of the nave that was to be a gothic cathedral, so ugly that it's beautiful in its own way. Throw a bunch of animals, including a chatty lovebird, in the reverberant expanse, add a fabulous pipe organ, and stir. What a great sound! A friend of mine who is blind, giggled through most of the service.

Serving as an acolyte, I got to see most of the animals in attendance, and the critters joined the procession out.

Sadly, I could not take The Wiener for the festival, as he would have wanted to bite the arse of every other dog. So, I had to satisfy myself with greeting all the other dogs I possibly could (Sharing the peace has never been as much fun. I think the Mad One would become downright huggy in such a setting.). My favorite moment was while kneeling down to greet a gorgeous Golden Retriever, she felt that it was necessary that that our foreheads touch; the Golden that owned me when I was in high school would do the same thing. I think she was blessing me!


Thanks, KJ. If you had supplied a picture, it would be perfect. However, because of your excellent descriptive writing skills, I can almost see it.

5 comments:

  1. I feel blessed just reading this. Thanks to KJ and to Mimi for posting it. And thanks be to Godde for all critters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanted to take my camera, but it was my Sunday to serve as an acolyte. Next year!


    My first Festival of St. Francis, being a post-Evangelical boy, I said, "Huh?" Now I completely get it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can offer some pictures from St. Francis day last year. This year they took it outside and I could not go, so sorry, not pics.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jan, thanks. I remember seeing those lovely pictures. In fact, I left a comment. That was quite a variety of critters y'all had.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.