Sunday, November 16, 2008

Clarification On The Blogging Break

When I first began blogging, I wrote what I really wanted to write. By some unfathomable aligning of the stars, I became what I considered a "success" as a blogger. People read and responded in numbers beyond what I ever believed possible.

Then, at some point, blogging morphed into what I should write, rather than what I wanted to write. This or that cause was so good and important that I must write about it. The pressure was on, but who was putting pressure on me? Me, myself, and I, that's who.

Then, as my readership increased, the desire for even more readers began to creep into my motivation for writing. I'm embarrassed to say that. It's shameful, but it's true. I was a success, and I wanted to be even more of a success. But what is success, and what is it worth, if your motivation becomes skewed so that success means more than loving what you do? I stopped loving what I was doing.

The intrusion of the blog into my everyday life began to get out of control. I had to write about this, and I had to write about that, and I had my online public to whom I was responsible, but my relationships with the real people in my life suffered for it. I tried to cut back, but I could not, and thus I came to the conclusion that I must stop altogether, at least for a while.

When and if I start blogging again, (and I probably shall) I want to enjoy it. I don't want to feel pressured to write at all, not even about excellent causes, unless the cause is what I want to write about. There are many good folks out there writing about those causes, and I must accept that I cannot save the world. And I never, ever want to let numbers of readers and responses in the comments effect what I write again.

17 comments:

  1. Oh! Now comments are open,...(what to say)...(Giggles).

    You're JUST FINE WITH ME, Mimi!

    Ignore the rest,...I only matter!!

    I and my entourage....Father, Son, and Holy Ghost! (Spirit for the grammatically challenged.)

    If you feel bad, call me... We'll help each other out!!

    dagreen130@msn.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this may is probably true for many of us...

    Interesting, and scary.

    ;=)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Clarifications are not blogging. ;o) Just sayin'.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a bit like a drug, isn't it? Probably a good time for a break

    As I said to Lisa at My-Manner, time to recharge and refocus for all of us.

    But I don't think I'm going cold turkey just yet. ;-)

    IT

    ReplyDelete
  5. If it's not fun, something's wrong.

    The Blogosphere can be a dangerous black hole of emotion and energy (I'm going to set aside the addiction stuff for now.). I love the give and take of it, but abhor the political, secular and ecclesiastical, nature of much of it. For me, there is too often a call to hate and ridicule those with whom I am not in agreement, and I find when I fall into that trap, my joy and energy are gone. It begins to take on a life of its own. So, I try to avoid that pitfall.

    However, that does not mean I can't have a good time, and if that is directed towards ecclesiastical leaders who would place, as opposed to lift burdens, I think that we're engaged in The Dance.

    Dance!

    Peace

    ReplyDelete
  6. me too, Mimi. I used to obsess over my "technorati" rating, and get depressed whenever it went down.

    I'm glad you are back.

    what would I do without you????

    ReplyDelete
  7. IT, obviously, I did not go far on cold turkey.

    KJ, I know what you mean. At times I fall into the trap, and no good comes from it.

    Diane, that way lies madness. Thank you for the kind words.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mimi,

    The sign of a genuine steel magnolia is knowing where and when to shift energy, and of course having some fun along the way. You have declared your self sane (though I do see you have some posts, so perhaps the shift will be slight. A lady always has the option of changing her mind as often as she wishes).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Must...read...blogs...! Must...post...something, anything!

    I've become a terrible addict myself. This is worse than teevee.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just smilin' here, knowing as we all do that we're all in da same boat one way or t'other.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't get many readers, but I have to say that blogging put me in touch with many people I would have never met online. I have been lucky enough to meet a few in person (latest one this weekend and was amazing!)

    That's why I do it. My readership will never be huge, but it has been an amazing experience.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A lady always has the option of changing her mind as often as she wishes

    Lynn, thank goodness for that.

    Counterlight, it didn't take you long to fall into the trap, did it?

    Scott, am I truly in the boat with you? I am honored beyond what I can say. What better boat to be in?

    Dan, you are one of the many that I had the pleasure of meeting. Right now, I am listening to your Bach Contata. It's lovely. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think we all suffer from this push pull kinda thing. We all get addicted, myself included. From time to time, I wish to pitch it all and do something "more productive." My best advice is to return first to what you wish to talk about, which I do periodically. And second, don't worry about what others may think. I become addicted to my readers, and worry why this one or that has stopped stopping by. Visit those you like, as often as you, and don't feel guilty about those you can't get to. We all have lives. I have set aside a couple of extra hours which I sawed off my blogging time to read and knit. I find it works well. Take the time you need, but I sure hope you will continue because your words are so true and interesting to boot.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh yes, grandmere, you are indeed. And I with you. Or is that, "and also with you"?

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Never having had to struggle with blog-fame myself I have been pretty lucky in this respect. Plus, I just have the blog for myself, because once I put something out there it seems easier to let go. I am a little bit self-centered like that. I hope you find the right center point for yourself because I'd hate for you to go away for very long.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you all. When I first started blogging, I did it for myself. I need to get back to that. My little burst of fame did me no good.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.