Saturday, November 15, 2008

Thibodeauxville

Thibodeauville is an annual festival in downtown Thibodaux to remind the folks who live here that we still have a downtown area with shops and restaurants. We are not restricted to shopping at the big box stores and chain restaurants on North Canal Boulevard, an area of bloated blight from the day that it developed. Sadly, many of the locally owned businesses have closed, because they could not compete with the big box stores.

Grandpère and I went last Saturday, a beautiful day, sunny and cool. We had lunch there. GP had pastalaya, which is jambalaya made with pasta instead of rice, and I had a crab cake on a bun. Then we walked around, chatting with folks we knew along the way, looked at the cars and the arts and crafts, where I bought four hand towels, each embroidered with a different fleur-de-lis. However, I bought them as gifts, so I'm giving them away. We listened to the music for a while. Then, we came home.

The Booths

The booths are for sellers of arts and crafts.


The Food Tents

For food and food and food. Shown below is a sign featuring the kind of food offered at the festival.


Display Of Old Cars And Trucks

The truck pictured is a 1957 Chevrolet truck. On our little farm in New Roads, we have a 1964 Chevrolet truck, which closely resembles the truck in the picture.


Music And Dancing

The girls are line dancing.


God Was There


Jesus Was There


Nancy Drew's Sporty Maroon Roadster

I know. This one is purple, but it's close enough. And I also know that in some of the stories, the roadster was blue.


Cute Dogs

Last, but, most certainly, not least. What can I add? Awww.



10 comments:

  1. One of my cute dog pictures disappeared during posting, so I had to load it back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The second picture disappeared again. I had to reload. What's going on?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aaarrgghhh! "Cute" dogs. Where's my cattle prod?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Small town business people are on hard times now and always against the big Walmart jerks who simply sell it cheaper. It's hard to stay away from them if you are money strapped for sure. Yet, I wish I could support the small shop owners more. I can but guess at the love they have for their own enterprise./

    ReplyDelete
  5. I shop the locally owned supermarket, even though it's more expensive than Walmart, the only alternative, but partly because I simply can't stand to go there. At times, I must, because they're the only outlet that supplies what I need.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Where's my cattle prod?

    DP, for the people, then, right?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Boudin and alligator...

    Oh, I bet the food was tasty!

    IT

    ReplyDelete
  8. IT, boudin is a tasty sausage. I've eaten alligator, and it's not bad. It's more the idea of it than the taste of it that puts me off.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loves me some boudin, yes I do :)

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.